Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fifty Pitches, FOOTBALL PITCHES
fory
post 16th Oct 2010, 08:48pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,099
laugh.gif MANY MEMORIES OF THE FIFTY PITCHES ANYBODY REMEMBER THEM.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenb
post 21st Oct 2011, 02:31am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
the fifty pitches were inpaisley i think . i played there on sundays they were on thee way to the airport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 21st Oct 2011, 04:55am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
The Fifty Pitches, I remember were just off the Sheildhall Rd in Drumoyne
off Meiklewood Rd
Used to go and watch my Boyfriend play Fitba there in the 60's

cheers laugh.gif

+Quote Post
enrique
post 21st Oct 2011, 12:08pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
huh.gif tongue.gif Fifty pitches were at the end of Drumoyne and the start of Cardonald . in my day there were wooden huts to change in and they also had small pitches and small goals for the younger players ie Lifeboys etc, they spread all the way over to the Lumi Lamp factory opposite Hardgate road, there was no lighting in the huts and you had to scurry about in the dark if you dropped a sock or some item of clothing, they were all black dirt or ash parks to start with then some red ash started to appear, bit sore when you went in for the old slide tackle, the famous Harmony Row youth club had some of there teams playing there on a regular bases, players like Alec and Martin Ferguson, Andy Geogan (aberdeen),Gordon McQueen, John Grant Hibs , Joe Wark , Motherwell, to mention but a few, it was well known if you fancied a game you just turned up with your boots and there was always a team with players short, i remeber a guy called Jim Driver he played for Kilmarnockk , but he was that keen on football you could find him most nights standing with his boots at the huts looking for a game , i am sure he played under many different names over the years great memories

+Quote Post
irrie
post 21st Oct 2011, 02:15pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (kenb @ 21st Oct 2011, 02:40am) *
the fifty pitches were inpaisley i think . i played there on sundays they were on thee way to the airport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kenb. I believe you are thinking of the Racecourse at St James in Paisley. Played there often and there were a lot of pitches. Not so many now as they were taken away for the motorway. Cheers

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.