Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time For A Benny Lynch Statue?, Should city's sporting legend be honoured?
mad skiver
post 13th Jul 2010, 02:24pm
Post #61

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,951
My favourite has got to be-

Gorbals - ''Golden-Haired Lass'', Gorbals, 1964.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**petunia**
post 13th Jul 2010, 04:30pm
Post #62

Thank you madskiver very interesting web page.

P.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jul 2010, 06:13pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (mad skiver @ 13th Jul 2010, 05:24pm) *
My favourite has got to be-

Gorbals - ''Golden-Haired Lass'', Gorbals, 1964.

Great pix but site a wee bit hard to navigate. E.g. How to find photo you mention above? Have to click on each bit of film, instead of having a "next" button.

+Quote Post
tmh65bundy
post 13th Jul 2010, 10:42pm
Post #64

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,227
Hi Teeheehee,
I have no idea who you met but I have it from a reliable source that Bennys son Robert has never been to That part of the world and is probably someone who shared the same name as it is a common name in these parts, Bennys son still lives near his mum in Canada.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Jul 2010, 11:04pm
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (tmh65bundy @ 13th Jul 2010, 11:42pm) *
Hi Teeheehee,
I have no idea who you met but I have it from a reliable source that Bennys son Robert has never been to That part of the world and is probably someone who shared the same name as it is a common name in these parts, Bennys son still lives near his mum in Canada.

We were all contractors, self employed from the whole of the UK (including Isle of Wight where they built the Hovercraft) and some from Canada and one or two from the States. . Ask your source if Bobby worked on aircraft (maybe Canadair or Carvair) in Canada.
Cheers,
Tee.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
**Georgina**
post 15th Jul 2010, 12:31am
Post #66

I voted for Benny as he had a tough life and still managed to make something of it. My dad was born in the Gorbals just a few years after Benny and I loved him telling me the stories but deep down I knew they made him sad to tell them.

Georgie.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 15th Jul 2010, 08:31am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
It sounds like Benny was the everyman of working poor of Glasgow. Blessed with talents that he used to the fullest but also cursed with the affliction of alcohol plus I am sure he received no or bad advice on how to handle his life. Where would he go for rehab or a twelve step programmme in those days ?
I do admire what he accomplished. However, I have to wonder if we need statues at all in this modern world. There better uses to put that kind of money towards. Secondly a plaque would be sufficient, if any one interested they would find more about the man just by Googling his name if they were interested. That would apply to all that merited this type of recognition. I mean how many people in Glasgow could tell whose statues are in George Square today, why would it be any different if a new statue was put up. I neve heard of Benny until my adult life. We heard about another boxing champion as a chidl, my Father grew up in the twenties, did I tell you my last name is Dempsey? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Jul 2010, 07:48pm
Post #68

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (tmh65bundy @ 11th Jul 2010, 01:44pm) *
I have just started a facebook group Glasgow should Erect a statue of Benny Lynch please get your freinds to join even invite people you dont like the more people who join the more pressure we can put on the council to erect it. Billy Connolly is a fine man but Benny was a world champion and the first from Glasgow.

Well done TM, a short article about the 'Benny Lynch Statue' Facebook page was in the Metro today. Did you see it?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 16th Jul 2010, 02:23pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
I have tried no tae get involved in this discussion talking aboot building a statue tae wee benny too little too late.

When the wee man was reeling aroon glesga in his ain wee world ,destitute in the grip o that hellish disease alcoholisim, cause noo we all recognize the fact that is what it is, where were aw the helping hauns.

sure his manager and some promoters tried tae dry him oot but when they saw it was a hopeless case and he was o nae further use he was drapped like a hot potato.

Reduced tae begging sleeping rough etc being beaten up by scum fer bragging rights my auld faither in law alex kelly who had boxed fer the Dublin Fusiliers wance handed oot a savage beating tae a hulking irish navvie who was abusing the wee man in crown street.

When the wee man finally heard the last bell nae doubt there would be the usual wringing o hauns an gnashin o teeth , high praise you know the usual crap spouted by the insincere what a great wee guy how sorry they were etc.

An that my friens in most cases is a boxers lot ,unscrupuolus
managers, promotors and in the case o many an american boxer the mafia in this case right up tae the midsixties before it was cleaned up tae a certain degree.
There has been many instances o the poor boy reaching the top having say 5 or 6 championship fights that grossed millions his pittance o a pay oot didnae last long efter retirement and some like we benny ended up alcoholics and drug addicts.

Think am talking keech ,look at ali who had many championship fights and yet when the u.s. government wanted tae make an example o himan took awie his licence within a year he was almost destitute where did his big purses go ask Elijah Muhammad the black muslim con man an his so called nation o islam .

The sad part was during his exile one of the men who dug deep intae his pockets was Joe Frazier who gave yep gave him a considerable amount o money .
Does any wan think ali wanted to carry on and latterly becoming a punch bag fer the new huge younger super heavyweights that became the norm in that era.

There was the odd manager who put his charge first and foremost Cus D'amato who took care of floyd patterson ,and later mike tyson who never got over cus's death...Jim Wickes who took care o henry cooper and treated him like a son alas to few and far between .

Just wan mair case the auld colored fighter beau jack who was once a shoeshineboy at a high class hotel cos thats the kind o job that was open tae the afro american in the so called land o the free back in the 20 '30' 40'etc became a boxer and a good wan at that , one day years later cus d'amato visited that hotel and a voice said tae him'' shine yo shoes suh ''
imagine cus's surprise when looking at the auld colored gent he recogonised b, jack naw says cus get up there i'm gonna shine yours and he did so leaving him a nice wee bung.
Boxing a hard geme still tae this day full o sharks looking fer the gullible an the unwary, seconds oot anywan?

