Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The World’s Most Scenic Railway Journeys, Minute by Minute!
carmella
post 4th Jan 2020, 07:11pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Ever since the 50s, I have loved steam train journeys. I often accompanied my dad on the Starlight Special from Glasgow to London Euston, as we travelled in stages to visit my relatives down in Kent. Those memories have stayed with me.

These days you could say I just love train journeys. Indeed, I would happily travel around the world so long as it was on a train, preferably a steam one.

Tonight on Channel 5 I watched the lovely journey from Fort William to Mallaig referred to as “ the most scenic railroad journey in the world”, it was breathtaking!

This is a journey I have wanted to take all of my life, yet never had the opportunity.

I am so grateful to the makers of this series for doing it.

Wonderful to see how beautiful our country is. I have been to the Highlands several times, but never by train! thumbup.gif

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 4th Jan 2020, 08:31pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
nice memories there Carmella. Scotland is really gorgeous. I absolutely vividly remember my first train trip,I was 4 years old,during the war,going to my aunties in Manchester for a holiday. The most significant part was,during the journey which seemed to be a dark blur,we saw open land,beautiful meadows,which seemed to stretch forever,and all I could think of,this was the pictures in my story book ,seeing them in real life. Then Manchester ! the cotton mills,dark dreary streets,no different to what we`d left behind in Glasgow,my big cousins coming home from work in the cotton mills with their turbans on,I thought then when I`m big I`ll wear a turban. never did !

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Jan 2020, 10:25pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Taurus that’s a great reply. Our memories are worth holding on to.

Amazing how we change through the years, from our minds as children. Oh for the simple things in life eh!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 5th Jan 2020, 08:07am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Hello Carmella, if you ever get to the South Island of New Zealand, you would just love two amazing train trips. First, the Trans Alpine from Christchurch to Greymouth on the West Coast. Amazing scenery, travelling through the mountains. I had done the road trips several times but only by train last April with my two sisters.

The second train trip is from Christchurch to Picton, connecting with the inter-island ferry. This is the Trans Coastal route which re-opened last year following a huge earthquake which wrecked the rail lines a few years ago.

I wish I could do some more train travel in Scotland but sadly 2017 was my last visit - it is just too far to get there from here!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th Jan 2020, 08:24am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 5th Jan 2020, 08:07am) *
Hello Carmella, if you ever get to the South Island of New Zealand, you would just love two amazing train trips. First, the Trans Alpine from Christchurch to Greymouth on the West Coast. Amazing scenery, travelling through the mountains. I had done the road trips several times but only by train last April with my two sisters.

The second train trip is from Christchurch to Picton, connecting with the inter-island ferry. This is the Trans Coastal route which re-opened last year following a huge earthquake which wrecked the rail lines a few years ago.

I wish I could do some more train travel in Scotland but sadly 2017 was my last visit - it is just too far to get there from here!

It is too far for me these days too, also I am a full time carer so there is not much chance, but I have watched many documentary train journeys, and your description I am sure I have seen. New Zealand is a beautiful country. I have friends who visit their daughter every couple of years who often talk about it.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
zascot
post 5th Jan 2020, 10:52am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Great topic Carmella, you have just brought back great memories. We have done 2 trips over here and both were fantastic, they were each about 6 days, the first trip we flew to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe then by train went through Zim then travelled through Zambia down through the east side of South Africa then on to Jhb. The second trip we flew to Namibia then travelled by train up to Etosha game reserve down through the skeleton coast , down the west coast of Africa to Cape Town then flew back to Johannesburg Both trips on the same train which takes about 70 passengers and travels with its own Mercedes 15 seaters so train by night then during the day visit all the places of interest on the Mercs.
I`ve attached photos to show the train with the travelling Mercs and the old dining car.. The good thing was we had a great crowd of people on both trips which helps if you are together for 6 days
You may just have cost me money as my wife just seen the photos I`ve put on and will probably be in the agents tomorrow.
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 5th Jan 2020, 10:55am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Is`nt it nice to have a topic wher people can exchange thoughts without arguing. Like old times.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Jan 2020, 11:45am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Zascot i can see where your wife would be in a big rush to go back on that train,the dining car looks like every movie with a train that I have ever watched,so elegant,and old world. A far cry from mc Donalds eh.The tables on the right hand side, I can just see Steve Martin (the con man) sitting there ,in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 5th Jan 2020, 12:27pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 5th Jan 2020, 12:45pm) *
Zascot i can see where your wife would be in a big rush to go back on that train,the dining car looks like every movie with a train that I have ever watched,so elegant,and old world. A far cry from mc Donalds eh.The tables on the right hand side, I can just see Steve Martin (the con man) sitting there ,in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Taurus it was fantastic, old carriages revamped but still in the old style. Great mixture of guests, fantastic guides, great to travel late afternoon till early morning the back on the 15 seaters to see the country. We even went through the dessert dune racing in 4 x 4s Trip of a lifetime and surprisingly not too expensive. As you say dining room and bar still in the old style with service fantastic. Better stop rambling I`m getting itchy feet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zascot
post 5th Jan 2020, 01:14pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Once again off topic but when we were in Namibia we went to a bar in a dodgy part of Swakopmund and found this L shaped pool table, never seen one notice the level adjusting mechanism on the front leg biggrin.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th Jan 2020, 05:17pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (zascot @ 5th Jan 2020, 10:55am) *
Is`nt it nice to have a topic wher people can exchange thoughts without arguing. Like old times.

