Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

36 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Get The Belt At School?, How many, what for and did it work?
GG
post 14th Dec 2008, 07:58pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The admission last week to Alan Sugar by the PM, Gordon Brown, that he was belted in school for wanting to skip class to watch a Scotland match on TV has caused much reflection in the local media, mostly by former pupils with strongly-held views on the negative effects of being belted as a child at school.

Readers told how they lived in fear of the belt after having had the punishment meted out to them for 'offences' such as, forgetting a jotter, wanting to go home, not knowing the answer to a science question, being late, and being tickled in line.

For the last 'offence' one reader told how, in 1936 at the age of only four and three-quarters, she was pulled out of the single-line for the 'baby class', "marched upstairs to his office and belted severely. Because I was so small, my hand swelled up badly and the strap had gone right up my arm, which was red and swollen".

Mary, the reader, added:
How I got through that day, I will never know. My mother and father were extremely upset, but what could they do? Nothing. I was a well-loved only child, and well-behaved. That day, for the first time in my life, I knew fear.

I never forgot that day, and it affected the way I felt about school. The memory of the fear has never left me. I have mixed feelings about corporal punishment. What happened to me was unforgivable, but I think things have gone too much the other way and pupils are getting away with bad behaviour. What to do about this is the problem.
advertisement

Did you ever get belted at school? If so, what for, how many times, and do you think it did you good or not?

Found the following on the web: a sample of official regulations for the use of the belt in Scottish schools:
  1. The punishment should be inflicted in front of other pupils in order to act a deterrent.
  2. The pupil should be called to the front of the class and told to hold out one hand, palm uppermost, and supported by the other hand. This makes it more difficult for the boy to move his hand away during the infliction of the cuts.
  3. If the teacher is inexperienced he should hold the belt midway along the handle to give better control. Otherwise, the belt should be held towards the end to maximise its swing.
  4. Prior to each stroke the tails should be rested lengthways on the pupil's upturned palm. This allows the teacher to judge the stroke.
  5. The belt should be drawn back over the teacher's shoulder and brought down on to the pupil's palm with some force, so that the tails strike the fingers and palm.
  6. If more than one stroke is to be given, the pupil should be briskly ordered to 'swap hands!'. When the pupil offers his other palm the second stroke should be given, once again with force, and this process should be repeated until the allotted punishment has been completed.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 14th Dec 2008, 08:16pm
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
I remember getting the belt several times at St Bridget's Primary School, Baillieston from Mr Gemson in Primary 5 and several times again in Primary 6 from Mrs Leonard. I think the belt was banned when I entered Primary 7 in the early 1980s. Lucky me.

I work as a senior secondary school Maths and Statistics teacher in Botswana where corporal punishment is still allowed. I do use it occasionally and it is very effective.

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 14th Dec 2008, 08:18pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
I was told by our headmaster at Colston school back in the 50s that I held the record for the most belt given to any student in that school---Chronic truant,I had a card to be initialled by every teacher in every period--even had to go to court,and ended up being held back for another year.---funnily enough this never affected my future career---I guess I learned all I had to at Wellfield nursery school,ha ha.---whats the old saying"send me the boy at three and I'll send you back the man at seven"

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 14th Dec 2008, 08:28pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Paul Kelly @ 14th Dec 2008, 12:58pm) *
I remember getting the belt several times at St Bridget's Primary, Baillieston from Mr Gemson in Primary 5 and several times again in Primary 6 from Mrs Leonard. I think the belt was banned when I entered Primary 7 in the early 1980s. Lucky me.

I work as a Maths teacher in Botswana where corporal punishment is still allowed. I do use it occasionally and it is very effective.
Paul as much as I love your posts,I have to disagree on the belt issue--how can one face a small child looking up at you at an age where his body and brain is not yet fully grown,and about to be pysically punished,if he gets this from you then probably gets the same at home,then I can equate this child with my upbringing--this is said with respect to your position and education.

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 14th Dec 2008, 08:55pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
If I wasn't a teacher I would probably agree with you Wellfield.

However, having taught teenagers for 14 years now (1 year in Glasgow and 13 years in Botswana), I think corporal punishment has its place. The problem is that corporal punishment is sometimes abused by teachers. It should be the job of the school head and senior management to make sure it is not abused.

