Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tenement Living
wee mags
post 27th Apr 2004, 01:24am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
When I think of tenements I think of my granny and granda raising thirteen children in a single end on Cumlloden Drive ,it had one room which was the living room, the kitchen, the diningroom, all in one and the other room was the bedroom.but I loved to gothere there was a recessed bed that I had to climb on a stool my granda made and she had a big cover she called an eiderdown which she got out when I stayed over,she had a hot water bottle she called the wee piggy she would fill it with hot water and wrap a flannel binder round it so that I would not burn myself,then onSaturday I would help her clean the fireplace it was a big black grate with the oven and you used black lead polish to clean it and she would show me how to do it right,then we would get a clean cloth and polish it all up till you could see yourself in it and the stainless steel part we polished with soft steel wool and when it was all cleaned she would wash me up ,then we would walk to a wee bakery next to St Marys Church get some Pancakes and go home to have tea and pancakes,some days I think of it and say how did she ever do it it was such a hard life but I dont remeber her ever saying it was hard. biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 27th Apr 2004, 09:50am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
My goodness Scotslad, 240,000 for a flat in Peel Street, Partick, what's the world coming to? I take it this would be a state-of-the-art apartment with all mod cons? Any other extras for that price? One would hope so!!

I was one of the newly marrieds who felt proud to have my first mortgage on a tenement flat, but my goodness the price then was a drop in the ocean compared to today's prices. That was at Pollockshaws Road and it was a lovely blonde sandstone building. Mind you, you couldn't tell it was so lovely as it was in real need of a clean, but Glasgow Council gave all us owners a grant to have it cleaned up (sand blasted) and also to re-roof it, which was great. Also, thankfully, we did have an inside toilet. It was a one-bedroom flat, all we could afford.

Only now do I appreciate how spacious some of these tenement flats were inside, compared to the equivalent older style units in Sydney.

The couple of units I rented here before being able to afford my first mortgage had bedrooms of average size and all had open plan living/dining rooms. Whereas our flat in Glasgow was huge. Real high ceilings with beautiful cornicing, massive kitchen (was almost as big as livingroom) and a lovely open entrance hall. We were also lucky to have the large bay windows which I thought were gorgeous and offered a lovely view. We lived on the top floor and just walking up the open winding staircase was a pleasure (except when carrying up groceries). It had the double storm doors outside then the single door inside. Don't understand the need for storm doors in a tenement building?

I was taken aback at the price of Sydney units, but they reckon prices here are on par with London, but reading through these posts, maybe that should be Glasgow in some instances, as prices have shot through the roof so to speak. To be fair though, it isn't the older style tenements that are commanding these prices, it'll be mostly newly built one's like that depicted in your photo I assume.

I actually brought a GSPC I think it's called (the Glasgow property guide) back to Sydney with me after my last trip last year to have a read through, but think it's still lying in a drawer somewhere, must dig it out now that you've reminded me I still had it.

Well thanks for opening this interesting thread Scotslad and I look forward to reading other posts.

Regards - Teeny tongue.gif

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 27th Apr 2004, 09:10pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Mags what an amazing story,you just cannot imagine bringing up a large family in such a confined space.My lot fight like cat and dog whenever they have to share a room...what a different world we live in today.It makes you wonder how anyone ever had "Quality time" but they obviously did because most peoples memories of those days are good.My own mum shared a room as a teenager with 2 sisters and her favourite expression was first up best dressed and what always amazed us was although their flat was quite big(it was still a big family)they kept the largest room in the flat as the "best room" and only used it on special days.We used to think that was weird all that wasted space when they really needed all the space they could get.They did seem to have great times, all gathered together,playing cards or listening to the radio and they went out a lot visiting relatives or to any place that provided entertainment.Today life is centred around the home to a greater degree,just listening to your times with your Gran is nostalgic...when we visited my Grans all my Mums younger brothers would give us money 2/6 usually and we loved it ....I think they used to try and hide when they saw us arriving but there was no place to go and we just followed them around till they coughed up some dosh...
David the Peoples palace still exists and yes there is a reconstruction there but the best place to see old tenement living is the tenement house the National Trust have in Garnethill .still in its original state from the 20/30's.There must be a website somewhere that I can post for you
Teeny,old tenement property prices have rocketed just like everything else.The flat in Peel St at 240k has a great view over the Cricket Grounds ,very congested street and is backed by the railway line and no special extra's lol .I don't know my south side very well,get my Pollokshaws and Shields mixed up but here is a cutting from the property Herald showing some old flats on Pollokshields.Take a seat before you open it.!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
big al
post 27th Apr 2004, 10:24pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
I used to live in a two room flat in a tenement at the bottom of Duncruin Street in Maryhill - we shared the flat with my aunt who lived in the front room - we lived in the back room - Mum, Dad, my sister and myself - it had a recess for a double bed and a small kitchen off it - we lived and ate and slept in it - there was an outside toilet on the landing that was shared by the other people on the same landing - it was clean and well looked after as we were very lucky with our neighbours - as a child I didn't really feel any hardship but I know it was tough for Mum and Dad and for many others who lived the same way - if we had had the front room it would have been like a palace in one sense...but it was happy times for me - and you never really forget where you came from - and how you got away from it...

