Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

113 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On This Day In .....................
Rating 5 V
Rab
post 10th Mar 2013, 12:05pm
Post #541

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
1801 Britain's first National Census. A census has taken place every ten years since 1801, with the exception of the 1941 census, cancelled because of World War II.
1850 The birth of Spencer Gore, tennis player and cricketer for Surrey. He won the first Wimbledon Championships in 1877.
1876 - 1st telephone call made (Alexander Graham Bell to Thomas Watson)
1886 Cruft's Dog Show was held in London for the first time. Previously it had been held in Newcastle. The organizer was Charles Cruft, general manager of a dog biscuit firm.
1888 - HW Boxing champ John L Sullivan draws Charlie Mitchell in 30 rounds!
1914 Suffragette Mary Richardson slashed Velazquez's painting - "Rokeby Venus" at London's National Gallery with a meat cleaver as a protest against the Government's treatment of Emmeline Pankhurst
1919 The British Government decided in favour of building a tunnel linking England to France.
1956 Peter Twiss, former Brooke Bond tea taster and later a test pilot, became the first man to fly at more than 1,000 mph.
1975 - Dog spectacles patented in England
1969 - James Earl Ray pleads guilty to murder of Martin Luther King Jr
1988 Prince Charles narrowly escaped death in an avalanche at Kloisters (Switzerland). His friend Hugh Lindsay was killed.
1994 - 1 million Greeks attend actress Melina Mercouri's funeral
1997 The Spice Girls made pop music history by becoming the first group to top the charts with every one of their first four singles.
Today Mothering Sunday - Traditionally, it was a day when children, mainly daughters, who had gone to work as domestic servants were given a day off to visit their mother and family. Today it is a day when children give presents, flowers and home-made cards to their mothers. .

Attached Image

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Mar 2013, 02:32pm
Post #542

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Mar 2013, 12:10pm) *
1841 - US Supreme Court rules Negroes are free (Amistad Incident)

I always reckoned the film "Amistad" to be the most emotionally moving film I every watched.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Mar 2013, 03:13pm
Post #543

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in 1967 Pink Floyd's first single, Arnold Layne, was released in the UK.
This picture was taken during the filming of the promotional clip released for this song.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 11th Mar 2013, 09:53am
Post #544

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
On this day in 1911, Sir Fitzroy MacLean, the man said to have inspired Ian Fleming's James Bond character, was born. Maclean was the son of Scottish nobleman Major Charles Wilberforce MacLean, whose ancestral home was Duart Castle on the Isle of Mull. Fitzroy MacLean was one of the founders of the SAS and during World War Two, was selected by Churchill to parachute into German-occupied Yugoslavia and gain Allied support.

On retirement, MacLean wrote extensively on Scottish history and became patron of a Strachur and District Shinty Club. He ammassed a large library of books, including early editions of James Bond novels

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Rab
post 11th Mar 2013, 02:47pm
Post #545

