Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oops ... We've Lost (most Of) A Tram!, One item not going to the Riverside Museum
GG
post 31st Jan 2011, 11:40pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Bewildered bosses at Glasgow Life, the company charged with running Glasgow's museums, have been forced to admit that they have lost the complete front section of an historic Glasgow Standard tram. The "beautifully restored" piece of history had been donated to the city's museums in 1975 by tram enthusiast, Dr Ian Macdougall, after it was given to him by his father.

The news of the gigantic loss comes less than a week after the same musuem bosses admitted that 84 valuable works of art had vanished over the years from under their noses.

In addition to the loss of Dr Macdougall's lovingly restored tram section, including driving gear, Glasgow Life has also admitted that it cannot find other priceless exhibits donated to the city by the same veteran Glaswegian collector. The additional lost artefacts include boxes of tramcar drivers' timeboards, old tram tickets and approximately 50 rolls of unique colour film of the trams running in Glasgow's streets in 1960s.

Attached Image
A Glasgow Standard tram.
A visibly upset Dr Macdougall, who is adamant that he will never again donate anything to Glasgow museums, said:
"I am devastated ... I had no space to keep [the tram section] at my home and it seemed the right thing to do. I am very upset the films are missing too. I felt I was giving something back to the city, they were very important to me."

A spokesman for Glasgow Life, who admitted that previous storage arrangements were "far from satisfactory", said:
"Today, we have just three secure storage facilities, including the 20 million Glasgow Museums Resource Centre in Nitshill, which is home to one million objects."

Attached Image
GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 31st Jan 2011, 11:52pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Dr. MacDougall has every right to be angry.

I can hardly credit the amout of valuable items this lot at Glasgow Life have lost. A right lot of clowns.

It makes me wonder how honest they or the employess working in Glasgow Life are.
Well lets face it, these lost items did not grow feet and walk out the place.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 31st Jan 2011, 11:56pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
It is called Looting and Plundering anywhere else.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Old Sailor
post 1st Feb 2011, 12:32am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 4,642
At the risk of defining myself as an old fogey, I am often saddened by the lacking efficiency of so called museum curators and their ilk. Is it just that people no longer care or see value in preserving artifacts or recording history. I can cite two examples of this deficiency, the first was when I was looking for old picture frames and visited a second hand store. The proprietor showed me a bin full of old frames which had been sent to his store and among them were some with old photos intact. I came upon one which had a picture of an old soldier, circa WW1 and when I enquired of its origin I was told that "it was just something that people dump all the time". No family interest, no sentiment, no more! The second was on visiting a home yard sale and seeing a box marked "Miscellaneous Junk...help yourself..No Cost" and as I rummaged through the box I came across a rack of Medals which were easy for me to identify since as WW2 Veteran I hold similar decorations, the War Medal, Atlantic Star with France and Germany (D-Day) Clasp, Italy Star and others including a Long Service Medal with SEAC Bar. I asked the lady of the house who they belonged to and she replied, "I don't know, we brought them from my grandmother's house afer she died and they have just been lying around..you can have them..no cost". I pondered whether I should stop and tell her that the cost of these medals was paid for by someone who survived a living hell, like I and many of my comrades (who are fewer and fewer as the days pass) did in those years, seventy years ago, but I didn't. Maybe I am just and old fogey!

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 1st Feb 2011, 12:38am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Thats a poor show, how the heck do you lose part of a tram
The films, pity the guy didn't have them copied, thats a great loss to all of Glasgow.
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
farci
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:05am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 5,346
It's a lot worse than this.

Last week Glasgow Life admitted that ten paintings in total have been stolen from the stores of Glasgow Life's museums and art galleries with another 74 believed to have gone missing. It is understood this is just - as they say - the tip of the iceberg with more revelations to follow.

Upsetting as the tram incident is to the donor, Glasgow City Council and its ALEOs have consistently failed to account for property, known as Common Good assets, gifted to the city's residents. Over the last 30 years assets worth many tens of millions of pounds have been wrongly accounted for and 'lost'. The last major example of this was when campaigners forced the Council to restore Pollok Park to the Common Good Asset register after it had been, er, omitted. Expect to see more headlines about this over the next few months.

The Council was instructed by the Scottish Government in 2007 to account for missing items but has failed to do so. The government watchdog - Audit Scotland - has refused to bark.

+Quote Post
wheeghee
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:10am
Post #7

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
Got an old flattened penny that i put on the caur lines 1960 @ the Glasgow Cross last night of the caurs. mad.gif

--------------------
Nullis in verba

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:17am
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
I, swear, if I didn't know better, without reading of these traveties in Glasgow, one would think you were in the USA the way our artifacts, too, disappear.

More than an apology is warrented here, perhaps a job loss or two or three of the hierarchy in the Museum!

Pounds cannot replace such a loss, but taken the Pound with making the head knockers redundant, well, its a start towards an apology.

Confederately

Jerry in Occupied Virginia by Union force

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:19am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Old Sailor asks, Is it just that people no longer care or see value in preserving artifacts or recording history.?
When my son was born in 1970, we lived in a house the garden of which was at a height above ground level and accessed by about seven steps. I knew a guy who owned a derelict old mansion and asked him if I could salvage some wood to build a ramp so my wife could push the baby's pram up to the garden level. While foraging around the old house for the best wood I found an old leather satchel of the type that would be held by a waist belt. The satchel had a masonic emblem embossed on the front. In the satchel were many old letters from either WW1 or perhaps earlier. The letters were from a son of the family who related that cousin so-and-so had fallen in a particular battle and stories of one battle and another with losses of young men who were either related or known to the family.
There was also mention of a girl or two in the nursing corps.
Reading the letters made me feel a bit guilty as if I was invading into someone's grief but I knew I had a historical record in my hands.
Many years later, while going through my divorce and sorting things out that I would be taking with me I asked my wife if she knew what had happened to the satchel; which I'd stored in the attic with my old RAF training notes.
She'd thrown them out with lots of other rubbish in the attic.
I could have throttled her.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
chinscot
post 1st Feb 2011, 06:39am
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 906
It is a sad day when part of your history is gone, will not be replaced I enjoyed going through the museum I think there should be a appology to the good Dr McDougall is in order.

+Quote Post
beth
post 1st Feb 2011, 07:18am
Post #11

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Know it's a bit off thread, but in our news this morning 17 BMWs were stolen from a car showroom that is situated right next door to Durban's main police station, so nothing surprises me. I think though that the donor is owed a great big apology, mind you nothing can replace stolen history.

+Quote Post
**duinemor**
post 1st Feb 2011, 08:36am
Post #12

I'm just amazed that there are two people in the poll, at the time of typing, who think Dr McDougall is NOT due an apology. Perhaos they work for Glasgow Museums.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:01am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I think the Museums "High heid yins" are dissembling on this issue.When does a loss become a theft?
If they have checked all their estate and there is not trace of the items concerned then clearly the items have had some assistance in getting through the back door.In this case they have a clear obligation and the entire circumstances should be reported to the police as a matter of urgency.
The Curator has a duty of care for the artefacts entrusted to the museum and if they have walked on his watch maybe he should consider his/her position and do likewise.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:30am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I agree Jupiter but why should he be given the option to walk. If you or I "lost" something valuable or important at work we would be sacked without question.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:36am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I admit to being a bit bewildered about this, how the heck do you lose something this size? The smaller paintings that were stolen I understand, the lack of security is a concern but there are always folk who will find a way to steal stuff. What do you do with the front of a tram (unless you've got the rest stashed somewhere)?

I suppose they've checked the Barras rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound which is why some people appear bright until they speak

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Dec 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.