Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurses Face Sack Over Parking Fines, Get-tough policy from health board
Heather
post 27th Mar 2012, 04:52pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The Buses here in Scotland have a scanner for the free Bus Pass that OAPs get. No need to remove the Pass from the wallet as it scans the Pass.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 27th Mar 2012, 04:54pm
Post #47

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
It always seems to be the people at the bottom of the pile who are the ones who get hit with all the high costs and fines. I wonder if Mrs Sturgeon relies on the hospitals in Glasgow or does she have a nice wee package that allows her not to worry about NHS hospitals because she knows she can go private if she has to?? Would she be happy for one of her family members to be treated by a nurse who is worrying about whether she needs to go out and feed the parking meter??

There really must be a point I think when people just get so tired of being treated like idiots by politicians at every single opportunity. Does Mrs Sturgeon get free parking at her place of work.... I wonder??

+Quote Post
zascot
post 28th Mar 2012, 06:31am
Post #48

City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 27th Mar 2012, 05:42pm) *
There really must be a point I think when people just get so tired of being treated like idiots by politicians at every single opportunity. Does Mrs Sturgeon get free parking at her place of work.... I wonder??

Very good question, she probably just sends her chauffer to find a wee spot in a side street and wait for her. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 28th Mar 2012, 11:05am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
My wife says they are discussing this at work and the talk is the Union are in agreement with this policy ohmy.gif, time to start a new Union methinks.

Anyway I remember when my wife had to pay to park at the southern and much like happened when Barrhead main street shopping started parking charges, all the surrounding streets were chock full of council workers cars, not nice if you actually stayed in those streets and certainly made them unsafe for kids. Now the charges are removed the streets are again empty but you cant get bloody parked if you need to nip down to farmfoods biggrin.gif

--------------------
”YES! Say it a million times. Then say it a million more. And the word you will have said two million times is…YES!!!!!

+Quote Post
**ozzy ian 123**
post 28th Mar 2012, 12:40pm
Post #50

Hi, we here in Australia are in the same situation our nurses have to pay outrageous fees & fines. What I would like to know is what do the bosses do for parking, do they have special passes if so why would they worry. Free parking haha how do they sleep at night, not very good I hope!

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Mar 2012, 08:08am
Post #51

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 28th Mar 2012, 10:53am) *
My wife says they are discussing this at work and the talk is the Union are in agreement with this policy ohmy.gif, time to start a new Union methinks.

John, you're not wrong. The union response to workers:
The parking policy was discussed and comments were fed back from most TUs at healthboard level, while documents may have taken into account comments from staffside, partnership does not mean that staffside always agree with all aspects within and it often ends up a damage limitation process.

The unfortunate reality is that if staff break any GG&C policies they can face a disciplinary investigation and possible action. Since the implementation of the previous car parking policy, technically staff could have been disciplined if their managers became aware that they were ignoring fines.

My recollection is that panels are organised on each site to consider car parking permit applications on the basis of use i.e. as a requirement of the job. In reality there are a lot of staff who don't require cars as part of their job but may choose to use their own transport to get to work e.g. community nurses may require a car to visit patients whereas many of the 500 lab staff at XXXX don't require their cars to do their jobs as they will be based at the XXX and do not have regular duties on other sites.

Although not good, please keep in mind that some sites are even worse in terms of parking spaces and charges e.g. GRI, also worth noting that GG&C has to conform to green policies and pressure from the councils and Government.

In short we are stuck with the policy for the time being and yes, if if staff breack any GG&C policies they can face disciplinary action.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 29th Mar 2012, 09:56am
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
I would expect the union to actually get the wording correct. Only council parking attendants, police officers and parking wardens have the authority to issue 'fines', these employees from private parking firms can only issue parking charge invoices for the overstay, not really enforceable in court.

Also i do not understand GG&C policy, they are not supposed to park in the hospital grounds but face disciplinary action if they dont pay a parking charge. Surely the parking charge is immaterial, if the policy is do not park then any action should follow immediately. Several of my wifes co nurses got tickets the other day, including my wife, considering it was her off day and they phoned her to cover someone sick it's a bit of a cheek biggrin.gif

--------------------
”YES! Say it a million times. Then say it a million more. And the word you will have said two million times is…YES!!!!!

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 29th Mar 2012, 11:16am
Post #53

Super City Key Holder
Well said John M!!

