Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Burns Night: Will You Be Celebrating?, Address To A Haggis And All That
GG
post 23rd Jan 2011, 11:28pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
No sooner has Ne'er Day passed and the next important date on Scotland's cultural calendar is fast upon us. Burns' Night suppers have been celebrated in Scotland for over two hundred years, remembering the life and works of Scotland's most-famous poet, and the man who was voted 'The Greatest Ever Scot' in 2009.

Burns Night suppers were originally intimate affairs held in the late 18th century in Alloway, Ayrshire – Robert Burns' home county – by his close friends, to mark the anniversary of the poet's death. The feast, inspired by Burns' famous poem 'Address To a Haggis', are now normally held on the bard's birthday, 25th January.

Attached Image

According to tradition, Burns suppers can be either formal or informal. Informal suppers typically include haggis, neeps and tatties, as well as prodigious amounts of Scotch whisky. There is also recitation of Burns' poetry. Formal dinners usually end with dancing when ladies are present.

The standard format of a formal Burns Night supper is as follows:
  • Start of the evening
  • Host's welcoming speech
  • Entrance of the haggis
  • Supper
  • Immortal memory
  • Appreciation
  • Toast to the Lassies
  • Reply to the Toast to the Lassies
  • Other toasts and speeches
  • Works by Burns
  • Closing
Will you be celebrating Burns Night with a wee supper ... or even just a toast to the great man? If so, please post your plans and/or experiences below.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Jan 2011, 11:53pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Our UCM are having a Social with Buffet on Tuesday night to celebrate.
But there will be no address to the Haggis, and as it will be all lassie's, then there will be no one to toast us. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 23rd Jan 2011, 11:58pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Martin, I think you'll find more Burns Suppers are held OUTSIDE Scotland than celebrated in!
Between 1982 and 2007 I hardly missed a year but have never celebrated it in Scotland once (sadly)! lol
There will be Burns Suppers all across the globe, on Tuesday night - from Peking to Bangkok - Moscow to Sydney - and in many HUNDREDS of pubs and clubs throughout England.
Haggis being disembowelled, in time honoured fashion.
He is indeed, quite possibly the most famous Scot ever born.
The traditions are almost religiously observed - and good wholesome fun is enjoyed by all who attend them.
Whoever, and wherever you are, I hope you all enjoy Burns Night, in your own special way. (And if youve never been to one, you must put this wrong to rights, as soon as you possibly CAN!)

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
weeshuggie
post 23rd Jan 2011, 11:59pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,392
... the man who was voted 'The Greatest Ever Scot' in 2009

Now you have to ask WHY!

What did he do to be the greatest ever Scot, he got blootered quite a lot and wrote poems that don't rhyme.

He never scored a goal in an old firm game or invented anything worthwhile, he never saved anyone's life or a last minute penalty so how on god's earth can this man be voted Greatest Ever Scot.

I'll not be raising a drink to him or eating haggis, I'll just hiv a drink to honour Scotland's greatest ever man....Henrik Larsson!!!!!!!!!

Aw gie's peace we're aw in the Euro noo so Ghod is Numero Uno

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 24th Jan 2011, 12:25am
Post #5

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
It's my birthday also on Tuesday and I have the haggis in and the neep in and the tatties in. However, my daughter wants to take me out for dinner on Tuesday. ---- Now, I live in Northern Ireland, not known for celebrating Burn's night, so I'll need to have my haggis tomorrow night instead. On the other hand, my daughter can be devious and I know that she has also purchased a rather large haggis! So, is she secretly planning the first restaurant prepared haggis that Ballymena has ever seen? Have I to watch the slaughter of TWO beasties on consecutive nights?
She's planning something, as I have been instructed not to take the car, so I must presume that alcohol is involved in some way. I'll be thoroughly disappointed if I end up with my usual scampi & chips and a glass of wine! Oh why did they send me a photo of this oversized beastie, in the first place?

Attached Image

I can't wait to find out. Please excuse me for getting so over-excited!!

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
Taylor9
post 24th Jan 2011, 12:52am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 6,735
My Father ,never missed a burns Supper,but i must admit i have never been at one myself. Like Haggis on the Day,right enough.

+Quote Post
snowman123
post 24th Jan 2011, 01:17am
Post #7

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,303
NO !!!!!!!

--------------------
They are the champions because they are the best !!!

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 24th Jan 2011, 01:35am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
QUOTE (hughmac @ 23rd Jan 2011, 11:46pm) *
It's my birthday also on Tuesday and I have the haggis in and the neep in and the tatties in. However, my daughter wants to take me out for dinner on Tuesday. ---- Now, I live in Northern Ireland, not known for celebrating Burn's night, so I'll need to have my haggis tomorrow night instead. On the other hand, my daughter can be devious and I know that she has also purchased a rather large haggis! So, is she secretly planning the first restaurant prepared haggis that Ballymena has ever seen? Have I to watch the slaughter of TWO beasties on consecutive nights?
She's planning something, as I have been instructed not to take the car, so I must presume that alcohol is involved in some way. I'll be thoroughly disappointed if I end up with my usual scampi & chips and a glass of wine! Oh why did they send me a photo of this oversized beastie, in the first place?

