Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weekend Bin Collections In Glasgow, Controversial rota system for workers
GG
post 10th Feb 2010, 08:43pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow looks set to become one of the first areas in Scotland to get bin collections on a Saturday and Sunday following the implementation of revised working patterns for city cleansing workers. The controversial four-days-on, four-days-off shifts will be adopted by cleansing workers from this weekend, resulting in 17,000 bins being emptied on Saturday and 16,000 on Sunday.

The revised shift rotas had already been imposed on a total of 1,200 parks and street cleaning workers employed by the council's land and environmental services' department; however, the latest phase of implementation will change the work lives of 600 refuse collection staff, who will now be deployed to collect household rubbish from 7am at weekends.

Workers affected by the revised rotas have told how their lives have been blighted by the introduction of the controversial shift patters, saying they have had to give up time spent on family commitments, part-time education and voluntary work, as they can no longer commit to regular schedules.

Council bosses say the move to new patterns of working for staff is aimed at saving money, improving services and securing jobs.

Jim McNally, executive spokesman for LES, said
"Glasgow is a modern city where a working week no longer necessarily means Monday to Friday, nine to five. There is now a demand for some of our services at different times and during weekends while others can simply be provided more efficiently that way. In doing so, we can improve the job we do for Glaswegians, make better use of their money and protect good quality in-house jobs."

Martin Doran, regional organiser of the GMB union, which represents the majority of refuse collection wokers, indicated that the union's members – although working professionally – are far from happy with the revised working conditions, adding that a future strike by binmen is possible:
"... [A] ballot for industrial action is still very much on the cards."

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Feb 2010, 10:08pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Last week we were notified of the change of days for our bins to be emptied.

The Blue recycling bin is to be emptied every Saturday. Up until now it was emptied once a month.

The Green bin with the usual household rubbish is changed from a Monday to a Wednesday.

The Brown bin to be emptied twice a month instead of once a month. No uplift for this bin in February or December.

We are also to be given a 4th bin, a Purple one for glass only.

I think we will have to get another shed to keep all those bins in.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*J Brown*
post 10th Feb 2010, 11:32pm
Post #3

Our green are always emptied tues morning, bins in our avenue are still full and await emptying. Changing from 5 march to fridays when both green will be emptied

I think for most families blue recylcing bins, once a fortnight would be ample. Because I live alone once a month is ample and once a fortnight is enough for my green bin.

I am a senior citizen who plays golf at knightswood golf course and all of the golf maintainance team whom I have spoken to, all of them just hate the new system 4 on 4 off. So there are lots of days when the golf staff are not at their work on the course but doing other jobs like emptying bins and other work, therefor the maintenance of the course is suffering.

yours Mr J Brown.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Feb 2010, 12:55am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Heather @ 10th Feb 2010, 10:49pm) *
Last week we were notified of the change of days for our bins to be emptied.

The Blue recycling bin is to be emptied every Saturday. Up until now it was emptied once a month.

The Green bin with the usual household rubbish is changed from a Monday to a Wednesday.

The Brown bin to be emptied twice a month instead of once a month. No uplift for this bin in February or December.

We are also to be given a 4th bin, a Purple one for glass only.

I think we will have to get another shed to keep all those bins in.

What? Different coloured glass in the same bin?
That's not on.
White, brown and green glass bins, please. tongue.gif ( at local collection points and not to be filled after 20,00 hrs. rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
*Cateferguson*
post 11th Feb 2010, 10:56am
Post #5

I think weekend bin collections are a great idea. I have often wondered why we don't have bins emptied at night as I have seen in Spain when the roads are quieter and the bin lorries don't cause traffic obstruction causing stress to all.

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 11th Feb 2010, 11:28am
Post #6

Half our street have not been told when the blue bins are being lifted. The address's are a complete blank on the council website!! Some other streets did not get leaflets and the leaflets we got did not even tell us when this starts. So everyone had bins out as usual for Tuesday.

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 11th Feb 2010, 11:51am
Post #7

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,122
This new scheme will NEVER work as the Cleansing Staff already have the Council but the short and curlies, when operating their 'selective' collections.
Just to review a few cases....
We have been suffering 'selective' collections for the last 6 months, this means that one side of the road gets their bins emptied whereas we do not, they call some 2 hours later.
If a wagon suddenly breaks down, it seems to be the one that should pick up our refuse.
During the summer the 'operatives' search the bags to ensure no one is 'planking' grass in their bins, so must have a lot of time to rummage around peoples garbage.
During the holiday periods, the Cleansing called at 7.30 and 8.05 to collect bins, some of us cannot put our bins out the night before, as foxes, cats, dogs and crows all attack the bags, so we were left with multiple bags lying around.
I haven't had a black bag for over 3 months, and when the men call on a windy day, some rubbish blows off the wagon and bins and is left all over the roads.
Now I receive 2 notices....both inform me that collections of domestic, recycled and brown bins will now....ALL TAKE PLACE ON A FRIDAY....some chance, with the previous record of service, I have no doubt that there will be MUCH OVERTIME payable to collect my refuse when I call and call and call to have my 'normal' service applied......NO CHANCE

+Quote Post
*Barry Robertson*
post 11th Feb 2010, 06:22pm
Post #8

When I first went on to a five day week, I thought how great it was to enjoy doing our own things at weekends, so I sympathise with the bin men under the new hours of work. I used to work a lot of overtime though and got pay for it. I assume that's what is stopping the bosses from considering this. If enforcing the new times is going to cause strikes, why not consider again?