Whats the point of a union who ignore the fears and threats to the workers and then side with the bosses?? I wonder where the union man parks his car.... probably next to the bosses!!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 29th Mar 2012, 12:27pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Another wee point on these so called,"tickets"
If a ticket is issued to a vehicle registration number for an alleged overstay there is no way in which the registered keeper is compelled to state who was in charge of the vehicle at the relevant time.
In contrast the Road Traffic Act compels the registered keeper to identify who was driving or in charge of a vehicle at the time of the alleged offence and there are penalties if they fail to do so.
My advice to any one getting one of these tickets.Bin it.

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Mar 2012, 10:07pm
Post #55

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
You raise a very important point, Jupiter. And the extension of the point is: what if a registered keeper is dismissed from their employment although they were not driving the car at the time of the parking 'offence'. Surely the dismissed employee, who is not obliged to disclose the name of the driver, will be well within their rights to take legal action against the health board for unfair dismissal. This will result in financial losses to the health board (from NHS budgets), and also risk the possibility of industrial action. Either way, surely an issue which should merit the attention of Scotland's health secretary?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
campsie
post 30th Mar 2012, 04:37pm
Post #56

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
Nurses should have FREE parking END OF!! As should Doctor's our main hospital we ar lucky to still have our cottage hospital for minor cases, does not give parking spaces to all doctors. Geeze this is just unacceptable, the people should be concentrating on their patients and not worrying about parking tickets, time for all Health Authorities to get real, but then the big cats have got their parking spaces no doubt.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 31st Mar 2012, 12:37am
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 29th Mar 2012, 01:15pm) *
vehicle at the relevant time.
In contrast the Road Traffic Act compels the registered keeper to identify who was driving or in charge of a vehicle at the time of the alleged offence and there are penalties if they fail to do so.
My advice to any one getting one of these tickets.Bin it.

True enough, though as far as I'm aware, the RTA only requires the owner to make reasonable attempts to identify the driver in charge, since there's a legal principle that one cannot be penalised for not doing what one is unable to do. On the other hand, private car park owners may make 'legalistic looking' requests, which have no legal force. Although it's slightly tangential, my brother, who has no TV, routinely gets letters from the TVLA phrased in a manner that suggests prosecution is imminent, though as a former police officer he knows they are tosh!

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 31st Mar 2012, 04:54am
Post #58

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
This is merely the first step into the privatisation of our health service. It's the politicians' way of saying "get used to it, if we can treat frontline staff this way, you're next." Apparently, hospital consultants don't have to pay the parking fees, but student nurses do? I don't know many students who could afford over 80 a week just to park a car.
I live in Springburn and there are many nurses who choose the park and ride idea, leaving their cars filling up the streets whilst they work at either the Royal or at Stobhill. This being the case, surely the union should be talking in terms of health and safety for the staff? Having worked a long shift, why is it allowed that these health workers should have to somehow find a bus or taxi to get them to their cars making their working day and travel excessive? This must interfere with the E.U. directive that everybody has a right to family life.
Incredibly, it was the Labour Party who set this whole scam up for the benefit of private companies to make as much money as they could from it. Bevin wil be spinning in his grave. The health service was meant to be "free at the point of use" that obviously doesn't apply to its workers.
One last point, how is it possible to receive the best possible healthcare while your nurses are worrying about having to leave you in possible distress whilst having to put another 2 in the meter? As has been pointed out, the technology has existed for a number of years where this is provenly nonsensical. If the facility exists whereby consultants don't need to pay fees, surely the same rights and priveleges ought to be extended to all who work in the N.H.S.
Can you imagine the furore if this was extended to schools and colleges? kid comes home having just failed an exam. Asked why, he/she will reply " Didn't know the answer as our teacher had to top up his parking just before he told us the answer in class and had to move on to another subject"
This is clearly not good for staff or patients. If I was a nurse, I'd chuck it and move abroad where they are respected as the professionals they are.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 2nd Apr 2012, 07:07am
Post #59

City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Ok Sir lets work this out. your a consultant and earn 6K a month, ok you can park at work fir nuthin. Ok your a nurse and earn 1K a month, oh that entitles you tae pay fer parkin. sounds arse about face tae me.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 5th Apr 2012, 10:38am
Post #60

Super City Key Holder
There were photos in the Evening Times the other night about car crashes outside a hospital which were caused by the people who worked there having to park in the streets outside. Dont remember which hospital it was but they said that things were going to change to make sure that it would not happen again.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.