Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robroyston Wallace Monument 2009, How far is this vandalism going to go?
GG
post 3rd Jan 2009, 02:58pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Time and time again during the creation of numerous housing developments surrounding the Wallace Monument in Robroyston the public was told that the new investments would breath life into the area. Developments by Bellway, Bett, Bryant, Redrow and Wimpey, and most recently Cala and Stewart Milne, were designed, so it was announced in the press advertorials that accompanied each new estate, to create an upmarket residential environment that would benefit the entire area. Frequently mentioned was the prospect of a multi-million pound visitor centre to focus on the important historical role the area played in the history of Scotland; respect for - and protection of - the Robroyston Wallace Monument was always apparently high on everyone's agenda.

In 2009 here is the reality: litter, vandalism, destruction, graffiti!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

At Wallace's Well, the damage reported previously has since been repaired, but has now been replaced by further damage to the surrounding wall:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Website about the Robroyston Wallace Monument to follow shortly...

See also previous stories on the monument:

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
murn
post 3rd Jan 2009, 04:32pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
Can't yee jist see all the visitors from around the world coming to see this famous monument and what they see is old tires and graffiti. The least they could do is hire a couple of unemployed to clean and look after it, come on show it the respect it deserves. Leave it any longer and there wont be a monument.

+Quote Post
*Guest Tony **
post 3rd Jan 2009, 04:42pm
Post #3

I am a local resident who has with his two children done a litter sweep all round this area earlier in the year organised by Robroyston Community Council. We spent 2 to 3 hours and collected a mound. Today we walked round the monument and saw the damage you picture and yet more litter. It is sad to see and the neglect of an historic site is a real shame. The layby is actually a magnet for those who stop at night or lunchtime and then chuck out their fast food cartons. The city authorities should not be proud of the state of the monument. Maybe we can get the Community Council to organise another litter sweep in the spring and nudge someone to begin to sort it.. The developers are not very helpful as we live on the local estate and they ignore other problems or pass the buck, Cala to Stewart Milne and back again.

I'm an Englishman and I feel strongly that history should not and cannot be ignored or forgotten, be it Scottish or not !!!!. Any ideas as to where we can put pressure on.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 4th Jan 2009, 05:59am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
how about the Herald and Evening times oh, and the Record. The council do nothing about it.

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Jan 2009, 09:24pm
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Guest Tony * @ 3rd Jan 2009, 04:41pm) *
I am a local resident who has with his two children done a litter sweep all round this area earlier in the year organised by Robroyston Community Council. We spent 2 to 3 hours and collected a mound. Today we walked round the monument and saw the damage you picture and yet more litter. It is sad to see and the neglect of an historic site is a real shame. The layby is actually a magnet for those who stop at night or lunchtime and then chuck out their fast food cartons. The city authorities should not be proud of the state of the monument. Maybe we can get the Community Council to organise another litter sweep in the spring and nudge someone to begin to sort it.. The developers are not very helpful as we live on the local estate and they ignore other problems or pass the buck, Cala to Stewart Milne and back again.

I'm an Englishman and I feel strongly that history should not and cannot be ignored or forgotten, be it Scottish or not !!!!. Any ideas as to where we can put pressure on.

Hi Tony, great to read that you've been active helping get rid the place of the rubbish - I do my small bit when I go, but couldn't possibly move dumped tyres and discarded hoovers. Glad also you were able to confirm the state of the monument and surrounding area.

I agree that the layby is actually more of a hindrance than a help at this stage, but it is a good example of how major, strategic changes have to take place, not just silly concessions built in to plans by developers who have made - and continue to make - millions from the site. I've been busy researching the timeline of events affecting the site over the last ten years, and hopefully the forthcoming website will focus a few minds!

I agree totally that our nationality should not come into the equation; to me this issue is about respect for the past, for a man who was very much an important figure in medieval 'British' history (descended from the Welsh, national hero of Scotland, and whose actions changed the course of English history), it is also about sustainable, responsible development of precious green belt land.