Mega City Key Holder
1669 - Volcano Etna in Italy erupts killing 15,000
1682 The Chelsea Hospital, a retirement home and nursing home for British soldiers, unfit for further duty due to injury or old age, was founded by Charles II.
1702 The Daily Courant, the first successful English newspaper, was first published. It consisted of only 1 sheet but lasted until 1735 when it was merged with the Daily Gazetteer.
1708 Queen Anne withheld Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a British monarch has vetoed legislation. The Bill's long title was 'An Act for settling the Militia of that Part of Great Britain called Scotland.'
1845 A Maori uprising against the British began in New Zealand .
1848 - Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine and Robert Baldwin become the first Prime Ministers of the Province of Canada to be democratically elected under a system of responsible government.
1858 The Indian Mutiny that had lasted for 10 months ended. The Indian sepoys had mutinied after believing that their rifle cartridges had been lubricated in animal fat.
1864 The Great Sheffield Flood: The largest man-made disaster ever to befall England destroyed 800 houses and killed 270 people in Sheffield when the Low Bradfield Reservoir bursts its banks while it was being filled for the first time. The claims for damages formed one of the largest insurance claims of the Victorian period.
- Construction of the Seven Sisters Colliery, South Wales, begins; located on one of the richest coal sources in Britain. It produved coal until 1963.
1885 Sir Malcolm Campbell, holder of the world land and water speed records, was born.
1897 - A meteorite enters the earth's atmosphere and explodes over New Martinsville, West Virginia. The debris causes damage but no human injuries are reported.
1945 The huge Krupps munitions factory in Germany was destroyed when 1,000 Allied bombers took part in the biggest ever daylight raid.
1953 - American B-47 accidentally drops a nuclear bomb on South Carolina
1955 Sir Alexander Fleming, the British Nobel Prize winning bacteriologist who discovered penicillin, died, aged 73.
1968 - Otis Redding posthumously receives gold record for " Dock of the Bay"
1985 - Mikhail Gorbachev replaces Konstantin Chernenko as Soviet leader
1988 The Bank of England pound note, first introduced on 12th March 1797, ceased to be legal tender in Britain at midnight. When the deadline for returning old notes was reached, it was estimated that some 70 million were still outstanding.

Attached Image Sir. Alexr Fleming.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Mar 2013, 04:54pm
Post #546

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rab @ 11th Mar 2013, 02:47pm) *
1988 The Bank of England pound note, first introduced on 12th March 1797, ceased to be legal tender in Britain at midnight. When the deadline for returning old notes was reached, it was estimated that some 70 million were still outstanding.

Although the Deutschmark ceased to be legal tender with the introduction of the Euro (¤) Deutschmark notes can still be brought to the bank in exchange for Euros.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 11th Mar 2013, 09:50pm
Post #547

Mega City Key Holder
On this day – 11 March 1513: Giovanni di Lorenzo de’ Medici was proclaimed Pope Leo X. His authorisation of the widespread sale of indulgences to help fund the rebuilding of St Peter’s in Rome would lead to conflict with Martin Luther

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Mar 2013, 09:28am
Post #548

Mega City Key Holder
On this day – 12 March 1613: Birth in Paris of landscape gardener André Le Nôtre. As principal gardener of King Louis XIV of France he was responsible for designing the gardens at the Palais de Versailles

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab
post 12th Mar 2013, 01:55pm
Post #549

Mega City Key Holder
1642 - Abel Tasman is 1st European in New Zealand
1710 Thomas Arne, English composer of Rule Britannia, was born. He also wrote a version -
1775 1st steam engine in America installed, to pump water from a mine
1868 Henry O'Farrell from Dublin, attempted to assassinate Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, the second son and fourth child of Queen Victoria whilst he was on a tour of Australia.
1881 Andrew Watson made his Scotland debut as the world's first black, international football player and captain.
1904 - 1st main line electric train in UK (Liverpool to Southport)
1930 Mahatma Gandhi began his 300-mile march to the sea in protest against the British tax law securing a monopoly for salt.
1935 Britain imposed a 30 mph speed limit in built up areas.
1938 - Nazi Germany invades Austria
1941 The wreck of the S.S. Politician near the island of Eriskay when islanders hid thousands of bottles of shipwrecked whisky in from government officials. The episode was celebrated in the film "Whisky Galore."
1944 Britain banned all travel to and from Ireland and Ulster in an effort to prevent German spies operating in neutral Eire from learning of the Allied invasion preparations taking place in Britain.
1945 - USSR returns Transylvania to Romania.(wanted nothing to do with Dracula)
1950 The Llandow air disaster occurred near Sigingstone in Wales. 80 people died when their aircraft crashed, making it the world's deadliest air disaster at the time.
1984 - Coal Miners' strike ended
1984 - British ice dancing team, Torvill & Dean, become 1st skaters to receive 9 perfect 6.0s in world championships
1994 The Church of England ordained the first women priests (32 in total) at Bristol Cathedral.
2012 Hundreds of mourners, including figures from the legal, political and sporting world attended the funeral of the top Scottish QC, 44 year old Paul McBride. He became Scotland's youngest QC at the age of 35.

