Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1431 Pages V  « < 913 914 915 916 917 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
CAT
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:32pm
Post #13711

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 18th Sep 2014, 04:37pm) *
I suspect not.

Good there is enough of those theories around here.
I just hope we can all be pals tomorrow and get onto some interesting topics such as jam making, knitting or what's the best nightclub. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:44pm
Post #13712

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
One way or another, I think we'll be getting either a new PM (short-term replacement for Cameron until next year's UK election and then Salmond/Sturgeon on Independence Day) or a new FM (definitely Sturgeon). biggrin.gif

I hope you can tell that I argued the case for unity in these isles out of a sense of duty, but also that I am Scottish at heart and will accept and celebrate the will of my people come what may. This is evidence that the arguments of the Yes supporters on here changed my heart to some extent (although not enough to vote Yes), because if you read back on my earliest posts I was then prepared to leave for the remainder of the UK in the event of Independence! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:47pm
Post #13713

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (RitaB @ 18th Sep 2014, 04:17pm) *
JAGZ1876

What bloody currency will it be paid in?? what about currency? nhs, welfare, education, public spending? who is going to fund them??? The wee dictator has not given answers on any of them all we get from him is his fav word "scaremongering". It is like buying a house and not knowing what your mortgage is going to be and being told just buy it and we will work out the rest later!!!!! aye right!!!

The £ Sterling, the Scottish taxpayer will fund the NHS, welfare, education, public spending as we do at the moment.

Do you honestly believe that a NO vote will result in more powers for Scotland?

Aye right!!!

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:50pm
Post #13714

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 18th Sep 2014, 04:21pm) *
Panic over. I'm back.

I think I fooled GG by changing my avatar. (Sorry). biggrin.gif

Thanks for letting me know, Kemedian. It wasn't your avatar – although the new one is an improvement wink.gif. There has been a general issue several times today with that topic and also a couple of others, where they have had to be restored manually from backup. It meant that these topics were intermittently unavailable to everyone, but hopefully all the posts have been restored to that particular topic.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:53pm
Post #13715

Mega City Key Holder
cool3.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:55pm
Post #13716

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I don't really get this one... rolleyes.gif

Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote

1) He’s taking a huge gamble on oil. All of the Yes Campaign’s budgeting for the future depends on the ability to raise a certain amount of revenue from North Sea Oil. But that is horribly unpredictable. All of the published predictions – both optimistic and pessimist are just that: predictions. It’s a pretty scary thing to base the future of an independent country on.

2) He can’t guarantee NHS spending in an independent Scotland – despite what he’s said. The NHS north of the border faces the same problems that it does in England – a rising elderly population, new and expensive treatments and restricted money to pay for them unless you put up taxes. While the rest of the UK is giving a chunk of money to the Scottish Government – he can blame them for the cutbacks. When that stops he can’t.

3) He knows – but can’t admit it in the campaign – that the rest of the UK will never accept a currency union. Pressure on English politicians will be too great from the rest of the country ever to agree to a union where England takes responsibility for another country’s debt but has no control over its spending. Even if it was the sensible thing to do the politics of England in a post-independence world are such that it would never happen.

4) In the short term some businesses – and maybe a lot of businesses – will reduce their presence in Scotland. Negotiations for independence will create uncertainty, and businesses whose only loyalty is to their shareholders hate uncertainty. They will not wait to ‘see how things turn out’ – they will unsentimentally make plans for the worst, and implement them before a final agreement over separation is reached. That will not be poplar in Scotland.

5) But if it’s a no vote then none of this is a problem. His Government gets more power, more money and can carry on blaming London if things go wrong. The SNP will cruise to another victory in the Holyrood elections on the back of the independence campaign – which he will be seen to have won even if he loses. He maybe scathing about Devo Max now – but just two years ago he wanted that to be an option on the referendum question. He may be secretly hoping that’s what he gets now.

