Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

126 Pages V  « < 53 54 55 56 57 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Celtic Football Club, Scottish football
hubert
post 28th Mar 2012, 02:26pm
Post #811

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Thomas Rogne last night slammed claims that Celtic are big game bottlers.

Neil Lennon's Hoops have come under fire after two painful defeats in a week. And critics — like SunSport's Davie Provan — insist they can't handle the big occasion.

But Rogne hit back: "That's nonsense. We have played a lot of big games and we have won them in the past. We've lost two big games now — but that can happen."

Defeat to Kilmarnock in the League Cup Final wrecked Celtic's Treble dream.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...s-bottlers.html

I dont always like to see player comments in print, however these are good comments by Rogne.
Celtic need quality up front, and have for sometime, its all verywell knowing Hooper and Stokes can score goals all beit against very average fitba teams, ie. the SPL.
Players like Hooper, Stokes, Samaras, Forrest, have to do more on the park, the old addage that defense starts at the front is in my opinion of primary importance, and from what I can see and determine, it most certainly is not there.
Getting the ball upfront requires not just scoring goals, but to at least hold onto the ball and troubling the opposition defense for at least a period of time, not immediately losing the ball or being offside or fouling, giving the other team the ball.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hubert
post 30th Mar 2012, 01:31pm
Post #812

Mega City Key Holder
Neil Lennon hits back at critics of his young side. By RONNIE CULLY
Neil Lennon reckons critics who are trying to claim his team lack bottle on the big occasions are looking in the wrong direction.

The Celtic boss admits to being “bemused” and “bewildered” at suggestions his players are not up to it.

Lennon is adamant their track record should afford them huge respect, not cheap shots. He said: “I think these are people on the outside looking in who are just looking for the slightest excuse to have a pop at the team who have lost two games in the last 28.

By Hughie Stein. LoL
Unfortunately the two games lost were biggies.
I will wait till the last kick of the ball this season before I make my final judgement on Neil Lennon, Celtic and all things considered.
Here is a consideration in regards to the SPL title, when we win it and its more than ten points, I will have a smile like a Cheshire Cat, and if its less than ten points, I will just have a happy smile.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 30th Mar 2012, 06:36pm
Post #813

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Just heard the shocking news that Stan Petrov has been diagnosed with acute leukaemia (see story below). I wish him well and the strength to fight this horrible illness.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/3...with-leukaemia/

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound which is why some people appear bright until they speak

+Quote Post
hubert
post 30th Mar 2012, 09:41pm
Post #814

Mega City Key Holder
Get well soon Stan, treatment will work.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 30th Mar 2012, 11:48pm
Post #815

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
My sincere wishes for Stilian and his Family , I know how terrible it can be having lost our Mother to that awful disease.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 1st Apr 2012, 03:19pm
Post #816

Mega City Key Holder
Celtic 2 St Johnstone 0.
An additional three points towards the total for the SPL title.
Forster 6.5
Lustig 6.5
Loovens 6.5
Rogne 6.5
Mulgrew 6.5 MOTM
Commons 6
Brown 6.5
Ledley 6
Samaras 6.5
Stokes 5
Hooper 5

+Quote Post
GG
post 1st Apr 2012, 05:23pm
Post #817

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I wasn't paying attention – I thought that was the title but, of course, with Rangers winning yesterday at Motherwell, Celtic will need to wait at least another week to have the party.

Celtic moved within one point of clinching the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title by beating St Johnstone at Parkhead.
The Hoops found it a struggle in the first half against a well-organised Saints side, but a Georgios Samaras header and an own goal by midfielder Chris Millar after the break saw off the visitors, whose striker Cillian Sheridan missed a great chance with the game goalless.
It was not a vintage Celtic performance, who were perhaps a bit deflated by Rangers' win at Motherwell ON Saturday which prevented a possible title party on Sunday.

However, that will not worry Hoops boss Neil Lennon, whose side need only a draw at Kilmarnock next Saturday to be crowned champions. ...