Absolutely it is.

What terrific memories and great pictures. Due to serious health reasons of my husband, our travelling days have ceased to be. I love to watch documentaries about trains, especially the famous ones. You have the Blue Train In SA. Well, we once made a bucket list in the days when money was tight. Ironically, we can now afford the luxury, but not physically possible, so I tell my younger relatives save hard and do it because your life can literally change overnight.

Love your descriptions Zascot, brilliant!

Incidentally, you are not off topic, as this is a free for all discussion🤪
QUOTE (zascot @ 5th Jan 2020, 01:14pm) *
Once again off topic but when we were in Namibia we went to a bar in a dodgy part of Swakopmund and found this L shaped pool table, never seen one notice the level adjusting mechanism on the front leg biggrin.gif

Attached Image

🤔🤔😀😀😀

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Jan 2020, 08:39pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
this wee story has to do with a train,not scenic or fabulous but ironic. Our local train is the only one to run straight in to the airport,so the temptation to pick up by train rather than drive 55 KLMs and pay parking is very high. Our daughter was coming from England ,arriving at 8pm, on a Saturday night,so away we go for the 6 pm train.. track work !!! train sitting going no where . I said to husband lets get the car (in the car park) and just drive,he said no,still quicker on the train,for over an hour drive on the busy road. The train,went all around the metropolitan train line with the diversion,ended up at Sydney,where we still had to catch the train in to the airport,nerves shattered ,tempers flared,watch worn out checking the time. We had visions of her standing forlorn,but when we got there 9 ish,they still hadn`t disembarked,there was a medical emergency with a passenger,who took precedence,so happy ending,she came out and we were there after all that angst.
The journey home ??? same problem in reverse on and off 3 different trains with all her big suitcases,,we got in our house at midnight,she said pour me a Scotch,I`m still on British time.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th Jan 2020, 10:04pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Oh great wee story, but at the same time I was feeling sorry for you all.

One of the things, if I could choose, would be to travel by train as you get leg room, and I personally find it more relaxing, and less stressful.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Jan 2020, 11:42pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I have many memories of train journeys, but an incident involving a long, long train in Canada is one I will never forget. I was 12 years old, working the summer months delivering milk, by means of a small truck. This was in a fruit farms area.

If you can imagine a gigantic rectangle, in which a number of country roads ran parallel to each other, running North to South, then a railway line running East to West cutting across them, roughly half way up.

Well this what I was faced with when I had my first attempt at driving a motor vehicle. The milkman who had just returned from active service in the Canadian army at Dieppe, took me by surprise. He was driving up one of the roads and suddenly said to me, “Would you like to have a go at driving kid?
I thought I was to sit on his lap. No he meant, “Take the wheel”!

I am sure many of you will have seen movies where the farm roads are long and straight and the dust is flying everywhere, and a train comes into view. In Canada in those days, if you stopped as a train went past, you might as well have a sandwich lunch. They seemed to never end.

The ‘level’ crossings weren’t level. Just before the tracks the ground rose up. The tracks were well above street level. So as I am driving for the first time ever, I hear a train whistle, and see a train coming from my right. “Give it the gun Dan, we will be bloody late with our deliveries”. Jack was standing on the running board making sure everything was OK.

So we go up the rise, shoot over the tracks and down the gradient. Felt real chuffed with myself, especially when the train driver hooted at me.

But trouble lay ahead. No traffic passed us in either direction in this long country road. But all good things have to come to an end. Eventually we would come to the junction with the main highway to Niagara Falls. I was instructed to stop near the junction, but when I saw all the traffic I panicked, and accelerated.

“What the hell are you doing”, I can still hear, as Jack grabbed the steering wheel and turned us safely to the right. Needless to say, both of us were shattered by the time we pulled over and stopped.

Poor Jack obviously thought as we were on a country road, with no traffic, what could go wrong?

For some reason or other he never asked me to drive again.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Jan 2020, 12:33am
Post #15

City Key Holder
hair raising story Danny,great adventure though for a wee Glasgow boy,and you`re still here to post,so you made it !
Carmella you would have loved the programme on our TV last year on the SBS (Special Broadcastin Service) and it`s a bit quirky with what they show. They decided to show the train going from one of the capital cities,away up to the Northern Territory,that would have taken about 7 days,and it was on for the whole time,and not belting along at 100 mph ,just moseying along,it didn`t get a lot of viewers I have to say,well it probably started off with viewers who didn`t take long to fall asleep. I actually saw the DVD advertised for sale,glutton for punishment anyone who bought it. It was nice right enough to see it pass all the wee towns,but in no time back on to barren landscape for what seemed like eternity.So you love trains ? right up your alley tongue.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.