Theres a wee song that weighs it up pretty good simple title'' The boxer'' written by that wee words smith Paul Simon ,''In his corner stauns a boxer''
etc never fails tae strike a chord wie me nae matter how often i play it .

Statue fer wee Benny its a yes fae me.

p.s just tae show this exploitation is still goin on wee snippit aboot Don King the great white shark an a know he's african american.

This scum bag handled the affaires o philadelphian Steve cunningham afro american and wan time holder o the ibf cruiser weight title fer 8 years .

Noo get this, the boy slipped the leash left fer europe signed fer german promoter sauerland events ,had three fight noo wait fer it he has made mair money fae them than all the money he got aff king fer 8 long hard years . HOW doe the song go agin, in the corner stauns a boxer an a fighter by his trade . it wid be funny if it wisnae so sad.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Jul 2010, 03:29pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
How right you are auldbutcher, Benny had my vote right away on this topic.
Kalle Sauerland's new boy; and new IBF Champ Cunningham.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 18th Jul 2010, 11:18am
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
Good photo t,h,h boy looks in the peak o condition i watched a brit heavyweight fight the other week tween John Mcdermot a guy who looked like an over inflated beach ball ,and a guy called Tyson Fury who efter 3 rounds was gasping like a fish oota water, the thought struck me how much roadwork did this clown engage in afore the fight .

In this condition both were putting them selves at risk o serious damage but then agin neither o them seemed tae have much in the way o power the pair o them had nae sign o any muscle defination .

In a case such as this there should be a fine imposed on there purse as they are not only cheating themselves but the peying public tae boot ,and also the bbbc should tightin up on the standard o fitness demanded of a fighter unlike other weights there is nae limit tae the weight a heavy comes intae the ring at, this leading to a lot of unfit men turning up for various bouts .

And that was part o wee Bennys problem, the life he was leading in the latter part o his career lead to him being stripped o his title afore a punch was landed.

Wee foot note Norman Wisdom the comedian an i use the term loosely was a great admirer o benny and he had been a boxer in his army days his ambition was tae play benny but i ah mind right the family did not want the full story o the wee man made even more public.

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Jul 2010, 12:13pm
Post #72

Administrator
Group Icon
You are correct about the Norman Wisdom link auldbutcher. Mr Wisdom decided not to make the film after he was threatened with legal action by Benny's family over the proposed depiction of the great boxer in the film. Basically, my understanding is that there will never be any film made about Benny Lynch while Benny's close family members are alive.

Speaking about possible works of his father's life, Robert Lynch said the following 2003:

"Lies seem to follow him around. People think that any garbage can be written about him and that nobody will care. My father took a drink, it's true, but so did a lot of people in Glasgow.

My father never swore and in the morning before every fight he would go to Mass and he got himself a haircut. That was the kind of man he was. We can live with people talking about the negative side of his life because he did drink, but it's the lies and the other things that are thrown in that are totally out of line. These people are ghouls. They are just trying to make money from the dead.

By law you can say what you like about a person who is deceased and we are getting it all the time. Lies have plagued my family for years. We want to make clear that we're going to be watching these productions closely and if any mention is made of family members who are still alive then we'll go after them big time.

We've consulted lawyers over the years and each time we've been successful because we chase the financial backers away. That's what we'll do this time."

One of the reasons I set up the Benny Lynch website in 2001 was to help counter the overly-frequent negative portrayals of the great Glaswegian:

http://www.bennylynch.co.uk

There's a great article (well worth a read) here about this subject:

Widow vows to knock-out Carlyle's Benny Lynch film

THE family of former Scottish world champion boxer Benny Lynch say they will take legal action to prevent a film about the controversial sportsman being made.

Anne Docherty, Lynch's widow, and his son Robert Lynch, are threatening "to do whatever it takes" to fight attempts by Bill Bryden and Robert Carlyle to make two separate films about the legend's life.

Bryden revealed last month that he was making a film version of his award-winning 1975 play, Benny, which depicted the rise and fall of the boxer who became Scotland's first world champion fighter in the 1930s. With Bryden directing, it is set to begin filming in Glasgow later this year with young Scottish actor Iain Robertson in the title role. ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...5/ai_n12582066/

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Jul 2010, 12:19pm
Post #73

Administrator
Group Icon
If a statue of Benny is to be crafted then I think a recreation of his depiction on the front of Ring Magazine in 1937 would be a great starting point for the sculptor:

... although the folowing photo of benny is probably the most famous:

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 18th Jul 2010, 01:22pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Good articles GG,
Btw, I am now more convinced than ever that Robert Lynch, of Toronto, is the same Bobby Little with whom I worked in Sweden.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 18th Jul 2010, 03:48pm
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks gg fer yer articles anything aboot boxing gets takenaboard wie me .

And yes the fact you are an alcoholic does not mean you should be looked upon wie scorn and derision, as i've mentioned afore in my trade there were many guys who could be classed as alcoholics .

Manys a good night i spent in there company, good ,honest ,witty ,openhanded ,yep open handed this is a trait i found in the biggest majority o them ,living life tae the full was there motto, but for some who went completely ower the top life became a nightmare.

the ring was one of my fav magazines for years that and the boxing news i have the pic o benny but i have never seen that cover before .
Louis pastor that will be Bob Pastor.

When going to boot sales i always keep an eye open fer any memrobillia aboot boxing.

That is the first time i have seen the full 2 rounds many thanks.

Very apt the saying sad but very true.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Apr 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.