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Dec 2008, 08:57pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Paul be it so that you only use the belt occasionally its still too many times for my liking.
Have you any idea what this dose to a person >>>> get'yir heed right man and try another way of disaplining your students cool.gif

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 14th Dec 2008, 09:01pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Yes I can remember getting the belt on a couple of occasions. Don't think it did me any harm.
I don't think it should be allowed in primary classes,however I believe it would do some of the older kids a lot of good. They seem to go through their lives now thinking that they should never be punished for anything. Don't make for a good society.Just my opinion folks

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Dec 2008, 09:05pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
why did I get the belt on occasion at school,,, because the teacher was bigger than me. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Dec 2008, 09:20pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I only had the belt a few times in Primary School.
In Secondary School it was mostly Lines we got and I never got them much either.

My abiding memory was as a 7yrs old getting slapped vey hard across my face by a Teacher, and never ever knew what I had done wrong.

We were standing in line waiting for the bell to ring at 3'0'clock and the Teacher told the class to sit down and told me to stand up, she then came over to me and slapped me as hard as she could with the result her hand mark was still on my face when I got home.
Usually if we got in trouble at School with Teachers my parents sided with them, but not on that occasion. Mum went to see the Teacher the next day but could get no explanation as to why she had hit me. I don't know what mum said to her, but she never hit me again.

I think there are times when the belt should be used but only in extreme cases, but never in a Primary School.

Our son went to a Private School and there was no Corporal punishment, they got what was called ' sides'. It was a slip of paper with a saying/motto on it. There was about seven lines that had to be filled in with the saying and in best handwriting. That was called a ' side' and each side had a different saying.
It was considered a handwriting exercise.

Paul, my g'children all go to St. Bridget's,( we live in St. Bridget's Parish ) the girls love school, but the g'son now in 6th yr at St. Ambrose, Coatbridge has never liked school.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
TB40
post 14th Dec 2008, 09:30pm
Post #10

Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,083
I think some of the teachers in the 40's and 50's were to say the least a bit challenged in the mental department. My introduction to secondary school was to be belted by a teacher who had the same surname as me. This was to show there would be no favouritism in his class.What kind of attitude was that toward children who were there to be educated by supposedly leaned adults ?

--------------------
MARYHILL

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 14th Dec 2008, 11:43pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
miss dolan gave me the belt before 9am for not having a pencil my da sharpened a half a pencil and said if you ever strap my daughter before school time a will ram that belt where the sun dont shine or words to that effect then a mr mcgregor used to grit his teeth and throw the duster then strap you then mr chalmers used to play spelling roulette if you got it wrong he would strap you a think he was sadomhasichistic and that was in primary school. a was so nervious a wet myself on more than 1 occasion and mrs duffy at st margaret mary;s she used to hit us then it would whack her in the leg noo thats justice me thinks but that is why a hated spelling a think through fear

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Dec 2008, 01:53am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I just wanted to say that its about time this sort of abuse is brought to the surface and that some of the abused students feel some sense of validation,,,how much will it cost the tax payers and their children mellow.gif there are some things in life that we just cant put a price on.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 15th Dec 2008, 05:14am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
sad.gif I regularly got the belt both in high school as well as primary school & always for talking or being late to class[I never felt these were belting offences so always felt unfairly treated plus I copped many a belting by a few teachers mistaking my identity].I sometimes even got the belt when others were talking as the teachers always said the listener is the encourager of the talker so yeah Ive had many a hard time with teachers & the dreadful belt.Some were Black or Brown, thin & some were thick two prong three prongs etc .

After reading the belt rules I don't think I ever met a single teacher that utelised the exact rules when belting me ,I regularly got the belt on the same hand & my hands were always side by side as though one were about to cup ones hands, it was a fierce & very brutal way to recieve the belt as both hands would feel the licks of the prongs at the end underneath their hand/hands or on the wrist & arm too so No I don't believe the belt is a good idea as the pain in ones mind lasts a lifetime no matter what I don't think the lessons need to be a life time in nature.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Elma
post 15th Dec 2008, 06:01am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,650
I remember getting the strap a few times, but can't remember why or from whom. I can't say it has made any difference in my life, it happened and was forgotten. I enjoyed my school and the happy memories of my schooldays have been with me all my life.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 15th Dec 2008, 06:30am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Only ever got the belt twice and was mortified .Once for not understaning how to do algebra and once for not having my book closed.Both times very unjust sad.gif
I would like to go back to school now knowing what I know and just DARE them to hit me wink.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.