Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joannas Disco
Rating 5 V
doctor
post 21st Apr 2010, 05:55pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,435
I was a bouncer (but they preferred us to be known as stewards) in Joannas 1972 - 1st January 1973.
Are their any ex staff from that time out there ???????????
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pommy999
post 18th Oct 2010, 01:11pm
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,082
I used to go to Joanna's from late 1971-THE place to go at that time.
My husband Tommy and his friend Harry worked there, latterly in the bar, from 1970-1972, although I didn't know him until later.
Do you remember him?
I remember the DJ Big Joe (Stringfellow).

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 21st Oct 2010, 02:49pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 9,116
went a few times pommy but canny mind anyone at the bar Im afaid.. preferred dance halls to discos but was good.

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 22nd Oct 2010, 01:14am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
Many a time I tried to get in but some big bouncer kept saying - Not Tonight Boys! So we just headed for the Suave Sav! lol

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 22nd Oct 2010, 09:00am
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 9,116
what was the name of the club that was burned down near the Berline pub at Queen st station.. I got a knockback from there when I was 30,, said I was too young.. hahah wish it was now.. wouldnt mind a knockback..

+Quote Post
*Hugh Martin*
post 15th Aug 2011, 01:38pm
Post #6

I loved Joanna's on Friday nights in the early 70's. If you got a Lumber you danced to Joanna by The Walker Brothers, if not it was the chippy and late bus home from St Georges Cross. I ate alot of chips back then !

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 4th Mar 2012, 11:27pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 4,710
Hello everyone. I was the DJ at Joannas from Nov 1969 until Mid 1980(apart from a 3 month period between Dec 1973-March 1974). I worked Friday and Saturday nights. JOANNAS was situated underneath the Albert ballroom on Bath Street. The spot is now home to Tennents Lager building. Anyway I first started djing at the Outback club which was situated on the top floor of the building directly across from the Picasso Club in Buchanan street. The owner was a wee Australian guy called Mike. It was a death trap with 3 flights of stairs the ONLY escape should a fire break out,but luckily that never happened. And anyway in those days "safety" was the furthest thing from anybodys mind. I also remember in the Outback we had 2 go-go dancers,and I can remember that one came from Coatbridge,and yours trully being from Pollok,Coatbridge was the other side of the world. I frequented the LUNAR 7 pub for a pint before going in to work in Outback. I left there in the summer of 1969 because my pals were all going enjoying themselves while I was working. And immediately we started going to Joannas. The dj was a girl who used to sit either reading a book or knitting. I got chatting with her about music etc. And each week we had a wee natter about new record releases. Then in late 1969,she informed me she was moving to Australia and would I like the djing job in Joannas when she leaves. Without a seconds hesitation I said You Bet!!!. And 2 weeks later on a very frosty November Friday night at 9.00pm the manager,who at that time was Mike Smith,and whom I had also got to know,called my house in a panic saying...Joe can come in as quick as possible,the dj was is a bit under the weather,because of all the drinks people were buying her,as she was leaving the next weekend. My dad ran me in to Bath Street. The dj, being a bit worse for wear,said she had left me 10 records to play in order,then it was upto me. Big Tam the bouncer was in a sweat trying to keep the music going.I can still remember his face when I walked in. He was delighted to get out the dj box. After the night ended,the manager(Mike Smith)asked me if I would like to come in through the week for an audition for the djing job. I said Mike, ARE YOU KIDDING???. "I have just been thrown in at the deep-end,and kept the BEST club in Glasgow going for the past 3 hours without a hitch,and a type of dj equipment I had never used before,but more important,I kept the floor packed all night,so that WAS my audtion". He said aye your right Joe,can you do Friday and Saturday nights starting from next weekend?. My answer was "NO PROBLEMS MIKE, BUT get me a microphone, which he promptly did. In fact I think I was the first dj to use a mike,because I cannot remember hearing anyone else using one in any other club,but not sure?. And not long after starting in Joannas, Mike left to manage one of Pleasureama`s(Joannas owners)other clubs. I think it was in Falkirk,but I cannot remember for sure where it was. And Cathie Campbell became the new manageress of Joannas, which she held until it closed down in 1982/3?. I still have the ORIGINAL copy of the Walker Brothers Joanna,that was played EVERY night as the the last record. Or "Lumber" number as I christened it.
Those WERE the days!!!!.
I could write a book about JOANNAS...THE BEST CLUB IN SCOTLAND!!!
Joe Stringfellow(joannas DJ) :-)))))))

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 4th Mar 2012, 11:34pm
Post #8

Visitor
QUOTE (pommy999 @ 18th Oct 2010, 12:59pm) *
I used to go to Joanna's from late 1971-THE place to go at that time.
My husband Tommy and his friend Harry worked there, latterly in the bar, from 1970-1972, although I didn't know him until later.
Do you remember him?
I remember the DJ Big Joe (Stringfellow).