We all recall the chaos that ensued when non-collected bags, boxes and other containers piled up on the streets with rats an birds getting at them.

Barry Robertson.

+Quote Post
*backcauseway*
post 11th Feb 2010, 09:11pm
Post #9

Its now after 8.30pm and our street has still not had the green wheelie bin lifted !!! There are three other local streets still with un-emptied bins. So in this area the new system is not working.

+Quote Post
George Brown
post 11th Feb 2010, 10:22pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 676
Although retired now, in my working life with a sizeable organisation, I experienced a similar change in the working week
This may have been of suitable benefit to the company, but not totally acceptable to the employees, although there was always someone willing to work 'odd hours'
For myself as a 'traditionalist' with family and religious obligations the option of two days off through the week when family were at work or school and the inability to attend church services
represented the constructive demolition of family life.
I must add that this working practice was found to be unworkable and eventually abandoned
Apart from all that, what about the populations' piece of mind.
Don't we have enough noise pollution today ?
personally I like to relish a Saturday and Sunday morning, I know that many people like a 'long lie in' after a working week I prefer to be up and about enjoying what tranquility there is,
I am sure that the last thing we all want is what precious little peace being shattered by bin lorries crews and the many more services that might jump on the 'band wagon'

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Feb 2010, 11:29pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Depending on what time our blue bins will be emptied on a Saturday, there is every chance the truck won't get along our Avenue as most people park their cars in the Avenue instead of in their driveways.
This has caused problems before in mid-week and the truck had to come back again later on in the day. So it remains to be seen how it works on a Saturday.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Feb 2010, 11:55pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
If the four day shift covered, say, Friday to Monday, would that mean that bins could be emptied on Sundays too?
Out here in Germany only essential services operate on Sundays (including filling stations and airports ... oh, and pubs, of course).
Sunday is still held Holy ... also by Atheists as it means one is not allowed to cut grass, wash cars or hammer away in one's cellar.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
wombat
post 12th Feb 2010, 12:37am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
dae the wheelie bins in glesga look the same as oor ozzie wans?and are they only allowed a cetain weight? me an a pal took the piss out o the pick up guy ,we filled it up wie concrete and broken brick's and were peepin oot the blindc when the lift for the bins strained tryin to lift it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
j.irvine bell
post 12th Feb 2010, 12:50am
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 7,615
unsure.gif

We received our notification of the changes last week in the form of a leaflet which detailed the dates for the uplift of the blue bin, changed from a Monday to a Thursday, and the green bin from a Wednesday to a Saturday. There was no notice given as to when the change to the collection of the green bin would start. Speaking to a friend about this he remarked that there was a full page advert in the Herald. I have read the Herald once or possibly twice a year in the last two decades! I no longer read newspapers as I can select what news items, articles etc. that I like from the internet. It is beyond me as to why, when the leaflets were produced, that they could not contain this basic and important information. A typical example of bad management. As far as working at the week-ends is concerned those of you who have read a previous post of mine re CHRISTmas, or my profile, will know that I am a Christian. It is therefore abhorent to me that anyone should be MADE to work on a day that they regard as holy, whether christian, muslim or jew. Many years ago I worked in Argyll and I recall a colleague who was a strict "wee free" who was excused working on the sabbath. No one complained as it was acceptable to all his colleagues. By the way the nature of the work meant that all days, even public holidays, were considered as normal working days. Whether or not the District Council workers are in any way religious or even ferverent athiest, agnostic or pagan. to ask them to work at weekends is ridiculous. Some people by the nature of their work, ie. emergency service workers, nurses, animal carers and others, are obliged to work over weekends but surely the very worthy binmen (or binperson) do not fall into that category. I certainly would not want their job and those who provide this service should receive our full support know matter what they decide to to regarding any industrial action. Yes I do remember the last time the binmen went on strike and I have no desire to seeing rats running around piles of uncollected rubbish ever again BUT the answer is in the councils hands. Excuses about Glasgow being a Modern City and somehow that translates to not working a normal Monday to Friday week, is a cop out of their responsibilities to their workers. I fail to see how removing domestic waste at weekends is somehow an improvement over weekdays. As far as their civic responsibilities to the citizens is concerned that only comes round as we approach election time. It seems that many of our councillors have handed over their duties to the grossly overpaid heads of departments and rubber stamp their ( the bean counters) proposals.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 12th Feb 2010, 04:49am
Post #15

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Well,not being a resident of Glasgow,(but Glasgow born and bred), I just want to say, your refuse collection seems rather complicated.
In my area of residence in New Brunswick, Canada, our method of garbage collection is divided between two bags...One Blue, for dry garbage,and one Green, for wet garbage. The blue bags are then delivered to what is called a solid waste Centre, where individuals actually pick at the dry garbage, from conveyor belts salvaging anything that is recyclable,therefore saving it from the landfill. Also,if one cares to do so,there are recyclable depots located throughout the area,where one can return,bottles,cans,cartons,newspapers and be paid for doing so...Of course,when we buy cans of juice,or pop,or bottled water,we pay a deposit on the container,which we get half back when returned...
It is a simple,livable,system,which does not involve finding storage place for all kinds of boxes etc.,

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.