Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dalbeth Cemetery
ritchiec
post 18th Aug 2008, 03:49pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,957
Hi folks, I was up at Dalbeth last October on the hunt for buried rellies (well what else would you be doing in a graveyard). I found some of them in the St Peters part but was absolutely horrified when I was told that some were in `Old Dalbeth`. After much scrabbling around my wife and I eventually got in and were disgusted with the state of the place. Unfortunately we did not find any headstones of my rellies. I have been in touch with the Archdiocese to find out what there plans are but as yet I have had no answer. Anybody else in the same boat??
Let me know your thoughts on this.
Cheers Ritchie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 18th Aug 2008, 05:18pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
My father was cremated and his ashes are scattered there in the garden of remembrance. After we saw the state of the place plus Lambhill where I have family we decide no more burials..

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Heather
post 18th Aug 2008, 05:42pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I was in Dalbeth four months ago at a funeral and the cemetary did look quite shabby.
I don't blame anyone for being annoyed at the state of the place, especially when they have relations buried there.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*tinapaul*
post 2nd Sep 2008, 10:32pm
Post #4

Hi

My mother in law, husband grandparents etc and friends family are buried in St Peter's (Dalbeth). This is also where my husband wishes to be burried.

For a couple of years now we have been visiting the cemetry and I would have to agree the old section which you can get through the gaps in the wall is a disgrace and something should be done in that section to bring it back to a reasonable condition.

The new section seems to be well kept and people who visit their family do keep it clean and tidy.

Tina

+Quote Post
*Tinapaul*
post 3rd Sep 2008, 09:48pm
Post #5

Hi All

Visted St Peter's today as have'nt been for a couple of months and noticed that the old Dalbeth section has had some work done to it.

The outer walls have been repaired and you can now see the top of headstones over the wall as a lot of the overgrown shubbery has been removed.

Did not get the chance to look through and see the full extent of the tidy up, but it certainly looks a lot bettter.

Tina

+Quote Post
stratson
post 30th Sep 2008, 08:57pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Four generations of my family are buried in St. Peter's Dalbeth Cemetery. It is very well cared for, I cannot comment on all of the Cemetery, I never go any further than the family plots.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
eileen steele 55
post 9th Nov 2008, 01:11pm
Post #7

Settling In
Member No.: 5,145
my mum and are buired in the dalbethcemetery as well my dad in 1981 and my mother 1999. i think myself the place is not very pretty

+Quote Post
*karenkozak*
post 9th Feb 2010, 05:59pm
Post #8

I've been reading about everyone going to Dalbeth cemetery and was wondering if someone is there in the future if they can have a look for my ancestors, John Begly is buried in Dalbeth, likely the old part since he died mid 1850's now I'm not sure if there would even be a stone?? and also his wife Isabella Mcarthur and his sone Archibald Begley,they both died the same year mid 1860's, not sure if Archibald would even be there?? thanks for any help that is offered.
karenkozak@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 12th Mar 2010, 05:05am
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
Seems to be there are three separate parts to Dalbeth, the big main part that can be seen from London Rd, then what is called the new part where the Polish graveyard is, next to the old now sadly gone, Good Shepherd home.
Then there,s seems to be a part behind that again thats walled off and was closed years ago.
Notice a bit of work was done recently there cutting down the trees and such like.
Always wondered, was the old closed part with the big wall round it part of Dalbeth, seems a lot older ?
Seems more of a old Tollcross local graveyard than a city wide cemetery.

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 12th Mar 2010, 05:12am
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
QUOTE (karenkozak @ 9th Feb 2010, 05:59pm) *
I've been reading about everyone going to Dalbeth cemetery and was wondering if someone is there in the future if they can have a look for my ancestors, John Begly is buried in Dalbeth, likely the old part since he died mid 1850's now I'm not sure if there would even be a stone?? and also his wife Isabella Mcarthur and his sone Archibald Begley,they both died the same year mid 1860's, not sure if Archibald would even be there?? thanks for any help that is offered.
karenkozak@hotmail.com

Best bet is try and get hold of the plot number from the graveyard owners.
Its a massive graveyard but the plot number would make it a lot easier.

+Quote Post
*michael lavery*
post 25th Apr 2010, 04:04pm
Post #11

QUOTE (karenkozak @ 9th Feb 2010, 05:59pm) *
karenkozak@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
**carol**
post 18th Aug 2010, 02:58pm
Post #12

QUOTE (North Canalbank St @ 12th Mar 2010, 06:05am) *
Best bet is try and get hold of the plot number from the graveyard owners.
Its a massive graveyard but the plot number would make it a lot easier.

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow holds the information re. lairs at St Peters.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 27th Oct 2010, 06:42pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 9,116
Part of Dalbeth is being demolished just now.. I was there a month ago taking photos for a lady in England who couldnt manage to get here, but she knew the lair no.. even though no stone, but the kind council workers lead me to the spot and stood on the place where her ancestors are buried.. Its sad if your grave is one of the ones being dug up just now... Ill look for the photos just now..

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 27th Oct 2010, 06:48pm
Post #14

Super Resident

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 27th Oct 2010, 06:55pm
Post #15

Super Resident

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Dec 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.