Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow 2014 Legacy, Hope, memories, loss & community
GG
post 3rd Jan 2012, 11:19am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A video of the full Games Eviction story by Chris Leslie is now available:

Margaret Jaconelli purchased her Dalmarnock home in 1976. She has lived as the sole remaining resident of Ardenlea St since 2002. With the Commonwealth Games fast approaching, the council wish to demolish the whole street which occupies the site of the proposed Athlete’s Village.

All the other residents have been re-housed- but Margaret, as one of the few who owns her property, refuses to move until offered adequate compensation. The Council won’t negotiate. They’re working to a deadline. For four years she goes on a one-woman crusade to save her family from being evicted whilst the rest of Dalmarnock is flattened around them. Then at dawn one day in March 2011, over 100 police and sheriff officers arrive...

Mixing still photography, video reportage and interviews, this film follows Margaret’s story from March 2008 through to her eviction in March 2011. One of a series of short films on issues surrounding the redevelopment of Glasgow by photographer and filmmaker Chris Leslie.

In a wider sense, this topic will also look at issues relating to the legacy for Glasgow from the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 3rd Jan 2012, 06:40pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Aye, for the greater good, eh!?

Who's good, the people of Dalmarnock or the faceless greedy profiteering developers and thier anomymous lickspittling greed driven puppets that luck the darkest cesspit of The City Kremlim?

Only the passage of time will reveal all. These games are for 2 weeks, after the dust has settled and reality set in, let's see the state of affairs after, say 2 years.

I can only hope that any benefit of this purported regeneration will be for the ordinary, decent fowks of Dalmarnock.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 3rd Jan 2012, 07:04pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
The greater good?? Aye Right!!

Rabbie there is not a single person that I know who has any doubts about who is going to profit from these Shennanigans.... and its no the ordinary folks who live round these parts that is absolutely for sure!! Its ethnic cleansing plain and simple and the lady says it well enough in the film that she couldnae get a brass farthing and yet the wealthy developers walked away with their pockets bulging.

As big Jim Royle would say.... LEGACY.... MY A***!!

+Quote Post
rumcdonald
post 3rd Jan 2012, 08:38pm
Post #4

Resident
Member No.: 7,818
QUOTE (GG @ 3rd Jan 2012, 05:18am) *
A video of the full Games Eviction story by Chris Leslie is now available:

GG.

Wow!! This is the first time I've seen this. I'm wondering where Margaret and her family are now. I admire her very much and wish more people were like her. I bet most of the policemen surrounding the place felt uncomfortable. Let's hope the European Human Rights folks can sort this out, and give Margaret and family what they deserve.
To me, another crime is demolishing these lovely red sandstone buildings.

+Quote Post
tarheels
post 3rd Jan 2012, 08:54pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,421
the rich get richer an the poor get nothing tarheels

--------------------
lang may yer lum reek

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 3rd Jan 2012, 10:48pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I don't disagree with what is being said here. However I would have liked a little more information. Was this family offered a fair price for their house . Seems a little strange that she was the only one who was dissatisfied. I would have thought some of the other tenant's would have stood by them.
Like runcdonald I to would like to know where she is now.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 3rd Jan 2012, 11:55pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
As I already commented when this case first arose ; This lady was treated disgracefully.

--------------------
They said "The will of the Scottish people must be heard"
It was - and the Nats are still no bloody happy !

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Jan 2012, 05:12am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
There are two sides to eveything,but Margeret repeated the word 'money' more than any other...you have to look at the former residents of the area and their point of view and they,hoping someday some of them(or their children) can move back to a rejuvinated neighbourhood..What gets me is the fact that in other cities of the world,these beautiful old buildings are left standing and modernised to suit todays needs whether it's Paris or Brooklyn!!....but at this stage of the game for the neighbourhood,it's too blighted and may be too late...I'll have to note here also that I've been back to Glasgow many times in past and was always dismayed at the actions of the people in charge of that once proud and beautiful Victorian city!...I look at my old Springburn and it makes me wonder about the people running the show!