Attached Image Andrew Watson.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Mar 2013, 02:49pm
Post #550

Mega City Key Holder
Alexander Mackenzie, the first person to cross North America from east to west, died on this day in 1820. Mackenzie is believed to have been born on the Isle of Lewis, and moved with his family to America as a child. Here, he left his education at the age of thirteen after the death of his father, and worked to support his family. His taste for travel began through his work for the North West Company, fur traders, for whom he was sent around the United States.

The end of his transcontinental crossing of North America is marked by an inscribed rock, which is part of the Sir Alexander Mackenzie Provincial Park, a National Historic Site of Canada.

The Mackenzie river in North West Canada was named after him

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Mar 2013, 05:03pm
Post #551

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rab @ 12th Mar 2013, 01:55pm) *
1941 The wreck of the S.S. Politician near the island of Eriskay when islanders hid thousands of bottles of shipwrecked whisky in from government officials. The episode was celebrated in the film "Whisky Galore."

Last known record of a Politician being of any use to anyone. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 13th Mar 2013, 10:28am
Post #552

Mega City Key Holder
Scottish poet John Barbour, author of the epic work The Brus died on this day in 1395.

Barbour was one of the first authors to write in Scots and whilst under the protection of Robert II, he composed 'The Brus', which told the story of the Scottish Wars of Independence and celebrated Robert the Bruce as a hero. He was paid £10 and a life pension of twenty shillings a year for the work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 13th Mar 2013, 01:27pm
Post #553

Mega City Key Holder
On this day – 13 March 1863: An explosion at the Confederate Ordinance Laboratory on Brown’s Island on the James river, Richmond, killed about 50 people, most of them young women.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab
post 13th Mar 2013, 02:47pm
Post #554

Mega City Key Holder
1733 Dr Joseph Priestley, scientist (and discoverer of oxygen) was born. He was also a theologian, clergyman and natural philosopher,
1842The death of the English army officer Henry Shrapnel, inventor of the shrapnel shell which is named after him. The shell was a hollow cannon ball filled with shot which burst in mid-air and was used as an anti-personnel weapon.
1873 Eight clubs met to form the Scottish Football Association. They were Queen's Park, Clydesdale, Vale of Leven, Dumbreck, Third Lanark, Eastern, Granville and Kilmarnock.
1926 Alan Cobham landed at Croydon Aerodrome, near London, after a 16,000-mile flight to Cape Town and back to establish a commercial air route across Africa.
1927 The lance ceased to be an official weapon in the British Army.
1933 - Josef Goebbels becomes German minister of Information & Propaganda
1935 Voluntary driving tests were introduced in Britain and became compulsory in June of the same year.
1961 Black and white Bank of England five pound notes ceased to be legal tender.
1970 Conservatives celebrated a record majority in the Bridgwater by-election. It was the first time 18-year-olds had been allowed to vote since the age of majority was reduced from 21 to 18 in January this year. Susan Wallace became the first 18-year-old to cast her vote.
1972 Britain and China resumed full diplomatic relations after a break of 22 years.
1981 - Assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II by Mehemet Ali Agca.
1996 Thomas Hamilton, a lone gunman carrying 4 handguns killed 16 children and their teacher at a school in Dunblane, Scotland. He then turned the gun on himself.
1997 - The Phoenix lights were seen over Phoenix, Arizona by hundreds of people, and by millions on television. They are now a hotly debated controversy.
2003 - The journal Nature reports that 350,000-year-old footprints of an upright-walking human have been found in Italy.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 14th Mar 2013, 12:34pm
Post #555

Mega City Key Holder
Today marks 11 years since David Moyes was appointed manager of Everton Football Club.

--------------------

+Quote Post

113 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Aug 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.