Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Read Any Good Books Lately, Our Glasgow
enrique
post 8th Mar 2014, 12:19pm
Post #1

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
thumbup.gif Having just read Our Glasgow by Piers Dudgeon, i noticed that a lot of the book was covered by people who lived at each particular time and how it was so alike to our boards when we hear from the older people of times past, great memories of both hard times and good times , the overall story of the book goes full circle , as well as nodding my head at statements and experiences in the book the author also explains the changes of lifestyles and difficulties of each creed that was in Glasgow ,and how each section of society gradually learned to live with each other, as the book goes on, he very cleverly points out that what was happening then, and how the people evolved together is in fact happening now with the new immigrants, a good read
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 8th Mar 2014, 12:29pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Enrique, this looks good. I'll take a note of it as I love reading about this old city. You might be interested in an old guide I'm addicted to. It's Rambles Round Glasgow (1860) by Hugh MacDonald. See how Glasgow was then and compare it to now. Fascinating free read on Google.
http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Ramb...amp;redir_esc=y

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 8th Mar 2014, 02:57pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The Count of Monte Cristo, dont know when I enjoyed a book so much.For non readers the DVD with Gerald Depardieu is excellent.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Mar 2014, 03:05pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 8th Mar 2014, 04:14pm) *
The Count of Monte Cristo, dont know when I enjoyed a book so much.For non readers the DVD with Gerald Depardieu is excellent.

Joop, would you like it if people got your name wrong ?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 8th Mar 2014, 03:55pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Bilbo you can call me anything.Its a long time since Ive been pulled up for my spelling.
Did you enjoy the book? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Mar 2014, 02:01pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell was recently given to me as a present by a German mate who'd read it first in German then tried to read it in English (which he'd studied along with Germanic at Basel Uni.).
First chapter blew his mind laugh.gif
I'll have to read the German language edition now to see how the translater coped. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 9th Mar 2014, 05:20pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th Mar 2014, 03:22pm) *
Joop, would you like it if people got your name wrong ?

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 4th Mar 2014, 10:21am) *
If you really want to discuss members' grammar and spelling, contrary to the Board's rules, I suggest you open a new topic, where we can all have a ball - well maybe not some. cool.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 9th Mar 2014, 05:43pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 9th Mar 2014, 05:55pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 8th Mar 2014, 05:12pm) *
Bilbo you can call me anything.Its a long time since Ive been pulled up for my spelling.
Did you enjoy the book? rolleyes.gif

Hi Joop, As a young lad I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it, along with Alexandre Dumas's other well known works, The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. BTW I did not point it out as a spelling error, but to correct your naming of the actor. I am glad you took my post in good part, as no offence was intended.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 9th Mar 2014, 07:23pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Far from it Bilbo.Im just delighted you responded..and have read the book.I think it was in my house for decades before I picked it up.
Mathieson, read anything good?
Bilbo,Did one of your old posts just bite you on the bot? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 9th Mar 2014, 07:40pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Mar 2014, 08:40pm) *
Far from it Bilbo.Im just delighted you responded..and have read the book.I think it was in my house for decades before I picked it up.
Bilbo,Did one of your old posts just bite you on the bot?

Och, I like a wee bite on the bum from time to time. Erm, let me qualify that statement! wub.gif

Mathieson only reads bad things, and then posts them ! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Mar 2014, 08:06pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (enrique @ 8th Mar 2014, 12:36pm) *
thumbup.gif Having just read Our Glasgow by Piers Dudgeon
a good read

Indeed it is enrique, i haven't read it for some time but came across it at the back of a cupboard a couple of weeks ago, so i will maybe give it another read.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Mar 2014, 08:15pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Mar 2014, 02:18pm) *
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell was recently given to me as a present by a German mate who'd read it first in German then tried to read it in English (which he'd studied along with Germanic at Basel Uni.).
First chapter blew his mind laugh.gif
I'll have to read the German language edition now to see how the translater coped. laugh.gif

I don't want to dumb things down THH, but the movie is out on DVD with Tom Hanks and Halle Berry and Glasgow double's for both San Francisco and London.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 9th Mar 2014, 08:25pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Mar 2014, 07:40pm) *

Hi Jupiter, my reading comes in fits and starts, usually around holiday times relaxing on the beach or at the pool, so nothing since last summer.
However, I have a stack of books kindly supplied by my sister that I plan to get through this year : mostly from Ian Rankin, with a few from David Baldacci, Michael Connelly and others in the spy/thriller genre.

Plan to read '12 Years a Slave' as I saw the film and thought it was very powerful.

The last two books I read was a book on the Confederate Army in the American Civil War (one strictly for the enthusiast as it was full of the logistics of their war effort) and a biography of David Bowie. Nae difference! laugh.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 9th Mar 2014, 11:44pm
Post #15

I am reading the new "REBUS" book and I suppose by now "all of youse" will have read it. Found it very slow going until near the end when it all came together. I am also into volume one and two of Simon Schama's "A History of Britain" Somewhat hard ploughing but detailed in its' treatment of Edward 1. to Bannock Burn and the Stuart Dynasty. Very hard going over Alfred and the Wessex kings. Antonia Fraser is much more entertaining.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Aug 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.