Bhoys move one point away form SPL title
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...-SPL-title.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
hubert
post 1st Apr 2012, 07:49pm
Post #818

Mega City Key Holder
Celtic have two good interesting games coming up, next week against Kilmarnock which even a draw sees us the SPL champs, and the following week we play Hearts in the Scottish Cup semi final.
Watching the lineup today at the central back, it was Loovens at right centre back and Rogne at left centre back, I was thinking how many permutations has Celtic and their coaches made at the back including the right and left wingbacks, its beyond my remembering because it seems countless, and not only that even some players get switched from right to left frequently, you see its quite a number of different players but as I said they go from one side to the other often.
Then we have players up front especially Hooper and Stokes whom I think have forgotten how to score, I believe Commons has for he has not scored this season I heard.
Samaras got a real good header today and scored, but he and young Forrest can be playing long enough without scoring results.
To get to the point I guess is, that continuity and consistancy is ultimately required for a strong above average competitive team, and that goes beyond the very average SPL standard we see every week.
Can Celtic achieve this, I think they can, so then why do they look like they wont?
I have my thinking on this as to why, however THOSE running Celtic in my opinion are content to let the fans take what is dished up, in other words, "what you see is what you get"!
"We aint seen nuthin yit"!

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 2nd Apr 2012, 10:38am
Post #819

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
QUOTE (hubert @ 30th Mar 2012, 10:29pm) *
Get well soon Stan, treatment will work.

I hope so, he is a genuine nice guy.

I remember when he came to Celtic that he was a very big contributor to charity. Not just by making appearances.

If I recall correctly, he used to send about 50% of his salary back home to charities in Bulgaria.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 2nd Apr 2012, 10:53am
Post #820

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Re Stilian Petrov : Hopefully he will overcome this dreadful illness. All the best to him.

--------------------
They said "The will of the Scottish people must be heard"
It was - and the Nats are still no bloody happy !

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 2nd Apr 2012, 02:54pm
Post #821

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 2nd Apr 2012, 10:41am) *
Re Stilian Petrov : Hopefully he will overcome this dreadful illness. All the best to him.

Hear Hear.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 7th Apr 2012, 02:34pm
Post #822

Mega City Key Holder
Kilmarnock 0 Celtic 6.
Magnificent Mulgrew, MOTM.
Congratulations to Neil Lennon and all at the Celtic club, to a well deserved clinching of the SPL title today. thumbup.gif

Forster 7.5
Mathews 7.5
Loovens 7.5
K Wilson 7.5
Mulgrew 8.5 MOTM
Commons 7.5
Brown 7.5
Ki 7.5
Ledley 7.5
Samaras 7.5
Hooper 7.5

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th Apr 2012, 09:52am
Post #823

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Yes, hearty congratulations to Neil Lennon, all the players and staff at Celtic for becoming worthy champions. Well, they must be worthy champions because even Walter Smith said so rolleyes.gif (as did McCoist after Watty told him to laugh.gif )

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound which is why some people appear bright until they speak

+Quote Post
Heather
post 9th Apr 2012, 09:39pm
Post #824

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Well done Celtic.

Raised on Celtic. Sung by the Thai Tims.

http://youtu.be/w0ujjdjTDVs

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Apr 2012, 09:59pm
Post #825

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
laugh.gif Heather!

It's a huge personal achievement for Neil Lennon, especially winning the title at Rugby Park, where the Celtic manager was within one goal of probably leaving the club (Celtic were 3-0 down to Kilmarnock at half-time and 10 points behind Rangers in the league).

October 15, 2011

With Kilmarnock leading 3-0 after 72 minutes, it looked like this was going to be a seismic day for Celtic. It would turn out that way although not for the reasons that seemed most likely at that time. A fourth defeat in 10 league matches would likely have ended Celtic's championship aspirations and could also have led Neil Lennon to resign, the Celtic manager later admitting the thought had crossed his mind.

Instead he had James Forrest, Anthony Stokes and Charlie Mulgrew to thank for getting his team back on track. Forrest, Celtic's best performer on the day, started the comeback, winning the free-kick that Stokes curled beyond Anssi Jaakola. The Irishman then scored again, before Mulgrew turned in an equaliser. The road to redemption started out at Rugby Park.

Five games that won the title
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/footba...4-celtic-1-rang

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

126 Pages V  « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.