Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sandy Macfarlane Grannie's Highland Home, Seeking information on
whitenee9
post 4th Jul 2004, 03:03am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,241
Sandy MacFarlane wrote and recorded songs during the 1920's-1940's for Columbia Records in New York. His band's name was "The Chimney Swallows", and they often played around the Boston, Massachusetts area.

I believe Sandy MacFarlane was originally from Embo, Scotland. I know he wasn't from Glasgow, but I wondered if any on the boards would remember or know anything about his backround. My grandmother, Kate Simpson (from Glasgow) had several pictures of this Sandy MacFarlane, and I am wondering if there is any connection to her family.

Any information at all would be helpful. Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brenda
post 4th Jul 2004, 03:17am
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,031
Whitenee9, I've never heard of him , but this came up when I searched on Google. Hope it helps. There's lots more data on him and his band. Just go to Google and have a wee look.

[ Sandy MacFarlane and His Chimney Swallows
The band was active during the 'Teens, 1920s, and 1930s, appearing on radio as well as touring. Here's a photograph of the Chimney Swallows
In private correspondence, Mr. Dean-Myatt has recalled:
"I know very little about him except that he was born in Western Scotland and went to America as a young man. He made many records for Columbia and Brunswick, all of which were of Scottish 'music hall' (vaudeville) type material. He composed most of his own songs. One of them, "Granny's Hielan' Hame" is still very popular in Scotland, and is in the repertoire of most Scots popular singers. He is believed to have died in the Boston area. Despite my best efforts I just cannot find out anything about him. Most people nicknamed 'Sandy' were christened 'Alexander'.
The 'Weymouth News' (Massachusetts) reported in their Dec. 1, 1933 edition:
Other MacFarlane recordings include:
"When The Heather Bells are Blooming" Columbia (yr)1916
"Silly Willie"/"The road to the isles" Brunswick 1128
"My bonnie hieland Maggie"/"I'm eighty in the mornin'" Brunswick 3824
"MacNab's a Jolly Sailor,
"The Lassie I Left on The Shore" (composed & sung by Sandy MacFarlane)

On the Columbia Vivatonal Records series: (Recorded 1931-1934)
"The Star OF Robbie Burns" Sandy MacFarlane 2568 D
"My Nannie's Awa'" Sandy MacFarlane 2568 D
"Jack O' Hazeldean" Sandy MacFarlane 2634 D
"The Rose Of Allandale" Sandy MacFarlane 2634 D
"The Auld Hoose" Sandy MacFarlane 2668 D
"When My Ship Comes Sailing Home Again" Sandy MacFarlane 2668 D

+Quote Post
whitenee9
post 4th Jul 2004, 03:26am
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,241
Thank you Brenda! Yes, I have seen that information on google and that's about all there is to be had about him. someone was good enough to get his baptismal for me. I guess I want to know where he died, did he marry, who were his children. Anyway to make a connection between my grandmother and his MacFarlane family. LOL--maybe there was no more a connection than they were both from Scotland, living in the Boston area at the same time, and she went to his concerts. Except, the pictures of him are portraits done in Boston, so I think there more to the story. Also, a painter in Boston painted Sandy MacFarlane a picture of "Grannies' Highland Home", and my gran had a photo of this painting.

any help/ recollections will be informational! thanks

+Quote Post
Brenda
post 4th Jul 2004, 03:33am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,031
Try "Scotlands People" , they are one of the best genealogy sites for records of Births-Marrriages-Deaths. Good luck

+Quote Post
**Jill**
post 17th Jul 2010, 09:04pm
Post #5

HI, Sandy McFarlane was born in glasgow scotland. My grandfather sister was married to Sandy McFarlane. He had 4 children 2 boys, 2 girls. Only 1 is still alive living in Ma. My grandfather came over from scotland when he was 16 years old. He was born in 1895 and lived in PA and MA until he died at 100.
Sandy was already in the states when my grandfather game to the US. His sister was already married to Sandy McFarlane.

I can find out more from my mother.

+Quote Post
**Jill**
post 17th Jul 2010, 09:09pm
Post #6

"Grannies' Highland Home" was my grandfather's home in Embo Scotland. My grandfather's name was John Cumming.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th May 2014, 03:37am
Post #7

I have a copy of SANDY MacFARLANE - GRANNY'S HIELAN' HAME

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th May 2014, 03:40am
Post #8

I have a copy of SANDY MacFARLANE - GRANNY'S HIELAN' HAME record on the Columbia label

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th May 2014, 03:44am
Post #9

QUOTE (*Jill* @ 17th Jul 2010, 09:09pm) *
"Grannies' Highland Home" was my grandfather's home in Embo Scotland. My grandfather's name was John Cumming.

Hear the song here: http://www.raretunes.org/recordings/granny...an-hame-part-1/

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.