Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Groceries And The Butchers Vans.., Names - not remembered ..
Geezabrek
post 6th Apr 2006, 07:21pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
As a wee lad in Priesthill in the mid - late 50's and early 60's - I can remember two mobile shops, but for the life of me canny remember who ran them ... One was a single decker bus that was a corner shop on wheels - run by an asian man who I think was called Ali. He used to give me a sweety when i went in for my maw's messages (as long as we managed to pay for the groceries - nae tic!). And then there was a butchers van that you went in - up the steps and through the back centre doors. Everything was chopped up in front of you, which as a wee lad i actually liked to see ?? .. Neither would pass the 'hygiene' laws now, but I'd like to think that these early pioneers made it big and own Tesco or something now. ha ha. cool.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 6th Apr 2006, 07:47pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Jings

That brought back memories. As a young boy growing up in the Wyndford Estate in the late 60's early 70's, I too remember the mobile van.

Ours was a grocers van that my mother would send me to, it was always the same order; plain loaf, half pound of sugar, potatoes, eggs and a small packet of custard creams. The van was also a single decker bus, converted and the name Betty on the side. I for some reason always pronounced it Vetty's Van. Couldn't get a hold of the B's! Nothing changes!

Her demise came when the great 'Caring, sharing Co-op' built a small store in the scheme and took her trade away. Of course, people abandoned her fresh produce and warm ways to save a bob or two (they never did, cause the Co-op was more expensive and they bought more than they intended).

O happy days!

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
RonD
post 7th Apr 2006, 10:01am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
We never had grocery vans since we had a Cowlairs coop and and butcher right across the street. I helped built that coop when I was aobut 4 years old I used to spend my days helping the tradesman. I ahd agood memory so I was a good gofer since I remembered the name of all the tools. I was so upset when this woman in awhite coat wouldn't let me in one day. i hadn't realized the store was now officially open but I got ot know them all anyway becasue I got big enough to do the messages. The butcher's was run by Ann and Andy, and I had run over to show off my new jumper to Annie every time my Mam knitted one for me.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 7th Apr 2006, 06:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Aye. Happy days indeeed. I think the 'mobile grocer' is a needed source of shopping (plus) as there are many an older person that canny make the trip to the shops so easily - or indeed at all. Plus, apart from the necessaries, these folk used to know everyone and were a great source of 'community' that seems long gone now. It is all private agencies and paid helpers now and the real folks (still a few) are thin on the ground. "So should we look back or forwards" ?? eh !! . . ha. ha. perhaps best to dwell in a bit of the good memories.. Cos, we have them, others in future might not eh !! .. Nice to see ya guys.. cool.gif ... Anybody else remember 'delivery men' - like the horse and cart (rag and bone) man in Govan who would have yer da's suit for a few balloons ??

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
sumac
post 18th Sep 2006, 06:20pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
When we were moved out to Garthamlock in the overspill, we were amazed to find that vans came round every day, selling butcher meat, fruit and veg, ice cream, fish and chips, and whatever else we needed. It was a novelty for a wee while, then we realised that these vans were a necessity and we were becoming prisoners in the scheme. mellow.gif
I have hated vans ever since, and hate it if an ice cream van decides to call once in a blue moon!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Tumchie
post 16th Nov 2006, 05:48pm
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 11
Ah remember growing up in Cardonald in the sixties when the roll man would come by in his van on Sundays. We'd buy well-fired rolls and Tunnocks Carmel Wafers. No bad.
I vaguely remember the coalman coming round too. He'd yell "Coooaaaall!" We had a bunker out back where he dump the coal. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 28th Mar 2007, 05:53am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
I can mind of Hubbards the Bakers van , Kinnlochs the grocers , Fulcream ice cream man and the fish van , canny mind his name .We would get a hurl in the van to his next stop on the way home from school.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 28th Mar 2007, 05:55am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Just remembered the coalman on a Saturday morning and the rag and bone man, used to run in to the house and ask for any old stuff from Mum to give him so I could get a goldfish or a wee toy in exchange.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Fred Alcroft*
post 14th Apr 2007, 05:58pm
Post #9

I was brought up in Ardrossan and remember grocers, bakers, butchers and ice cream vans galore.
Bertie Bernthal brought us fresh fruit and vegetables every morning. Davidsons mobile shop came round our street on a Tuesdfay and Thursday. Ashdens mobile shop came round every weekday and Saturday around 6pm. Crawfords mobile shop came round after church on a Sunday and Willie Howie brought his fish van round every Friday calling out, "cod fillet, hadock and lemon sole. Herring fresh herring".
And we had the co-op selling butcher meat out of the back of a Standard Ten driven by Bill Smith.
This was all forty five years ago and I can still remember it as if it were yesterday.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 23rd May 2007, 12:43am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
the vans selling groceries and stuff are still about a know that there a 2 in the castlemilk area and sell them iced rings with the synthetic cream jhist lhuverly my mooth is wattering big time noo

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 24th May 2007, 03:25am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Last I read Stuarty you were talkin strawberry tarts , noo its iced cream rings, you do realise I'll have to have one of them as well

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 24th May 2007, 12:23pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
and the last I heard Stuarty, you were looking for a good diet. Se whit happens when the doctor tells us to lose weight? All we can think of is food, food, food. Don't think you have to lose weight though, you look good. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 28th Jun 2007, 09:11pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
Denniston Folk may remember Beatties Bakery rubber wheeled horse van the driver was a man called Archibald and he used to stay in the close at 18 Aitken St, the lovely white horse was called Atlas all the kids loved talking to the horse. Once a year there was a special show or something but the Cart and horse were all done up in the finery.
There were also the coalmans cart and the cart that delivered bags of spuds to the shops, its was hard work for the coalman to deliver to all the tenements 3 stories up

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 28th Jun 2007, 09:25pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a hidny been told to diet then ha ha but a would still eat cream rings and strawberry tarts cause they are fantasticly magic ohhhhhhh a want 5 or 10 laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
murn
post 9th Sep 2007, 10:58pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
I remember Malkies van that stopped at Linnhead and Ravenscraig in Priesthill.
We went under it once, came doon the hill on a boogy and could not stop in time, just as well the van was high up off the road
sad.gif DUCK laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.