Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Matter Where You Are!, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL.
carmella
post 1st Jan 2020, 06:49pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
All the best for 2020, and the new decade.

My thoughts are with those less fortunate at this time of year, and those suffering the horrendous loss of property and lives in Southern Australia!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 1st Jan 2020, 07:41pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Wishing you a Happy New Year too, hopefully a peaceful one around the World. I've been horrified at the scenes from the fires in Australia and very much concerned for the Australian people.

Yesterday, we had a hot day here in Christchurch (31 deg.) but very dark skies and no sun to be seen due to the smoke coming over from Oz. Today is a bit brighter but the sky is still dark and hazy.

I am just getting back on the Glasgow Guide after a long period and look forward to some interesting conversations.

All the best, Carmella.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
taurus
post 1st Jan 2020, 07:50pm
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
thank you carmella,hope for a better 2020 for all of us.In almost 60 years here,this has been the most terrifying,we`ve seen many bushfires,years ago kept our 5 grand childen safe in our home,while their suburb was devastated,but horrific as that was,it can`t compare to this,it`s been going on non stop since November started. One of my grand children is due to be married in 3 weeks right down the coast where the worst of it is happening ,I feel in my heart,this won`t be over by then,and her lovely wedding arrangements will mean nothing ,in view of the tragedy nearby.It could even be cancelled.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 1st Jan 2020, 10:57pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Nice to see you post both of you. As you will realise we have no concept here of just how widespread these fires can be, and that these people live with all the time when the temperatures rise and not just that aspect alone, hurried along by strong winds.

Sadly, it won’t be over quickly.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
zascot
post 2nd Jan 2020, 07:56am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Thank you Carmella, Happy New Year to you and all on this site, hope they get some rains in Oz soon. It may seem strange in Uk but even here in South Africa when we get those long dry periods even a cigarette thrown from a car can cause tremendous damage, we even get prayer days organised by some religious groups though this year we have been lucky, the dams are all nearly full.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 2nd Jan 2020, 12:43pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
All the best to you Carmella, and to everyone. I am sure that most of us will be full of concern for all the people in Australia who have been, and will be, seriously affected by the wildfires.

Danny

+Quote Post
carmella
post 2nd Jan 2020, 01:49pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
I am sitting in my conservatory today catching up with some things, and listening to the sound of the extremely heavy rain as it lashes the roof and windows as it seems non stop. I think we have nothing to complain about.

If I could shift this rain and batter Australia with it, life would feel good!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 2nd Jan 2020, 02:31pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Happy New Year to all on GG.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Jan 2020, 06:43pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (DannyH @ 2nd Jan 2020, 01:43pm) *
All the best to you Carmella, and to everyone. I am sure that most of us will be full of concern for all the people in Australia who have been, and will be, seriously affected by the wildfires.

Danny

rolleyes.gif while i was tuning my violin,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 2nd Jan 2020, 07:49pm
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
your post is certainly relevant Wombat,nothing the PM can do about the weather,Australia is a hot country,period, but for our PM to take off on a jaunt to Hawaii,he`s sh** in his own nest I fear.Going away looked callous,coming straight back made him look weak.As for the thousands being rescued from the beach in the ships,mostly holidaymakers,they knew as the rest of us did,the fire chief has been warning the people for weeks before,think twice about going on holidays at this crucial time. it`s the old "she`ll be right " Australian attitude,that thinking is old hat. This proves it.One year without a holiday at the coast wouldn`t have hurt.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Jan 2020, 08:14pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 2nd Jan 2020, 07:49pm) *
your post is certainly relevant Wombat,nothing the PM can do about the weather,Australia is a hot country,period, but for our PM to take off on a jaunt to Hawaii,he`s sh** in his own nest I fear.Going away looked callous,coming straight back made him look weak.As for the thousands being rescued from the beach in the ships,mostly holidaymakers,they knew as the rest of us did,the fire chief has been warning the people for weeks before,think twice about going on holidays at this crucial time. it`s the old "she`ll be right " Australian attitude,that thinking is old hat. This proves it.One year without a holiday at the coast wouldn`t have hurt.

rolleyes.gif oops their goes his knighthood rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 3rd Jan 2020, 07:34am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
The experts are saying the current fires are going to last for a long time.

Very many of the fire fighters are volunteers, men in their 50s and 60s who have been doing this for for many hours, over weeks. They are tired I wonder how long they can continue like this.

Many people have been saved and rescued. Most animals will flee but the natural instincts of the Koala is to climb up the trees, they won’t run, they will climb. Such sad consequences.

I watched a fire fighter give water to a Kola from a bottle, cute but also sad.

We have our differences Wombat, but I’m glad you are ok, although I have no idea if you are living in or near any of the affected areas!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 4th Jan 2020, 08:42pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wombat @ 2nd Jan 2020, 06:43pm) *
rolleyes.gif while i was tuning my violin,

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 4th Jan 2020, 09:00pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Does your PM like Koala Burgers on the Barbie Wombat?

+Quote Post
wombat
post 4th Jan 2020, 09:29pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
meat pies rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.