Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasow Dancehall Memories
Margaret Gormley
post 23rd Feb 2004, 02:17pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 986
Great to see all the messages about the great Glasgow Dancehalls, thursday night at the Locarno great night but also the friday night at Greens Playhouse dancin tae the big bands, no heard that much about greens playhouse anybody else dae there toe-tapping there.

Loved all the pictures of the dancehalls the memories smile.gif while i'm at it does anyone remember the Queen Mary Jazz Club (up a cloase) on West Nile St with Bill Fanning and the big band sound also went to the Lindella Club on alternative Sundays.

Although i'm from Paisley my days and nights were spent in Glasgow
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Archie Millar
post 23rd Feb 2004, 02:37pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3
Aye, a've got many memories o' the Playhouse going up in the lift--like you, a used tae go on a Friday night when the big bands came

--------------------
am still standin'

--
GG Update:

Sadly Archie passed away in March 2007:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8646

GG.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 23rd Feb 2004, 08:17pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
wink.gif Welcome Margaret

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd Feb 2004, 08:23pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Welcome to you Margaret the Lindella brings back memories of the sixties Remember those twist dresses with the diagonal stripes, my goodness I'm aulder than I think!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bullyweeclyde
post 7th Mar 2004, 08:22am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,010
Glasgow dance halls--I used to be a --chucker oot--in a few dance halls in glasgow --maybe a bundled some o' yooz oot--the berkley--the majestic and of course the barrow land--ye must no me --a wiz the big guy at the front door --worked mon-wed-fri sat afternoon and sat nite and got aboot 5 poons for aw' ma trouble--big guy came into the "magic stick" a bit late on a saturday night --told him to wait ootside and a wid let him in first on monday night-- as he turned to go the manager came to the front door and called him back "hello Chick" --it wiz chick murray wub.gif --I told him i didn't know him withoot madie----clyde

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 8th Mar 2004, 04:20pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Glasgow was one of the great places in the UK for dancing.I travelled all over the Uk and went to many dance halls in many cities. The best dancers were in Glasgow , Dundee and Newcastle.Ioved going to the greens playhouse especially to see the best dance band in those days,Joe Loss.I used to go to the hammersmith palais ,in london where joe and his orchestra were the resident band. They were wonderful.My girlffriend and i used to take dancing lessons at the Alex and Irene Stewart studios on great western road at georges cross. We would go to the berkley on a monday night and practice in the downstairs ballroom what alex and irene had taught us. For good dancing it was the Loc or the majestic both great dance halls and for a nice romantic evening the plaza at eglinton toll did it for me......andra

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 8th Mar 2004, 10:29pm
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
Andra I used to go to Stewarts on a sunday night. Also when I was living in Acton in London we all used to go to the Hammersmith Palias when Joe Loss was on. (small World)
There was also a dance studio in Burnbank Gardens can you recall the name of it, I am not sure but I think that it might have been called Dalglishis?

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 9th Mar 2004, 05:52pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Hi Andy great stuff about the dance halls,I liked the Plaza with the fountain in the middle of the floor.Glasgow halls were great to learn as you got older,you started at the Barowland and endedat the Berkley or the Albert

+Quote Post
brandster
post 10th Mar 2004, 10:04pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 878
Hi everybody,
I lived close to the Flamingo.. it was a fish supper walk home. AND!! the barra land... Geordies Byre... the ultimate for a Saturday. The Albert was an older crowd. Does anyone remember a jive club.. in Paisley I think--Maybe not.. I learned to lindy hop there.
Les wink.gif

+Quote Post
Brenda
post 12th Apr 2004, 02:12am
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,031
Now before you all shout at me for putting this in the wrong place bear in mind that I'm a dunce when it comes to these boards..I'm never sure where to post, how to find any replies etc.etc. So when I saw the topic" Dancehall Memories" I thought this might fit in here! It's a photo of the F & F's in Partick.I was almost 16 when I left Glasgow and to this day my parents never knew that me and my pal went there a couple of times just before we emigrated! Cheers, Brenda
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
isa
post 12th Apr 2004, 11:32am
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
hello,
this is a great page to look at your memories on......
http://www.glasgow-barrowland.com/
it shows the barras and the ballroom
isa smile.gif

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
K32a1r1m
post 13th Apr 2004, 06:00pm
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 648
Aaahhh the Barrowlands. Me mither would have killed me if she know half of the stuff that went on there. Most memorable for me was catching a high heel in rubber mat at the top of the stairs and going head over heels all the way down to the bottom. Amazingly, I escaped with just a few minor bruises and a great show of my knickers. When I finally stood up I got a standing ovation. Kathryn laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 13th Apr 2004, 07:37pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Ach poor Kathryn, never mind, hope the rest of your night was good I'm sure it was. Always was the best at the Barrowland, happy days rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Margaret P
post 13th Apr 2004, 08:37pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25
I just love this post brings back all my memories I was 17 when I left Glasgow so been to most of the dance halls tongue.gif

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 14th Apr 2004, 03:23am
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
Hey K32 so it was you who was the acrobat at the jigging, did yer maw no go to the steamie lol.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.