Attached Image

I can't wait to find out. Please excuse me for getting so over-excited!!

Love this picture . I also have the haggis picture on my phone. I will be celebrating but not Burns, just the fact that I gave up smoking I year ago

+Quote Post
Old Sailor
post 24th Jan 2011, 02:05am
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 4,642
Last night I had the priviledge of Chairing our RCL's Annual Burns Suppehere in West Vancouver, BC, Canada. It was a formal affair and hugely successful. A toast that is given to the Address, "The Twa' Lands" tells of the unity between Scotland and Canada with crossed Flags on display, the Red Maple Leaf of Canada and the Soltaire of Scotland. There are probably more Canadians of all nationalities here in this Municipality of West Vancouver (40,000 population) being exposed to and attending Burns Suppers on a per capta basis than there is in the whole of Scotland. Yacht Club, Legion, Community Centre, Chamber of Commerce, Senior's Centre all held dinners last week and it's not yet the 25th. We have an emegre Scottish butcher and Haggis maker in the community. Vancouver proper, has a statue to Robbie Burns in its world famous Stanley Park and the local, and National, Radio Stations are already playing songs of Burns and Scotland. There are many Scots in Canada who never attended a Burns Dinner in Scotland and last night I even heard one of them say, "It's not a big thing in Scotland", shame on you! Burns never wore a kilt so as Chair of our formal dinner I wore black tie, but the audience were dressed in all forms of Tartan, so it is also a celebraation of Scottish culture, with many readings of Burns. We did, and translated to modern idiom, the great narrative Tam o' Shanter. Happy BurnsDau everyone.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 24th Jan 2011, 02:24am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Only been to one in a friends hoose up in Seattle Wa, about 20 years ago, he is from Irvine Ayrshire.
Verygood night lots of people there and good speakers, didnae know much about what was being said in verse.
That photo of Burns I have up on the wall in my computer room. and either side of his image is the Brig o Doon, and on the other side is his cottage, its a 3' x 5' rug had that over 25 years.

+Quote Post
breeks
post 24th Jan 2011, 02:49am
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,989
It is curious to recall that while I grew up in Glasgow I heard little about the celebration of Burns except that the little church I attended always had a semi-formal affair with most of the usual parts to it.
However, upon immigrating to Canada in 1984 as a clergyman I found my Scottish-based congregations had been making acknowledgement of Rabbie, (or Robbie as he is commonly addressed here), for many years. As the only 1st-generation Scot in one of my congregations in Ontario I was expected to play a leading part in the proceedings! So I had to learn to recite "The Haggis", which I did in the style of the late Andy Stewart!!
In Saint John, New Brunswick I joined the St. Andrew's Society who celebrate a very formal Burns Night. Always a sold out affair, with kilts and tartan everywhere. Now I am retired to PEI and the Caledonian Club here acknowledge Burns with a "Scottish style concert" close to the date. There are some songs of Burns and I have had the privilege to recited "The Haggis" plus other poems, (this year it was Tam O' Shanter"), but . . .
Now I can't speak for every group, club or society that tip the hat to Rabbie, but many of the affairs in Canada tend to be more in the line of recognizing Scottish roots with a mixed bag of Burns and anything else associated with Scotland. Hence quite a bit of tartan, for example. I wonder if Burns possessed anything in plaid - hmm? Here in PEI a Burns concert includes things like Pipe Bands; Highland Dancing; fiddle music, and many songs and music from well beyond Ayrshire!!
This past Sunday 2.5 hours were spent on the early morning CBC programme here in the Maritimes relating to Burns. It was good to hear. However, the DJ for the programme indicated that the Scots in Canada get to celebrate the things of Scotland twice a year - unlike the Irish, English or Welsh. True! But I have to say that the 25th of January is often got a bit more water added to the drink over Burns than some of us would like!!

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 24th Jan 2011, 06:08am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Heather @ 24th Jan 2011, 09:14am) *
Our UCM are having a Social with Buffet on Tuesday night to celebrate.
But there will be no address to the Haggis, and as it will be all lassie's, then there will be no one to toast us. laugh.gif

Whit's an UCM?

+Quote Post
irrie
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:47am
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 24th Jan 2011, 05:29am) *
Whit's an UCM?

Morning all. Union of charming mothers. OK im a crawler.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Jan 2011, 10:10am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Not only is Burns revered for his poetry,but the world over he is known and respected by Freemasons having been a member in Lodge Tarbolton(Kilwinning) raised in 1781.Like many others I will be celebrating the Bards Immortal Memory in true Scottish tradition as will the many hundreds of Lodges throughout Scotland.

+Quote Post
greta
post 24th Jan 2011, 10:48am
Post #15

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
Being a Scot it is not only necessary but an honor to celebrate Robert Burns. He is loved and respected all over the globe and rightly so. He was an amazing man with an enormous talent , anyone ever reading such a poem as ,to a mouse and not being touched by it must be a fool. He believed in equality freedom and living to the full limit of your potential. And very few of us do that.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.