Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Offensive' Tweeter Liam Stacey Jailed, Free speech on the internet
john.mcn
post 17th Apr 2012, 05:29pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 17th Apr 2012, 04:06pm) *
People were not forced to read or listen to Hitler's rantings either ... at first ... but that soon changed didn't it?
Of course no one is forced to read what comes up on their facebook page or Twitter; or PMs on the Glasgow Guide Boards for that matter, but they get read because they're there.
Those who spout hate should be jumped on from a great height; as part of their treatment while in psychiatric care, just for the hands on experience.
Notice I didn't use one effin swear word there?

I remember an online debate on a forum years ago. Similar argument, the right to free speech, hate etc. Someone came on said we should just kill all the nazis to eradicate racism/hate speech etc, right away a guy comes and posts, well make sure you save the last bullet for yourself. The point was completely lost to the 1st poster.
RE;Facebook, i manage to bypass most BS on facebook, it's easy just dont read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Apr 2012, 06:37pm
Post #32

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 17th Apr 2012, 10:54am) *
People should be able to post whatever rantings they want online. Let the ISP's or hosting companies deal with them. We are not forced to read or listen to them, we have a back button or we can close the webpage. If someone on Twitter or Facebook offends you, then dont follow or unfriend them. If they are not bombarding your letterbox, inbox or phone with hatefull and obscene messages then you have the power to choose whether to read them or not.

One of the greatest dangers to free speech on the Internet is allowing people 'anonymously' to say just what they want to say, whenever, to whomever they wish. That kind of behaviour would not (and is not) tolerated in a civilised society and it most certainly will NOT be tolerated here. I am not suggesting that you would do it, John, but I am taking this opportunity to reiterate that such behaviour will absolutely not be allowed on this board. Long-term members like THH and Rabbie above (to name just a couple) appreciate this, as is demonstrated in their posts.

We are here as an online community that respects the right of ordinary people to express our ordinary opinions and make our considered points in a reasonable, measured and lawful manner. By doing so, I hope that we can learn from each other and, who knows, contribute to a shared understanding of complex issues in a complex society. It's a lofty goal, but one that can only be achieved through mutual respect and thoughtful behaviour.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 17th Apr 2012, 07:17pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
I was not talking about this forum/website GG, you have your rules that visitors abide by or you wield the ban hammer, your house, your rules. Same should go for Twitter/Facebook etc. What i think is it should not be up to this goverment to police the internet cleansing it's users of their thoughts. If someone wishes to blog on an offshore web hosting company criticising and calling his/her councillors names then he should not criminalised for it. There are far far worse things out there and the police/security services should spend their time investigating that.
The old saying everones taught as a child to deal with name callers springs to mind, sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Apr 2012, 10:49pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 17th Apr 2012, 07:05pm) *
... sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me.

You missed out ladders there biggrin.gif
But it's absolutely true. Call me a cloth-eared, toothless, wee Jock bastard and you've got 5 out of 5. Just don't come my way wavin' a stick. wink.gif
Inciting others to do *your dirty work for *you by posting crap to peoples houses and homes using the media of the net as your tool and claiming your right to free speech as your authority to do so can't be far from committing a criminal act though.
If someone reading your rant reports you to either the media or some authorative watchdog or other then you'd have no one to blame but yourself and would fully deserve what comes to you if only for being stupid enough to think that your comments will only be viewed by those to whom it was directed.

* for you/r read; of course, "one/'s"

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 17th Apr 2012, 11:15pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Obviously there are lines with incitement, anyone calling on others to harm someone should have their collar felt. But what of say supporting actions in the middle eastern spring, calling on others to go to war or even say offering to put a 10m bounty on a foreign leaders head wink.gif. If a UK national is criminalised for a post on a foreign server could he also be done for saying something inflammitory on foreign soil, or what if he posts on his blog while abroad could he still be done, even if the server is abroad too? This could get as crazy as the anti holocaust denier laws in Europe where you can be tried for something said here if it's repeated in the media over there..

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 19th Apr 2012, 12:25pm
Post #36

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Just read a story on the BBC about how a boy put photos of his clubs latest shirt on Twitter and they called the police. Unbelievable!! angry.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-17767236

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 19th Jun 2012, 09:56pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Apr 2012, 07:35pm) *
One of the greatest dangers to free speech on the Internet is allowing people 'anonymously' to say just what they want to say, whenever, to whomever they wish. That kind of behaviour would not (and is not) tolerated in a civilised society and it most certainly will NOT be tolerated here. I am not suggesting that you would do it, John, but I am taking this opportunity to reiterate that such behaviour will absolutely not be allowed on this board. Long-term members like THH and Rabbie above (to name just a couple) appreciate this, as is demonstrated in their posts.

We are here as an online community that respects the right of ordinary people to express our ordinary opinions and make our considered points in a reasonable, measured and lawful manner. By doing so, I hope that we can learn from each other and, who knows, contribute to a shared understanding of complex issues in a complex society. It's a lofty goal, but one that can only be achieved through mutual respect and thoughtful behaviour.

GG.

Totally agree with you GG thumbup.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
GG
post 20th Jun 2012, 07:03am
Post #38

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Thanks Doug1. smile.gif

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Jun 2012, 07:17am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Free speech is important but the issue of anonimity is creating problems with folk hiding behind it to abuse others and, in extreme cases, resort to bullying. The outcome of this case could have a major impact on how the system works in future.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/...es-cyberbullies

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound which is why some people appear bright until they speak

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 20th Jun 2012, 07:21am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 17th Apr 2012, 12:04pm) *
People should be able to post whatever rantings they want online. Let the ISP's or hosting companies deal with them. We are not forced to read or listen to them, we have a back button or we can close the webpage. If someone on Twitter or Facebook offends you, then dont follow or unfriend them. If they are not bombarding your letterbox, inbox or phone with hatefull and obscene messages then you have the power to choose whether to read them or not.

Lighten up john, you seem to be pretty worked up over this. No one likes censorship especially on the internet but it aint going to go away.

Have you given any thought to the amount of abuse that kids suffer on social networking sites. The world is full of sickos and downright bad people who take great pleasure in posting very abusive messages to all sorts of people from a cloak of anonymity. You should not be able to post anything on the internet that you wouldnt say to someones face to face.

Yes I'm a family guy with three kids so I do take this subject very seriously as do a great many other ordinary folk in this country

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Apr 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.