Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St Columbas Primary School Maryhill, 1962 - 1969
glasgow lass
post 10th Sep 2009, 11:41pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
thanks for so many great photies, a see Curlers hasn't changed wan bit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 11th Sep 2009, 08:10am
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 10th Sep 2009, 02:55am) *
Back in 1944 I used to go to the Woodside Baths in the morning before I started work at R.S.McColls on North Woodside Rd.

What a co-incidence, perhaps you can help me. I was in Woodside Library last night and was asked to help find a pic of this McColl's on N Woodside Rd.
Can you tell where on N Woodside Rd RS McColl's was located? Was it a shop or an office, distribution centre or what?
Morag, colour snaps are rare from the '50s and '60s but seeing as it's you....

Le durachd,
Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Venus
post 11th Sep 2009, 12:15pm
Post #18

Resident
Member No.: 6,952
Another two fine photographs of Napiershall Street and Henderson Street.Can I venture to say I think taken in early 70s.The top picture spells out the end for the tenement above the pub as the windows look broken and the houses are generally neglected looking.The second picture showing down towards North Woodside Road and on to Great Western Road and the buildings look in fine shape.I note the pawn shop bells on the corner.
Its just incredible the changes that have occurred over the passing years.
I dont know where you are digging the pics up but keep them coming.Cheers.

+Quote Post
Venus
post 11th Sep 2009, 12:35pm
Post #19

Resident
A view south looking down Maryhill Road and Garscube Road.Maryhill Road survived slightly longer that Garscube Road.This was taken in the 80s (judging by the registration plate on the yellow car) by myself.Comments welcome.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 11th Sep 2009, 01:58pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
the wee yellow car is a ford fiesta mark1 and who said wummnin know nout about cars laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Venus
post 11th Sep 2009, 02:06pm
Post #21

Resident
Last time I was in Hinchley Wood all the toffs were driving them.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 11th Sep 2009, 03:43pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
R.S. McColls, on North Woodside Rd. just before you come to St. Georges Rd., it was a chocolate factory, they also made boilings etc. we used to load our vans at the Despatch on Myrtle St. the factory was right next to Sternes Refrigeration Engineering

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 11th Sep 2009, 03:48pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Venus @ 11th Sep 2009, 01:35pm) *
A view south looking down Maryhill Road and Garscube Road.Maryhill Road survived slightly longer that Garscube Road.This was taken in the 80s (judging by the registration plate on the yellow car) by myself.Comments welcome.

My Pal and I used to play snooker in the snooker hall above the pub

+Quote Post
Venus
post 11th Sep 2009, 04:44pm
Post #24

Resident
Very interesting comment about the snooker club from Agnes and Robert.I only remember it as being the hall where the ladies of the area,including my granny,Mrs Grieve played whist,50s/60s.Then it became a sort of golf shop,I think.Maybe you can let us know when the snooker was on the go.Cheers.

+Quote Post
Venus
post 11th Sep 2009, 04:45pm
Post #25

Resident
I think my late uncle,Arthur Grieve from Hinshaw Street worked in McColls 50s/60s.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 11th Sep 2009, 09:52pm
Post #26

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 11th Sep 2009, 04:43pm) *
R.S. McColls, on North Woodside Rd. just before you come to St. Georges Rd., it was a chocolate factory, they also made boilings etc. we used to load our vans at the Despatch on Myrtle St. the factory was right next to Sternes Refrigeration Engineering

Thanks Agnes and Robert. Is this it or as near as we're likely to get? It's N Woodside Rd just at St George's Rd; you can see the Cedar St flats under construction. The OS map from 1950 shows the location of the "confectionary works" clearly.
I've added one of the Queen's Cross Vaults from 1960 - note the Billiards sign. Would people have said billiards rather than snooker? Like most/all other crosses in Glasgow there was a gents toilet, a police box, a public phone and a pub. With Firhill just two minutes away, what else could you need?

Le durachd,
Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 11th Sep 2009, 10:40pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Yes Dimairt, that was R.S.McColls, I'm surprised to see it still standing, yes there used to be a gents toiletat Garscube & Maryhill Rds. and we called it the snooker hall gee Dimairt you bring back a lot of memories when I was a vanboy with R.S. McColls that was back in 1944 & 45, I can always remember the little bakery at the corner of Georges Rd. and North Woodside Rd. after all those years Ican stil taste them.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 11th Sep 2009, 10:46pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Venus @ 11th Sep 2009, 05:44pm) *
Very interesting comment about the snooker club from Agnes and Robert.I only remember it as being the hall where the ladies of the area,including my granny,Mrs Grieve played whist,50s/60s.Then it became a sort of golf shop,I think.Maybe you can let us know when the snooker was on the go.Cheers.
We played snooker there in the 1940s then we switched to Johnny Mays

+Quote Post
jockh
post 12th Sep 2009, 05:35am
Post #29

Settling In
Member No.: 7,112
Great photo of Queens Cross Dimairt. I note the two 'smooth' tracks on the uphill side of Maryhill Rd. As I recall these tracks were provided to make it easier on the horses pulling their loads up the cobblestone hilll.
At around that time I was a helper on a (motorized) Dunlop lorry delivering butter, margarine, soap powder etc. etc. in Maryhill and surrounding areas.
Also played snooker at a billiards hall across from the Seamore cinema but can't remember the name right now.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 12th Sep 2009, 07:46am
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
"Yes Dimairt, that was R.S.McColls, I'm surprised to see it still standing"
It's long gone , the snap was taken in the early 1960s and that part of N Woodside Rd has modern flats, some ten years old now. Thanks for keeping me right on the snooker/billiards point.

"note the two 'smooth' tracks on the uphill side of Maryhill Rd. As I recall these tracks were provided to make it easier on the horses pulling their loads up the cobblestone hill."

They're called setts and there are still examples in this area: at the top of Hopehill Rd; at Baird's Brae and on N Woodside Rd leading down to the subway. The thumbnail pic attached is of Hopehill Rd.
For those of you abroad, it's a glorious day here (again).

Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Dec 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.