Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing Glasgow Pubs, How many can you remember?
Riddrieperson
post 8th Jun 2004, 06:26am
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
I was talking with somebody the other day about how many pubs there are in Glasgow.I know at one time there used to be close to 850.A pub on almost every corner you might say,always with a chip shop and a bookies right next door.I believe there are only about 600 left now,what with re-development and other causes of closure.How many of you have favourite pubs you remember that are no longer there,or that have changed out of all recognition.A few that spring to mind for me are, Bar 82,The Lorne Bar, Jack o`Diamonds,Granny Blacks,The Mecca,The Monaco,Speakers Corner,Saints and Sinners,and The Kendal

--------------------
Kenny :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 8th Jun 2004, 08:41am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Hi Riddrieperson

One of my favourities was McNees on Pollokshaws Road, just off Victoria Road. Used to get some great singers in there on a Saturday afternoon after the Plaza punters came out.

Queen's Park Cafe on Victoria Road.

The Pandora on Victoria Road, now called something else?

The International on Aikenhead Road.

Also the Square Peg in St. Enoch Square, it's now called Times Square and has changed dramatically since the days I used to frequent it.

I think the Lorne Bar is now called Big Tams? One of the Glesga folks will put us right there.

Sloanes in Argyle Arcade, Argyle Street, which hasn't changed a bit.

Hoops in Pollokshaws Road near Craigie Street, now called something else.

Obviously, not all during the one night wink.gif

Good topic Riddrieperson, got my wee brain tickin' oe'er. I'm sure I'll be back with some more.

Cheers - Teeny

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 8th Jun 2004, 07:10pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
McNees is still there,but called something else,I think.

The Lorne Bar is called Fat Boab`s Alehouse

I think the Queens Park Cafe is still there.It was Mark McManus` local.(He played Taggart)

the International is still the same.

Pandora and Sloans I don`t know about.I will certainly enjoy doing research on this subject.

Chambers at George Suare was called Queens for a while and then it reverted to Chambers but is now The Edge.For some reason the D in the title is reversed.I believe it is named after a member of the rock band U2.

Berlins bar at George Square became Sadie Frosts(a lesbian/gay bar :-) ,now it is the Europa.

the Hogs Head just along from the Europa is now called the Pheonix and is Glasgow`s first official non -smoking bar.i will do more research on Saturdayafternoon when i go out drinking with my brothers rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
*Guest Kas **
post 25th Sep 2008, 11:04am
Post #4

Where did the Mally go from Eglington Street

+Quote Post
stratson
post 25th Sep 2008, 06:30pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
As far as I am aware the" International " (Aitkenhead Rd) and "The Penny Farthing" in Cathcart Rd(Govanhill) are closed due to owners going into liquidation.

McNee's was burnt down(Eglinton Toll) a few years ago. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*d.barber*
post 25th Sep 2008, 08:16pm
Post #6

The Mally was still standing in 2000 but dont know if it was in operation.I had 5 brothers so when I was youmng I knew of The Speak Easy,The Seaforth Bar(Crown St.?)and The Sou.Westerner?When I came of age I was in The Coronna,The Swan Inn and The Office was my local pub just around from the Cumberland Bar.
Dee Bee. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Apr 2009, 08:32am
Post #7

Interesting topic - I used to work part-time in pubs to supplement meagre apprentice wage that started off at 2 : 18 : 4d / week (1958) and was just wondering recently how many still survived.

'Divertie' in Paisley's New Street, still there and now the 'Imperial Bar'. Real dump - sorry.

'Wellington Tavern', Argyll Street, Glasgow, still there but has been closed for many years.

The 'Moy Bar', Cumberland St./Florence St., Gorbals, Glasgow. Long gone with redevelopment.

The 'Auld Hoose', near Castle Street and Royal Infirmary Hospital, Glasgow. Long gone.

'Kelvin Bar', off Maryhill Road, Glasgow. (North Woodside Road, I think?) Long gone.

The 'Walk Inn', North Street, at the corner with St. Vincent St. Long gone (for the Motorway).

The Apprentice!

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Apr 2009, 01:21am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
try.... Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 6th Apr 2009, 05:31am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Crikey I recal Springburn itself was a mass of pubs on every 2nd or 3rd doorstep all the way doon tae the toon incredible how many have gaun away nooadays yer luck tae huv but a few still gaun in Springburn.Bauldy baynes frae springburn rds gaun as is maist of the pubs of springburn think theres just Thomsons doon under the auld dentists facing the shopping centre still there these days.shame realy there was always plenty places tae pop intae but then the population doesn't warrent nor merritt the necessity for so many pubs nooadays.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Lil
post 6th Apr 2009, 05:26pm
Post #10

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,470
The International has re-opened and i think under new management but deffo opened.

--------------------
Awanbileyerheid

+Quote Post
Lil
post 6th Apr 2009, 05:37pm
Post #11

Special Visitor
There was also The Wee Mill (shut down) in Oatlands and The Phoenix (shut down) in the Gorbals along with Sharkeys (still open) The Elizabethan, (shut down) The Queens, (shut down).

The Myre bar burned down last year.

--------------------
Awanbileyerheid

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 6th Apr 2009, 06:51pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
What about the Griffin in Garscube Road ? it was really nothing but a wine shop and a den of iniquity ,but people loved it in the locality .
At least the boozers in Garscube Road loved it .
I DIDNT.

big tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
stratson
post 6th Apr 2009, 07:17pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Lil @ 6th Apr 2009, 06:55pm) *
The International has re-opened and i think under new management but deffo opened.

The Penny Farthing is also reopened. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Lil
post 6th Apr 2009, 07:30pm
Post #14

Special Visitor
The Blarney Stone, The Corner Bar, Govanhill Bar .............
The Brazen Head ued to be the Granite with the dancing above called Durty Nelly's.

--------------------
Awanbileyerheid

+Quote Post
**Ally**
post 18th Jul 2010, 01:42pm
Post #15

The Old Eagle Inn behind Lewis's?

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.