Full article here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commen...te-9738636.html

They're not allowing comments on this hypothesis, but we can.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
booler
post 18th Sep 2014, 03:56pm
Post #13717

Resident
Member No.: 26,030
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 18th Sep 2014, 05:04pm) *
The £ Sterling, the Scottish taxpayer will fund the NHS, welfare, education, public spending as we do at the moment.

Do you honestly believe that a NO vote will result in more powers for Scotland?

Aye right!!!

Aye right so we do but the money comes from the kitty in England that we have all paid into.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 18th Sep 2014, 04:09pm
Post #13718

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 18th Sep 2014, 05:12pm) *

Full article here:

GG.

If it's a No vote, Salmond will 100% make way for Sturgeon.

I've always thought his position on currency indicated that he wants Scotland to join the Euro.

Of course he wants Independence. He believes that Scotland will get it eventually, and I am starting to agree with him. I have never been against Independence in principle. I hope for two possible outcomes from Devolution, either a stronger and better Union of nations or stronger and better independent nations. I have always believed in Devolution. I don't like this risky break-away from the UK, however I'm willing now to accept it, and I know I would grow to love it too, as I love my country Scotland. I just feel that we would be doing the rest of the UK a disservice by leaving this way.

When I watched his big speech yesterday, I thought I could see a performer at work. When he comes away with statements like " Don't let THEM stop us " I think he knows full well the terribly dangerous game he is playing. He has certainly taken many a gamble throughout his Campaign. He has, in fact, gambled it all, on this last historic throw of his dice.

If there's a No vote I won't gloat. We've been through enough together already without adding unnecessary upset and bitterness to the outcome of the Referendum. The best among us will work with whatever the people decide and move on to hopefully better days.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 18th Sep 2014, 04:34pm
Post #13719

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Kemedian, it is not about Salmond. Furthermore, it is most certainly not about you.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 18th Sep 2014, 04:45pm
Post #13720

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (Dylan @ 18th Sep 2014, 02:34pm) *
If that is how they are behaving shame on the lot of them.

Not in my name !.

Hi Dylan,
I should have said that these people are on the far-flung shores of the 'No' camp and aren't representative of anyone or anything other than themselves.
As a 'YES' voter - just in case you hadn't noticed - I disagree with many posters on this thread but I don't think that this is anything to do with any of you.

Durachdan,

Eddy

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 18th Sep 2014, 04:46pm
Post #13721

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (booler @ 18th Sep 2014, 05:13pm) *
Aye right so we do but the money comes from the kitty in England that we have all paid into.

And after independence the money will come from the kitty in Holyrood.

What is your point?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 18th Sep 2014, 04:50pm
Post #13722

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 18th Sep 2014, 05:12pm) *

Full article here:

GG.

Oliver Wright may be the Whitehall Editor of The Independent, but he knows hee haw about Scottish politics.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 18th Sep 2014, 04:52pm
Post #13723

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
This just in: surprise , surprise, the promised plans are unraveling as we vote. Tory MPs are making it clear that they won't be supporting anymore funds for Scotland if we vote 'No.'
Did even the 'No' voters on this thread believe that they would?

Durachdan,

Eddy

"Tory minister Claire Perry joins rebellion over Scottish funding pledge. Claire Perry, the rail minister, has become the first Conservative frontbencher to join the growing rebellion over promises to give Scotland more powers regardless of the referendum result, by warning against "promises of financial party bags".

"James Gray, another Tory MP and former shadow Scottish secretary, has also joined the rebellion, saying: "Talk about feeding an addiction. The more you give them, the more they want, and we would be back with calls for independence within a decade or sooner. For too long the rights of 55 million English have been subordinated to the shouting of 4.5 million Scots. That must end." (Guardian)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/s...cottish-funding

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 18th Sep 2014, 05:01pm
Post #13724

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
More details of the assault reported in Shettleston :-

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/former...r-marie-7795001

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
caltonjock
post 18th Sep 2014, 05:02pm
Post #13725

City Key Holder
Member No.: 26,386
This is a must view video before you vote if possible if not just enjoy it

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=101523...e=2&theater

+Quote Post

1431 Pages V  « < 913 914 915 916 917 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.