+Quote Post
Elma
post 4th Jan 2012, 07:13am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,650
I think the greed here was on the part of Margaret Jaconelli, if she had taken the original offer by the Council like all the others in the same situation she could have been well settled in probably a better house in a better neighbourhood instead of being a martyr and scoring publicity for herself and trying to gouge the Council for more money.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 4th Jan 2012, 08:46am
Post #10

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I am so disgusted at the morals of the council. This woman Margaret had every right to do what she did,not for the money,principal and rights of everyone should be ashamed to see this happen.Margaret owned the house only wanted what she deserved. Why did they not go to human rights for help,or is that A crime now.They just took what they wanted all in the name of the commonwealth games,and line there own pockets.Well shame on all our own scots for not shouting out to support the family.I am not very proud of that. I hope Margaret and family do allright and are well looked after,good for her too,You deserve A medal for standing up for your rights,maybe more can learn from this. I hope you are well,and we all get updates on how your life is today.God Bless you and family,you deserve the best. I hope the councel all choke and the bloody goverment at#10 downing street takes A big leep down hill with the rest of that lot. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 4th Jan 2012, 12:05pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Elma @ 4th Jan 2012, 06:12am) *
I think the greed here was on the part of Margaret Jaconelli, if she had taken the original offer by the Council like all the others in the same situation she could have been well settled in probably a better house in a better neighbourhood instead of being a martyr and scoring publicity for herself and trying to gouge the Council for more money.

I can see how some fowks may be given to considering that it may have been greed that motivated Mrs J. However, I feel there is a wee bit more depth than this. Therefore, I am apt to consider the notion that she was mainly standing up for her rights against a shower of over bloated property developers and certain stinking council officials. I feel that greed is more likely to be on the collective part of the aforementioned unmentionables. Like some of us, Mrs. J is only one of the many wee fowk up against a system that frankly, in some aspects, stinks to high hell.

Now, perhaps only more fowks took the no doubt painful and stressful stance that Mrs. J took, these fly by night, build for profit entities would not walk all over wee people with such uncanny ease and aplomb. Better still, if fowks used thier votes to oust the worthless political Bas'tages. Public apathy, who really cares?

In this instance, I rather hope the HR route she has choosen to follow comes back to dump a heap of organic fertiliser, from great heights, on the pig swilling elements of officialdom. It galled me to see the Army of foosties / heavies more suited to attending a riot at an Auld Firm match, gathering under the cover of darkness to support an eviction a wee woman from her OWN, bought and paid for house. Great Britain, indeed? Perhaps I am lacking informarion in regards as to what the Dickens is now Great about Britain?

Brings me on to another pastime, despairing at the slope headed Corporation Neanderthals, whose collective lack of persipience caused many lovely Victorian areas of our city and thier once vibrant communities to be destroyed. They achieved, with consummate ease, what the Luftwaffe failed to to do. These Corporation devastated areas then were gleefully replaced by fugly concrete apparations which give Magadan the appearance and appeal of a halcyonic, tropical paradise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Jan 2012, 12:37pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I agree completely Rabbie. Elma, I dont know how long it is since you stayed in Glasgow but I think maybe you've been away too long. Sorry.
I stand in complete admiration of Mrs Jaconelli. It would be stupid to say that money didnt play a part in her decision to stand up to the big guns but I think her principals where more to the fore than the money and think its more than time that the little people stood up for themselves more often.
I also think that the people of Glasgow are slowly coming to the realisation that its time for the Labour Council to go, or at least I hope they are. Mary

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 4th Jan 2012, 04:08pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (wellfield @ 4th Jan 2012, 05:11am) *
There are two sides to eveything,but Margeret repeated the word 'money' more than any other...you have to look at the former residents of the area and their point of view and they,hoping someday some of them(or their children) can move back to a rejuvinated neighbourhood..What gets me is the fact that in other cities of the world,these beautiful old buildings are left standing and modernised to suit todays needs whether it's Paris or Brooklyn!!....but at this stage of the game for the neighbourhood,it's too blighted and may be too late...I'll have to note here also that I've been back to Glasgow many times in past and was always dismayed at the actions of the people in charge of that once proud and beautiful Victorian city!...I look at my old Springburn and it makes me wonder about the people running the show!

I could not agree more! Its nothing more than civic vandalism under the spurious guise of 'progress'.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 4th Jan 2012, 04:18pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Oh now the Polis are investigating the "land deal" associated with these "Games."

Oh dear, theres a bolt out the blue yonder. Now, I wonder where the trail lead to.

Perhaps I may give a wee hint to the now doobt beleaguered polis

See here...

Attached Image

Ye might like to have a wee root around the troughs in there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Jan 2012, 06:27pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
It will be interesting where the police enquiry leads and what the outcome will be.
One scenario:yes some shrewd businessmen bought land cheap and sold it for a profit.
Profit and loss,market forces,demand and supply.
Stand by for explosive revelations of corruption by council officials.
Personally I think the police would be better deployed out catching criminals.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.