Mum often talks about the way things used to be - here memories are different from mine but Maryhill - or the end I lived at - was a great place for a kid to grow up in during the 50's - right next door to the countryside and places like Dawsholm and the canal and land stretching out to the Campsies - marvellous - but like Mags I remember friends who lived several to a room or two rooms and I know they had it hard.....

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
Archie Millar
post 28th Apr 2004, 09:49am
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3
Here's one o' the Big Meet at the Peoples Palace last year(Ria-that's Gemini --Rena--Do-ri me an' some daft bugger
Alas I lost a lot of photo's when my computer crashed last year,and,of course,we lost a lot off the Boards last year in the Melt-down----never mind,am sure oor Cath's got quite a few

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
am still standin'

--
GG Update:

Sadly Archie passed away in March 2007:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8646

GG.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 28th Apr 2004, 06:27pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Scotslad!. I liked your shots of Peel Street. I spent my very early years after we were 'bombed out' during the war on the first floor of No.1 Fortrose Street. Our flat was on the corner of, and overlooked Dumbarton Road. I wondered if you were in the area, you could take a picture of that corner for me?. Would bring back many memories.I seem to remember there was a bank on the corner, but maybe not. Thanks. Rab.

+Quote Post
Tom
post 28th Apr 2004, 08:03pm
Post #22

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
Hi Mags here is a picture of a single end in the Gorbals the woman is sitting beside the fireplace like the one you described,it doesn't look as if it had been polished,I guess if you lived in a place like this you wouldn't feel like polishing anything.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Marion Dougan
post 28th Apr 2004, 09:09pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 206
The old Lady know's no other way of life!

--------------------
Lang may yer Lum reek!!!

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Apr 2004, 09:10pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Rab will get a few pictures for you ,however I am not sure which corner No 1 is on and one tenement on the corner is being renovated at present and totally covered in scaffolding-its the RHS one as you come down Fortrose Street but I will get you something and then try again when the scaffolding is removed.Do you know much about the area during the war? Reason am asking ,the new flats I highlighted on Peel St used to stand on vacant ground opposite the cricket grounds-for years there was a prefabricated DHSS office and a little church hall and they occupied a big space in between existing tenements.Only found out recently that it was a bomb site and when they bombed Dudley Drive in Hyndland in 1941some of the bombs crossed the railway line and took out a section of Peel Street.The Dudley Drive bombings are well covered on the net but I have never seen anything on Peel Street?.I have attached a picture of Hamilton Crescent School in Fortrose Street just up from where you must have stayed and again right in the centre of Fortrose Street there is a big block of 1960's flats so again I wondered if Fortrose Street was bombed as well.This is taken from the front door of the Partick Burgh Halls and its all changed quite a lot.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Apr 2004, 10:08pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I remember well living in a single end ,thats what they used to call it. VIEWPARK AVE off Alexandra Pde. I was there until I was ten years of age . Mom used to say the happiest years of her life were in that little appartment. Is there such a think as a single end now ?

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 28th Apr 2004, 10:54pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Isabel I might be wrong but I don't think single ends exist anymore.When they renovated many of the tenements they used the smaller apartments on each floor to expand the outside flats giving them bathrooms.I think you can still get a room and kitchen but am not 100% sure.Lots of people totally renovated the insides making them quite spectacular.A friend of ours bought one just a couple of years ago and the old old lady who had owned it had moved in as a new bride back in the 20's and it was virtually unchanged.When we stripped off the wallpaper the decorators back then had left graffiti on the wall dated 1925...it was amazing...today the flat is 21c living and ultra smart.Its been a beautiful day in Glasgow and I have attached a picture taken this evening when we went out for a walk...the evening sun hitting the tenements in Garrioch Rd Maryhill/N Kelvinside.Stunning buildings, blond and red sandstone and a new block which they have merged in with the old.Also attached a review of the National Trust for Scotlands Tenement House in Garnethill which is an amazing place and well worth a visit .
Tenement House,Garnethill

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 29th Apr 2004, 01:17am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Fantastic picture Scotslad, I loved Glasgow when I visited last year but from all the pictures that have been posted on the board there are so many places I need to visit next trip.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 30th Apr 2004, 05:18am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Have thoroughly enjoyed this thread,thanks for the pics Scotslad.Just to get things into perspective.Property values have gone through the roof here in NSW.My son bought 2 bedroom townhouse,50 minute train ride from Sydney.In 16 months the value has gone from $325,000 to $480,000,this is based on the sale of his neighbours place.Property was sold within 3 days of going on the market.
When I think of the wee 2 bedroom flat, wi ootside cludgie,we bought in Barrhead,for 450 Quid ,wouldn't mind having it noo. biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 30th Apr 2004, 08:43am
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
Used to have a meal at the BBC club not far from there Iain.

+Quote Post
jannymac
post 30th Apr 2004, 09:42am
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 48
thanks for the photos Scotslad, it was good to see the old photograph and then Peel Street as it is to-day.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.