Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cadder Mines And Mavis Valley
jimad
post 13th Jul 2008, 09:10am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 5,859
Just come across this site and see this was a hot topic a few years ago.
My GGG grand father Michael Dunn worked as an Ironstone Miner in the Cadder Pits around 1861 where he lived at Moss Cottages. He then moved to Lochfauld Cottages as the 1871 census shows.
Does anyone know the location of these buildings, which I assume are long gone ?
I am also interested in the location of Kenmure Row where my GG grandfather lived.

Thanks,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Jul 2008, 04:49pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jimad I have relations who used to live in Cadder, but moved a long time ago.

But here is some information about the Cadder Pits.

Emotional scenes at the funeral of twenty-two miners who lost their lives in Cadder No 15 Pit as the result of a fire that broke out on 3 August 1913. Most of the victims lived locally. This postcard view shows the funeral procession crossing the Forth and Clyde Canal at Lambhill Bridge on Balmore Road on its way to Lambhill Cemetery. The church on the left is St Agnes' Church.

Twenty-six men were finishing the "back shift" they had started on Sunday afternoon when the fire broke out. Fireman Charles Riley died attempting to warn the miners. Three men escaped by another passage and one, Michael McDonald, was found alive after 21 hours in the burning pit.

The mine belonged to the Carron Co of Falkirk. The Lanarkshire Coalmasters' Association was criticised for its failure to organise rescue brigades. A memorial stone was erected to those who perished.

Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 4226

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jimad
post 13th Jul 2008, 05:03pm
Post #3

Settling In
Thanks Heather, my great grandfather John Dunn lived in Drummond St. in 1913 (what is now Strachur St. beside the Inn pub). At that time I think he was still a miner, so he may have been working in the same Pit.
I have seen the postcard image of the funeral procession over the Lambhill bridge.
Thanks for the info.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 14th Jul 2008, 09:50am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
My father's family moved to the area in 1921 from Cumbernauld,, they lived in Jellyhill. When he married my mother they moved to the "Big Pit" known as Woodside Terrace, a quarter mile from Mavis Valley. I believe it was near the remains of the Cadder pit that suffered the accident but was not in use by then.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Java
post 14th Jul 2008, 12:38pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
I have a book which I believe is still available - Lanarkshire's Mining Legacy, by Guthrie Hutton. It's full of information and loads of cracking pictures showing the mines, cottages and so on, definately worth looking out for.

There's also a brilliant website which you may already know about, again, full of information on accidents, wages, living conditions etc.

Scottish Mining

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
RonD
post 14th Jul 2008, 10:35pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Great stuff Java:

http://www.mining-villages.co.uk/373.html

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
jimad
post 15th Jul 2008, 12:22pm
Post #7

Settling In
Thanks Guys !

+Quote Post
jimad
post 16th Jul 2008, 06:51pm
Post #8

Settling In
Found what I think are Moss Cottages on RonD's map of 1898.
The print is a wee bit difficult to make out even when you zoom in, but it looks like they are up past Jellyhill on Kirkintilloch Rd ?. Perhaps RonD can confirm ?
If they are, My GGG grandfather had a long walk to his work at the Pits.... unless he had a company pony !

Managed to locate Lochfauld cottages and Kenmure Row on the Maryhill map of 1896 ( on the back there is a section showing Possil Loch and the Lambhill area).
Lochfauld cottages are where Lochfauld farm (funny that) and the ' Old Shangie School' was (Thanks ARCAJO), running along the towpath towards Bishopbriggs, and Kenmure Row was across the canal about 50 yards to the right going towards Lambhill.

The quest continues !

+Quote Post
RonD
post 16th Jul 2008, 10:41pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
When I was in Scotland this summer, I saw more of the F & C canal. We had more than one meal at the Stables, a restaurant right on the canal on the road between Bishopbriggs and Kirkintilloch. It was the stables where the barge horses used to rest after pulling the barges along the towpath. Later we were mesmorized by the Falkirk wheel what a feat fo engineering.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 30th Jul 2008, 07:17am
Post #10

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
QUOTE (jimad @ 16th Jul 2008, 08:08 PM) *
Found what I think are Moss Cottages on RonD's map of 1898.
The print is a wee bit difficult to make out even when you zoom in, but it looks like they are up past Jellyhill on Kirkintilloch Rd ?. Perhaps RonD can confirm ?
If they are, My GGG grandfather had a long walk to his work at the Pits.... unless he had a company pony !

Managed to locate Lochfauld cottages and Kenmure Row on the Maryhill map of 1896 ( on the back there is a section showing Possil Loch and the Lambhill area).
Lochfauld cottages are where Lochfauld farm (funny that) and the ' Old Shangie School' was (Thanks ARCAJO), running along the towpath towards Bishopbriggs, and Kenmure Row was across the canal about 50 yards to the right going towards Lambhill.

The quest continues !

There was a prison in Bishopbriggs called Low Moss (currently being rebuilt, I think). Could Moss Cottages have been near there?

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 30th Jul 2008, 07:43am
Post #11

Super Visitor
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/gaztext_...p;c_id=10107260

Interesting. It says in the section on Auchinairn that it may have been visited by the Plague in 1665. When I was a boy the area on Auchinairn Road between Springfield Avenue and Crowhill Road was known as The Moss and it was rumoured that plague victims were left there to sink into it !!

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 30th Jul 2008, 07:48am
Post #12

Super Visitor
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/r...6-07/1152096054

..more mention of the plague in Auchinairn. Much more recent thogh. Cholera 150 years ago.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Dec 2008, 03:15pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
miner's housing in mavis Valley.
http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/373.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 8th Mar 2009, 03:38pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Dear Imad

My late wife Jean Kelly and family came from Mavis Valley .The name is Kelly or McCormack .

My wifes Mother was Bella McCormack , then she married a James Kelly from Kilsyth.

Her grandfather was Robert Mcormack , her mother was Mary o'Neill .

Robert was drowned in the Canal coming home from the pit .

I never knew Mavis Valley ,as by the time i was going with Jean Kelly ,they had moved to Auchinairn ,where i am to this day . I married jean in St. Matthews Church in !954 then we movedto Glendale Drive . Jean died very suddenly in 2003 .I was devastated !!!!.

I am now in a house just round the corner from Gendale.

Big Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 8th Mar 2009, 04:01pm
Post #15

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
it might be of help to u but if u go to wwwsecretscotland they have posts of lost villages

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.