On a more positive note though it is about nurturing and building a major tourist attraction which pays tribute both to Wallace himself, and to the events that took place on that fateful night on the 5th August 1305; Glasgow has very few sites of true national historical significance, this one cannot be allowed to be neglected any longer.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Jan 2009, 09:48pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Murn, your words "Leave it any longer and there wont be a monument", couldn't be more accurate, unfortunately we are probably talking about one year maximum now before that does in fact happen.

Tamhickey, thanks for your suggestions, however my opinions about the current agenda of the Herald and Evening Times are on record on this site, unfortunately I do not necessarily think either will act very differently in this matter - housing developers are major advertisers, weak editors do not generally like to upset major advertisers.

While Glasgow City Council can be congratulated for improvements it has made to other Glasgow tourist sites, it has unfortunately allowed the neglect and decay of the Robroyston site to continue unabated over many years; it supported the removal of the Historic Scotland B-listing for Wallace's Well; it effectively ignored numerous pleas from various parties far more knowledgeable than myself that something needed to be done to protect the site as a matter of urgency; the council-run city tourist board ignores that the Robroyston Wallace Monument even exists, or that the site is of any significance.

I think you're on the right lines though tam, IMO if the council is not willing to act in defence of the Robroyston site, then the matter now has to be taken outside of Glasgow in order for progress to take place.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
murn
post 4th Jan 2009, 11:55pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
I think you're on the right lines though tam, IMO if the council is not willing to act in defence of the Robroyston site, then the matter now has to be taken outside of Glasgow in order for progress to take place.

Is the an address, or even better email, of the council responsible, that we could let our feelings known about this injustice. I thought that this sight would have been listed but have just read this.

Wallace's Well was listed in 1970, but Historic Scotland removed the site from a list of protected properties in March 1993. By 2003 it was considered to be under threat from nearby housing developments.

Looks to me like big money wins over history once again.

+Quote Post
dco37922
post 5th Jan 2009, 06:35am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,362
Hello Jummy,
Our family lived in Robroyston up until 1948 when we moved to Aus. We often played in the Bing and "Wallaces Glen". Not sure if these are true names or our nic names, but Wallaces Well sometimes nearly took our lives as we tried to get farthings from the bottom. There was a huge tree that we called Wallace's Tree that had a cavity near the base which my older brother would say was full of Wallace's blood - just water and sap I suppose. I didn't even ken there was a monument. I hope your efforts to save the locale is successful.
Lang may your lum reek.
Doug Comrie

+Quote Post
murn
post 7th Jan 2009, 03:58am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
perhaps a wee note tae Sir Sean huh.gif and the rest of the 'homecoming' gang.

"I don’t know if you can see.
the changes that have come over me" mad.gif

+Quote Post
angel
post 7th Jan 2009, 04:15am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
did you get taller, Murn... biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
murn
post 7th Jan 2009, 04:33am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
naw a keep telling you lot am shrinking, well doon the way huh.gif ah think its the air pressure pretty soon I'll be flat as a pancake.

uff am gonny get the duster if a don't shut up, which is whit these councilors in charge of this monument need, hows that for getting back on subject laugh.gif

+Quote Post
angel
post 7th Jan 2009, 04:35am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
genius

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*JACQUELINE MORRISON*
post 9th Feb 2009, 10:30am
Post #13

I am so disgusted the way that william wallace monument in glasgow is left ,the wall is destroyed ,the litter and the glass that was smashed at the monument. I cleaned up what I could I am so angry that no one is bothered to take action.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 9th Feb 2009, 03:09pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Have a niece who owns a house on Glendale Estate in Robroyston.

She has never mentioned William Wallace Monument to me., she's the type of young woman who would organize a clean up of same.

Must discuss this when I next speak to her.. She has only lived there past 2 years. She has a beautiful home.

Am not familiar with this end of the city, am a Southsider. Seems a dreadful insult to a famous man, rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
murn
post 11th Feb 2009, 02:06pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
I was just reading the thread about the 1811 census. On there is an address to write to MP, does anyone know the postal code of the area so we can write to the appropriate MP, surely if enough Scots from home and around the world write they will listen or at least it might get some more public awareness. I still think we should write to the 'Sir' Connery (or does he only care about Edinburgh) and The Homecoming crowd huh.gif I tried to find an address but without success

www.writetothem.com

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.