Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Public Halls Demolished, Historic halls are demolished
d.c.
post 27th Dec 2012, 12:58pm
Post #1

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
It's the end as historic halls are demolished

Work has started to knock down the former Springburn Public Halls after it was found to have "significant damage".

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/its-the...10998n.19755380
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 27th Dec 2012, 01:23pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
This morning, in what can only be described as an act of Cultural Vandalism, Glasgow City Council demolished Springburn Public Halls. This historic building was closed by the council over 25 years ago for various reasons (They claimed!).

Since then it has lain abandoned by the council and allowed to deteriorate. If, as alleged, the building was sinking, why is it that the adjacent tenement property shows no sign of a similar fate? Keppochhill Road was closed on Friday night in order that investigations could be made on the building.

The Council claims the building had become dangerous since its last inspection a year ago. If the building was that unsafe why were inspections not made on a more regular basis?

I suggest that the plan of the council, was to demolish it anyway, they waited 25 to achieve this and no doubt will be congratulating themselves on achieving this!

Not content with ripping the heart out of the community of Springburn in past years, the council continues to treat Springburn and it's history in a cavalier fashion.

Clr Allan Stewart, Springburn Councillor and deputy Lord Provost, HANG YOUR HEAD WITH SHAME ON THIS DISGRACEFUL DAY IN GLASGOW'S HISTORY!

Alex

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 27th Dec 2012, 01:45pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
I remember going to springburn park every year at easter to roll our easter eggs down a hill. great times. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 27th Dec 2012, 03:46pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Who can be surprised at this disgusting act of vandalism by a cooncil that is in need of its own bringing down?? Its exactly this type of Ethnic Cleansing that is happening in my own backyard in Dalmarnock.... just wiping away all the history and culture and people and replacing it with tacky crap. I am with Alex.... a disgraceful day for the real Glasgow!! sad.gif

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 27th Dec 2012, 04:14pm
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Another shocking waste of our history gone.. and all because this lovely place was left to rot like a lot more... what are they thinking doing this..?

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Dec 2012, 04:16pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A letter to the Herald today:
It is with profound concern that I write regarding the future of the B-listed Springburn Public Halls, a historic landmark at the junction of Keppochhill Road and Millarbank Street. An emergency intervention by Glasgow City Council, ostensibly to make the building safe, has resulted in the partial demolition of the north elevation.

The east and south facades of the building that face onto Millarbank Street/Springburn Road and Keppochhill Road respectively along with their incredible James Sherriff sculptural detailing of locomotives, engineering and the city s coat of arms remain intact but it would appear they too are at imminent risk of demolition.

This building once formed the social heart of the district of Springburn; originally promised to its citizens by Glasgow Corporation as a fillip for Springburn Burgh joining the City of Glasgow in 1872. In the event, the building was gifted to the community by the local industrialist and philanthropist Sir Hugh Reid, who owned Neilson, Reid & Company, the operator of the nearby Hyde Park Locomotive Works.

Designed in the Edwardian Baroque style by William B Whitie who would subsequently design the Mitchell Library the hall was opened on May 16, 1902. It functioned as Springburn Sports Centre from 1960, until it was closed and effectively abandoned by Glasgow District Council in 1985 apparently due to emerging dry rot problems soon after the opening of Springburn Leisure Centre in 1984.

It has since languished in a state of increasing dilapidation, despite numerous frustrated attempts to restore it to some form of productive use.

The building is in an acutely perilous state. I urge the councillors and officials responsible to expedite any option to retain the south and east facades of the building, including their outstanding sculptures, before further demolition work. There is significant precedent in saving the facades of endangered listed buildings in the city, notably in the restoration of the former GPO building in George Square and the former Olympia Cinema at Bridgeton Cross, recently revitalised by Clyde Gateway as a library and amateur boxing facility.

The Springburn Public Halls could become a potent symbol of the district s rebirth from its calamitous industrial decline hopefully expedited with the construction of the 2018 Youth Olympics Village at nearby Sighthill.

