Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Glasgow Shops Open Later?, Plan could boost city centre economy
GG
post 22nd Oct 2010, 12:09am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The manager of one of the city's most popular shopping destinations has urged authorities and retailers to work together to allow shops in the city centre to open later. Sue Nicol, general manager of the St Enoch shopping centre in Argyle Street, believes that late night opening during the week, as happens in London, will breathe life into the city centre and help improve the atmosphere in shopping precincts which tend to become very quite in the early evening.

Speaking this week, Ms Nicol commented:
"I believe by extending their trading hours, retailers would help to breathe life and bring atmosphere back into the city centre in the evening. We've already had preliminary discussions with some of our key anchor stores and I’m hopeful that in the coming months we will be encouraging other retail centres to follow our lead."

The drive to extend opening times to at least 7pm received backing from the management of other shopping centres in the city centre, including from the manager of the upmarket Princes Square mall, who said:
"I believe late night shopping would drive sales and cement the city’s reputation as a prime shopping destination."

The issue of a lull in activity caused by the gap between the closure of high street shops and revellers making their way to entertainment venues later in the evening, was highlighted by a journalist whose expectations of Glasgow's shopping venues were not matched by the reality. Following an evening visit to Sauchiehall Street, Mary Dejevsky commented earlier this month in the Independent newspaper that:
... This major thoroughfare is like any other British chain-dominated high street – except in one respect. When I strolled down it just before six in the evening, practically every shop, even the betting shop, was closed. Pubs and clubs may spring into life later, but in the early evening there was no reason to hang around.

Attached Image

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boots
post 22nd Oct 2010, 02:04am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
I think extended evening shopping hours would benefit both stores and would-be shoppers. rather than closing at seven though, why not stay open 'til nine? so customers could shop at leisure and then relax at a pub or club. Perhaps extended hours could be two or three nights a week...Thursday, Friday and maybe Saturday.

+Quote Post
beth
post 22nd Oct 2010, 03:13am
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Shops here are open later. Makes life easier for working mums. Would it not also create part-time employment?. As a wee tourist, I found it strange that city centre shops closed so early

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd Oct 2010, 05:13am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
This looks to me to be a desperate attempt by the traders to combat what is in effect the competition they face from shopping centres such as Braehead,Silverburn and the Fort. Many citizens will shop in the city but many more use the peripheral centres where there are no worries re parking which is free.I dont think there would be any great benefit to opening shops later but if there are no legal restrictions the traders should be allowed to give it a go.There is however still the same amount of money in the economy and it boils down to how they want to spread the jam.

+Quote Post
nessie287
post 22nd Oct 2010, 07:13am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,301
As a working member of the public I would welcome longer opening times. I do not get a chance to go shopping in the city centre due to my working hours unless it is my day off or Saturday.
Especially in the running up to Christmas I think it would benefit the retailers and the customers to keep the shops open a little longer.

+Quote Post
bds1958
post 22nd Oct 2010, 08:15am
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,862
In the current economic situation I would say yes providing they all employed extra staff.

--------------------
" a nation of sheep results in a government of wolves"

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."

“The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 22nd Oct 2010, 09:11am
Post #7

Am just amazed that this hasent been done already, this is of course Scotlands largest commercial city. I believe they should be open even later than this.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 22nd Oct 2010, 10:21am
Post #8

It's their business and should be allowed to operate it to it's best advantage.

+Quote Post
*ConsmoBoy*
post 22nd Oct 2010, 11:36am
Post #9

I believe this needs to happen simply because I'm so fed up with having nothing to do in Glasgow at night except go to pubs, or the gym, or go to Tesco. It's boring as hell here at night during the week and if we want to boost tourism and be competitive with the likes of London and Barcelona, to retain talent as well as attracting tourists and giving the people who live here a better night life, this is what we need to do. Among other things.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 22nd Oct 2010, 12:03pm
Post #10

The idea of the stores staying open a bit later is good, this means that when your shopping late that you would be more inclined to use the bars, restaurants ect instead of cooking.
Good idea.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Oct 2010, 12:40pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Over here the shops in the town stay open till 8pm with some of the supermarkets open till 10pm and that's Monday till Saturday. This might have a lot to do with the fact that we're a border town. It's good all round though since it does create more employment and there's no real rush to catch the shops straight after work.
Sunday it's like a ghost town; unlike Glasgow, which surprised me when I was there making me feel I'd lost a day somewhere. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
calltom2000
post 22nd Oct 2010, 01:38pm
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 7,148
I am surprised that the opening of stores to a later hour has still not been implemented. Here in Oshawa Canada the malls are open till 9.00 P M Mon. to Fri and 6.00 p m Sat. Sunday they are open from 11.00 A M till 6.00 P. M Although I agree there is only so much cash to go around. With the xmas season approaching maybe now would be a good time to start.

+Quote Post
*Rosemary*
post 22nd Oct 2010, 02:05pm
Post #13

I think that it would boost the economy. Part time workers would have money to spend. Tourists often are used to shopping whenever they go at all hours, and 9 pm is a better closing tome that 7 pm. To walk around a city when everything is closed at 5-6 pm is boring; I also think that some of the surrounding area stores should also stay open later. I do not vote to open the shops on a Sunday, except Mom & Pop stores.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 22nd Oct 2010, 02:21pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Good idea, I have been in town at times and it was quiet
As long as staff are not expected to work longer hours for too litle extra wages
Bye for now,norrie

+Quote Post
Albanach
post 22nd Oct 2010, 05:24pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,054
So long as staff are looked after properly and not exploited. later opening would be beneficial to everyone, particularly people who finish work at the same time as the stores currently close. Sauchiehall St, Buchanan St, Argyle St should be as busy and vibrant at night as they are during the day.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.