Hi. I remember Tommy and Harry very very well. They were great boys and worked hard behind that bar. Joe Stringfellow(Joannas DJ)

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 5th Mar 2012, 07:21pm
Post #9

Visitor
~dhuh@me~....my apologies. I was in Joannas from 1969 until 1976(not 1980).Memory loss at my age happens lol. And in 1978 I was asked if I would dj in a new club that was opening. It was called Gi Gi`s just off George Square. I was in there about a year and in 1979 I hung up my Earphones for good sad.gif

+Quote Post
doctor
post 17th Mar 2012, 06:18pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,435
Hi DJ,
I remember Cathie Campbell, she had big black gypsy hair back in 1972, one of the DJ's had a collection of suits in crazy colours was that you ? "Old Jimmy" with the little tash was head steward, Harry the little red headed barman worked with Walter a little effeminate guy, both ran into back of bar at first sign of trouble, and only surfaced when we were throwing bad boys out the door wanting to get in a sly kick. Do you remember Mary Campbell she was on bar tall girl with very long dark hair, she was great mates with Cathie Campbell, I wonder what happened to her. I met my wife at Joannas she was a barmaid, we married 1973.

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 20th Mar 2012, 06:02pm
Post #11

Visitor
HI Doctor. When I first started in Joannas the manager was Mike Smith. Cathie became manager in 1970/71. Walter took over from me as DJ from Dec 1973 until I retirned 3 months later. Walter then did Sundays. I remember Harry and Tommy well,good guys. CARZY SUITS!!! Aye that was me lmao. My fav was my 3 peice Red Suit. I too got met my wife in Joannas,she was a waitress and we also got married in Dec 1973.Thats why I left for a couple of months. Must rush got a few things to do. Chat again later..... joe stringfellow

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Mar 2012, 08:00pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I was an (ahem) steward for a short period of time around the end of 1969 beginning of 1970, sadly there are no names in my memory bank. The guy who owned it was quite small, he stood in the background telling us who could get in and who couldn't. My fellow stewards were a tall fair haired guy who I think was ex-army and another guy (Peter?) who had been in the merchant navy. He had a flat up around Park Circus. I got called on a couple of times when they needed reinforcements upstairs in the Albert, the steward who looked like Jimmy Cagney usually sorted things out himself rolleyes.gif . I enjoyed it but didn't last long as the money was not nearly enough for the risks involved in (ahem) asking drunken guys to leave.

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound which is why some people appear bright until they speak

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 21st Mar 2012, 05:07pm
Post #13

Visitor
QUOTE (ashfield @ 20th Mar 2012, 07:48pm) *
I was an (ahem) steward for a short period of time around the end of 1969 beginning of 1970, sadly there are no names in my memory bank. The guy who owned it was quite small, he stood in the background telling us who could get in and who couldn't. My fellow stewards were a tall fair haired guy who I think was ex-army and another guy (Peter?) who had been in the merchant navy. He had a flat up around Park Circus. I got called on a couple of times when they needed reinforcements upstairs in the Albert, the steward who looked like Jimmy Cagney usually sorted things out himself rolleyes.gif . I enjoyed it but didn't last long as the money was not nearly enough for the risks involved in (ahem) asking drunken guys to leave.

Hi Ashfield. I was the DJ at this time. The blonde bouncer was Big John and your correct,the wee stocky guy was Peter. Those were the days! lol biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 21st Mar 2012, 05:08pm
Post #14

Visitor
QUOTE (doctor @ 17th Mar 2012, 06:06pm) *
Hi DJ,
I remember Cathie Campbell, she had big black gypsy hair back in 1972, one of the DJ's had a collection of suits in crazy colours was that you ? "Old Jimmy" with the little tash was head steward, Harry the little red headed barman worked with Walter a little effeminate guy, both ran into back of bar at first sign of trouble, and only surfaced when we were throwing bad boys out the door wanting to get in a sly kick. Do you remember Mary Campbell she was on bar tall girl with very long dark hair, she was great mates with Cathie Campbell, I wonder what happened to her. I met my wife at Joannas she was a barmaid, we married 1973.

HI Doctor. When I first started in Joannas the manager was Mike Smith. Cathie became manager in 1970/71. Walter took over from me as DJ from Dec 1973 until I retirned 3 months later. Walter then did Sundays. I remember Harry and Tommy well,good guys. CARZY SUITS!!! Aye that was me lmao. My fav was my 3 peice Red Suit. I too got met my wife in Joannas,she was a waitress and we also got married in Dec 1973.Thats why I left for a couple of months. Must rush got a few things to do. Chat again later..... joe stringfellow

+Quote Post
Joannas DJ
post 21st Mar 2012, 05:12pm
Post #15

Visitor
QUOTE (Hugh Martin @ 15th Aug 2011, 01:26pm) *
I loved Joanna's on Friday nights in the early 70's. If you got a Lumber you danced to Joanna by The Walker Brothers, if not it was the chippy and late bus home from St Georges Cross. I ate alot of chips back then !

Hi Hugh. Aye thats correct..... I christened Joanna as the LUMBER NUMBER LOL
Those WERE the days!!!..........Joe Stringfellow(joannas DJ)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.