Demolition of this fine listed building, one of the last remaining buildings of historical significance in the whole of north Glasgow, would erase one of the last vestiges of a once thriving and industrious community and is utterly unacceptable.

Mr Sweeney, Bishopbriggs.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 27th Dec 2012, 04:37pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Sad day to see such a building disappear and know that there will never ever be anothe structure like it built in the city.Would this have been allowed to happen in London,Paris Rome? I doubt it.
Mind you from an organisation who see fit to ravish George Square is it any surprise?

+Quote Post
beezzneezz1
post 27th Dec 2012, 05:20pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 6,906
What ever happened to let Glasgow flourish , sad to see the building away tonight as i passed , totally flattened , doesn't look as any part has been saved ....shocking .... wouldn't have happened in Edinburgh.

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 27th Dec 2012, 05:45pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Good Day

Amazing how close the UK Governments parallel those in the States.

Yes, both will see the ethnic cleaning of our Heritages until nothings is left they already have 51% here brain washed to umble unto to the giant Tyrant called Washington D. C.

To Cathy 52

My wife's family live across fromSpringurn Park.

I use to run a boat on Sundays on the pond and yes the Easter egg rolls with the kids.

Happy 2013

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 27th Dec 2012, 05:48pm
Post #10

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
No real surprise at this terrible news.Some of us tried to generate interest a couple of years back by instigating a petition via the Oldspringburn site but unfortunately,as we suspected,this "tilt at the windmill" has proved to be futile.
Next to go will doubtless be the Winter Gardens aka "Hothoose"in Springburn Park.This once loved building too,has been left to deteriorate for well over 20 years now and what should have been the Jewel in The Crown in the North East of Glasgow has been an eyesore for far too long.
As I posted elsewhere,"well done to the 'public spirited' occupants of the City Chambers who,by their lack of interest,have shown themselves to be bereft of any sense of the History of Springburn and it's contribution to the making of the great City of Glasgow.

+Quote Post
lubbock
post 27th Dec 2012, 05:56pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 14,540
QUOTE (GG @ 27th Dec 2012, 04:33pm) *
A letter to the Herald today:

GG.

History tells us this is the norm when it comes the retaining buildings of local and civic intrest.Make an excuse about health and safety after letting the building rot then demolish.
The old corporation was the masters of demolishing our heritage and one of very few cities in which a motorway was built through historic areas destroying communities and buildings.
But who's to blame?us in a way for not standing up and supporting local groups fighting to save whats left of Glasgows victorian city.

--------------------
Sunny Govan.

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 27th Dec 2012, 06:02pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
Follow the money, someone has been promised this space at a good price, for sure. I'm only surprised that it didn't "spring into flames".

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 27th Dec 2012, 06:32pm
Post #13

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
QUOTE (farrochie @ 27th Dec 2012, 06:19pm) *
Follow the money, someone has been promised this space at a good price, for sure. I'm only surprised that it didn't "spring into flames".

Excellent point,perhaps the fire raisers are on holiday?It's amazing how many School,Church and other much loved buildings in Springburn have succumbed to fire over the years.It's been happening in other towns & cities too!!

+Quote Post
petunia
post 27th Dec 2012, 08:16pm
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
It really is too bad that they have demolished this historic building which was a big part of Springburn's history. The last time I seen that building was 10 years ago from the bus wondering what they would do with it thinking that maybe they would remodel it to keep it as a heritage sight - I guess the council had other ideas to wait until it was in such a bad state that it could not be saved, shame on Glasgow council.

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 27th Dec 2012, 08:33pm
Post #15

Resident
Member No.: 546
The rats at City Chambers should join the exodus of rats that will be leaving the Old Halls now.
I was born just round the corner at 42 Cowlairs Rd and The Springburn Public Halls was the first stage I ever got up and sang on.
What a place it was and thankfully the rats doontoon' can't erase our memories of Saturday night when the gangs would line up.
Blackhill, Provanmill, Galloways St. and us The Carpet fae Cowlairs Rd. jeez' what a barney every week and the Polis office was the door on the right side of the building.

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Feb 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.