Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow's Steamies, Where were they?
Allan D.Sim
post 20th Mar 2004, 08:21pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
Let's begin easy. I wonder if anyone remembers Glasgow's old steamies? You know like the one in Tony Roper's The Steamie? Old washouses that combined laundries and baths. I will start the list with two. One long gone and one still there albeit closed. The first was Collins Street, Townhead. It was very close to Royal Infirmary . It was demolished and a hall of residence block built on site. The other which is still there, is Osborne Street, near Saltmarket. One clue to set you off, where was Partick's? Let's see memories in as your mum or grannies dragged you off to the steamie. My mum used Collins Street, as it was closest to our house in Cunningham Street ( just above Queen Street Station). So people let's roll!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jazzy.b
post 6th Apr 2004, 05:32am
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 890
There used to a steamie, on Tollcross road, at Parkhead cross, it was opposite a cinema, which burnt down in a spectacular fire in the early sixties

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 6th Apr 2004, 12:23pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
how about the steamie in Maryhill,you could wash yer clathes,take a bath, or go for a swim.it was at the corner of Gairbraid Ave and Burnhouse Street,Iam sure the guys friom Burnhouse Street will add to this biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Scotia69
post 6th Apr 2004, 07:02pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 330
There was on in Medwyn St Whiteinch similar to wee mags's where you do alsorts of ablutions be it clothes or yourself. Steamies were magic places and I loved going there with my Mum to do the washing

+Quote Post
senga c
post 6th Apr 2004, 07:33pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,025
my mum was brought up in govan up until the early fifties (my mum was second eldest of a family of fifteen) she can remember going to the steamie with the laundry , there must ve been one in the govan vicinity

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 6th Apr 2004, 08:30pm
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
There was one in St Georges cross area, of Grove street.

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 6th Apr 2004, 08:52pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi, my granny went to the steamie in Mair St. just a couple of streets past the Paisley Rd. Toll, and I can still remember the kilns(?) for boiling the clothes and the wall racks for drying them, the humidity and the smell of "clean", as the clothes were washed. My granny was lucky since one of her 5 sons made her a "pulley" it was sort of like a barra and had wheels, so she did not have to carry the boiler suits and "dungarees" of her five boys plus her husband and the clothes for her and her two daughters. I have no idea how these women did it, we are all in their debt. GB

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 6th Apr 2004, 11:59pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Senga
The steamie in Govan was off Elder St I think it was called Harthill St anf they had the swimming baths in the same place, rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 7th Apr 2004, 12:22am
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
There was a steamie and hot baths on cameron st just off hopehill rd in maryhill. As a matter of fact my grandma worked there. I went there once a week for a bath wether i needed one or not. The attendent would clean the tub with some sort of liquid carbolic soap and then fill the tub for ye. Nae refills.......andra

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 7th Apr 2004, 04:13pm
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
Hi to everybody! Our local was the Cranstonhill Baths on Elliot Street with the steamie, two pools and the baths. Here's a wee photie o' it in its heyday probably when it was built coz it sure didnae look like this as I remember it!

Whenever Ah could gaither up enough ginger boatles an' jam jars or cadge enough off ma mammy Ah'd go swimmin' wi' ma pals. Wee Charlie wiz oor keeper....his word wiz law and when he banged oan the door o' yer wee cubicle ye knew ye'd better hightail it oot o' the waater or he'd be danglin' yer claes ower the deep end! He wisnae somebody tae take chances wi'! tongue.gif

Mum used to say the steamie was a godsend! Imagine....loading the wash into a big zinc tub that had to be carted down three flights o' stairs, pushing the loaded bogie or pram up a hill to the steamie, wash and wring a' they claes before loading them up for the return trip hame...and humphing the same thing this time heavier back up the three flights....hingin' it a' up on the pulley....cook the dinner and tackle the ironing. Aye right.....a godsend.. God Bless the Maytag Man!

Here's a wee site for anybody fae Argyle Street/St Vincent Street/Berkeley Street: www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kentrd/

My attachment didnae take....here goes again....fingers crossed!

This post has been edited by chookie bun: 7th Apr 2004, 04:15pm
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 7th Apr 2004, 07:46pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
hey chookie remember when the wash wissnae dry right and the clathes were drippin on yase as yae sat doon tae dinner biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 7th Apr 2004, 08:22pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
Aye Mags....an' did that no' get up ma brurra's nose...as well as doon 'is back....goad how Ah loved tae torment 'im! Hiv been known to re-position a wet dish clout so's the drips wid hit 'is nose....couldnae miss...coz he hiz the faimly schnozzola fur shur....Och Ah wiz bad....wiznae aye 'is fave wee sister tongue.gif ...hehe! Mind tae a' the sox goat hung on the wee string across the mantle?

An' tae keep us on topic....Ah nivver knew there wiz so many steamies in Glesga! Don't know why that fact surprises me coz there wid've been one in most neighbourhoods...jist never thought about it afore. Good thread! Does anybody know when Glasgow Corporation started to build the steamies? Wonder how many are still operating....?

This post has been edited by chookie bun: 7th Apr 2004, 08:30pm

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Apr 2004, 09:25pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hey Chookie, I remember the Cranstonhill Steamie & swimming pool. I used to stay a lot with my Aunt who lived in Hydepark Street.
If I remember correctly a few Inter School Swimming Gala's were held there, I used to swim in them. Esther Williams had nothing on me. laugh.gif
Our local steamie and pool were the called Woodside, just off the North Woodside Road.
The Swimming Gala's were held there also.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
dorcas
post 8th Apr 2004, 10:16pm
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 1,050
Hi to everyone, just new to Glasgowguide, love this topic about the steamie's.Brought back memories, Who remembers the steamie in Pollokshaws,Ashtree Rd next to Tilly's swings. My uncle tam collins worked in the washhouse and his son Archie was pool attendant. Every Sunday I wiz sent to the hot baths, you could have swam in it that's if it wiznae too hot to get into, and the size of the back scrubbing brush wiz so heavy you could have done yerserf an injury. "Great Times "

+Quote Post
Brenda
post 8th Apr 2004, 11:02pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,031
Here's a photo of the steamie in Medwyn Street Whiteinch.. Right next door was the public baths and swimming pools .. one for "Ladies Only" , and a big one with the changing booths upstairs for the women, men downstairs. I remember there were wee baths where we had to wash our feet before daring to enter the water. Cheers, Brenda
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.