Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brexit News, We told you so.
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 10:09am
Post #136

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (ashfield @ 26th Feb 2020, 09:20am) *
Bit of an oversimplification, the main influx of folk from other countries back then was because there was a labour shortage after WW2.

Some union leaders were as bad as the employers and the government of the day, but don't discount how bad working conditions were for a whole lot of people.Unions had to fight for decent wages, proper health and safety legislation, holiday pay, maternity leave etc which ate into the profits of the poor manufacturers who had to move to other countries to maximise their investments. Also saved them the bother of investing in modernisation here. unsure.gif

There was indeed a shortage of labour Ash, but people were invited over here to live and work, now some are being told they're not welcome anymore and should return home.

Agree about the poor working conditions, but the unions ended up playing their part in killing the manufacturing industry with their strikes at the drop of a hat, and overmanning, as companies in Europe could with one man the same job that was being done here with two or even three.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post Y'day, 02:09pm
Post #137

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 26th Feb 2020, 10:12am) *
I have to disagree Dave, had it not been for EU fishing regulations our waters would have been over fished into extinction.

British waters had been well managed for over 100 years with in that time fleets from at least a dozen ports around the UK in full employment.
There was no throwing back of the catch because of an EU directive, there was no EU limit on the number of days a boat was allowed to fish.
Most of the fish caught in British waters was consumed by British customers.
With that uninformed statement Jagz you come across as an EU apologist.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 10:02pm
Post #138

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 26th Feb 2020, 08:27am) *
And the UK needed people immigrating here at that time too Danny, to do the jobs that the locals turned their noses up at.

The Trades Unions played their part in the demise of the manufacturing industry at that time too.

Jagz, What age were you in the 1950’s? I was in my Twenties. So I will tell you now, what you are claiming didn’t happen. The local Scottish working class people did not turn their noses up at working for a living. That is an insult, and in fact a downright lie. Unless you can come up with a link, as you usually do, to prove your claim, then your statement lacks credibility.

In the 1950’s many thousands of us were forced to do either two years National Service or five years in the Merchant Navy. There was full employment at that time.

What happened was that certain industries, such as textiles, were TAKEN from us and moved to places like Bradford. Why, because the influx of people from the Far East, mainly Pakistan, gave employers the opportunity to move their production to a cheaper labour force. So before you start demeaning the Scottish people, get your facts right. You are some Scottish Nationalist. You take every opportunity to demean your fellow countrymen and women because, like the SNP you think we can’t survive without EU citizens. The people who started the SNP movement many years ago, will be turning in their graves. Their objective was to have an independent Scotland for the Scots. This new SNP want a Scotland for all comers. A completely different objective.

You should be ashamed of yourself. There are so few of my generation left, that I will now be more or less a lone voice. If you had made your claim, say 10 years ago you would have received more than my response to your ridiculous claim.

Regarding your claim about the Trade Unions, there were two main industries which caused disruption. One was the motor car industry, where Red Robbo the infamous Shop Steward caused havoc, and the other was the coal mining industry, where Arthur Scargill fought the miners case.

I worked in engineering for many years. Apart from one or two minor incidents which lasted a few days, it was nothing like the picture you have painted.

There was also the Korean War. A war in which my generation were called to fight against the evil of Communism. Where are we today? Reliant on Communist China for much of our non food products.

The Chinese also paid a heavy price for the Korean War. The talk right now is about the deaths caused by the Coronavirus. Well during the Korean War, the Glorious Glosters, consisting of about 650 young British soldiers of my generation which you have just insulted, killed 10,000 young Chinese in the space of Three Days. The Glosters who were surrounded, had to surrender, for the simple reason they had run out of ammunition. So when you talk about the young people of working age during the 1950’s, get your facts right.

Call yourself a Scottish Nationalist? Pull the other leg. Your a Scottish Nationalist Party fanatic. A different kind of creature.

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 10:18pm
Post #139

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 26th Feb 2020, 02:09pm) *
British waters had been well managed for over 100 years with in that time fleets from at least a dozen ports around the UK in full employment.
There was no throwing back of the catch because of an EU directive, there was no EU limit on the number of days a boat was allowed to fish.

Dave, isn’t it a pity that there are so few of us old guys still around. I get the feeling that Jagz thinks his generation know it all. He thinks in the mid twentieth century, the Scottish workers turned their noses up at employment, so foreign workers had to be brought in.

Danny

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post Y'day, 10:40pm
Post #140

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Of course Danny's not a racist!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post Y'day, 10:59pm
Post #141

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
[quote name='DannyH' date='26th Feb 2020, 11:18pm' post='3742508']
Dave, isn’t it a pity that there are so few of us old guys still around. I get the feeling that Jagz thinks his generation know it all. He thinks in the mid twentieth century, the Scottish workers turned their noses up at employment, so foreign workers had to be brought in.

Danny

In the late 50s, early 60s an increasing number of "foreigners" worked for CCT. There was nothing to stop a Scot from working as a driver or conductor. Ergo: they were not doing any local out of a job.

Likewise , in the hotel business, there were a huge number of foreign workers, In fact the manager of the Central Hotel went to Turkey to recruit staff, as he couldn't manage locally. This is not hearsay, as I have personal knowledge. The hotel waiting, cooking, and chambermaiding staff hailed from France, Italy, Spain, Finland, Malta, Poland, Turkey etc. and a sprinkling of Scots.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post Y'day, 11:24pm
Post #142

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Feb 2020, 10:40pm) *
Of course Danny's not a racist!

Bilbo, would you please expand on your comment. Does supporting Scottish workers make me a racist?

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 11:51pm
Post #143

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 26th Feb 2020, 02:09pm) *

One thing i'm not is a EU apologist Dave. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Today, 12:03am
Post #144

Mega City Key Holder
No Danny i don't, you're a British Nationalist fanatic. A Weirdly different kind of creature. yes.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Today, 12:12am
Post #145

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 26th Feb 2020, 10:18pm) *
I get the feeling that Jagz thinks his generation know it all. He thinks in the mid twentieth century, the Scottish workers turned their noses up at employment, so foreign workers had to be brought in.

Danny

No i don't think i know it all Danny, and i can only speak for myself, but i do know that my brother worked in Larkfiield garage around that time and had a lot of Asian and West Indian ex pat's working as drivers and conductors on the Corporation buses as they couldn't get locals to do the jobs.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.