Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memories Of A Glasgow Childhood 1960s, Slideshow
Onyir
post 15th Nov 2014, 07:33pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 8,800
A slideshow of a Glasgow childhood in the Toonheid tenements in the 1960s:-

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 15th Nov 2014, 08:00pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Enjoyed that Onyir .

Great stuff , well done.

Thank you smile.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
lubbock
post 15th Nov 2014, 10:07pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 14,540
I can recall the early sixties very much as portrayed in those images..Great stuff and great memorable days ...

--------------------
Sunny Govan.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 16th Nov 2014, 08:34am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Thanks for that Onyir, thats my Toonheid thumbup.gif

Sad to think from a nostalig point of view that within ten years from 1960 most of it was gone

+Quote Post
Brianjardine
post 16th Nov 2014, 09:51am
Post #5

Settling In
Member No.: 27,083
Well done Onyir,superb, we had nothing between us and didnae care.
More power to your elbow

--------------------
You can take the boy out of Glasgow.......

+Quote Post
Onyir
post 16th Nov 2014, 05:52pm
Post #6

Visitor
Hi Dave, you're right about that 10 year period between 1960 and 1970. The devastation, in the name of slum clearance and the new Inner Ring Road, inflicted between Buchannan Street and Castle Street from the mid 60s onwards was criminal. All those sandstone buildings could easily have been renovated instead of decamping people into sky-scrapers or windy housing estates with very little amenities. One of the reasons I wrote the book, Parly Road, was to try and captivate the area from the streets upwards through the eyes of a bunch of wee toe-rags from the Toonheid, paying particular attention to the geographic detail that was lost via the bulldozers. I have put together a Facebook page called Johnboy Taylor-The Glasgow Chronicles (the main character in the books) to try and create a pictorial history of the period. If you want to see more photos, just use the link below. Kind regards.

https://www.facebook.com/theglasgowchronicles

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 17th Nov 2014, 07:03am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Onyir @ 16th Nov 2014, 08:09pm) *
Hi Dave, you're right about that 10 year period between 1960 and 1970. The devastation, in the name of slum clearance and the new Inner Ring Road, inflicted between Buchannan Street and Castle Street from the mid 60s onwards was criminal. All those sandstone buildings could easily have been renovated instead of decamping people into sky-scrapers or windy housing estates with very little amenities. One of the reasons I wrote the book, Parly Road, was to try and captivate the area from the streets upwards through the eyes of a bunch of wee toe-rags from the Toonheid, paying particular attention to the geographic detail that was lost via the bulldozers. I have put together a Facebook page called Johnboy Taylor-The Glasgow Chronicles (the main character in the books) to try and create a pictorial history of the period. If you want to see more photos, just use the link below. Kind regards.

I remember towards the end of the 50's my father going down to the City Chambers to have a look at the model they had made of the proposed changes to the Townhead, it was obvious it was doomed even then and the council had made its mind up that come hell or high water the Toonheid was to be gutted.
The 'families' local was the Marquis Bar that sat on the corner of Parly rd and Dobbies loan and the owner realising they had no future relocated to Shettleston rd?
I wonder if having the experience of the devastation that was caused would the council embark on the same course today?

+Quote Post
Onyir
post 17th Nov 2014, 05:29pm
Post #8

Visitor
They would get hung if they attempted a similar clearance now-a-days, Dave. It's incredible that The Corporation were allowed to do that to a whole community. The first my ma knew about it was when we were informed that we were to be rehoused. We got up to a maximum of three knockbacks on where they offered us. If we didn't take any, we were to be evicted.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 18th Nov 2014, 04:52pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Thanks Onyir. that was great, I left Toonheid Kyle Street in 1956 we were moved to Ruchazie. Will show my grankids the video when they come round. If we hadn`t been moved out all our lives may have been a lot different. Thanks again. Alex.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Onyir
post 19th Nov 2014, 10:11pm
Post #10

Visitor
You're welcome Alex. Hope your grandkids find the images interesting Have you checked out the Facebook page I set up? There's more photos on that. Kind regards.

+Quote Post
**wellfield**
post 24th Dec 2014, 08:54pm
Post #11

Great depiction!!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 25th Dec 2014, 10:05am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I think the council made mistakes in the 60s re tye building of high flats but at the time it was the way forward all over the country.The tenements where I lived near Queens Cross, not so different from Townhead had degenerated into slums, well below tolerable standards and only fit for demolition .As for renovation a few red sandstones survived but the remainder were slums of the first order.

+Quote Post
*iantodd*
post 29th Dec 2014, 12:53pm
Post #13

Yes, but the problem was that the city planners didn't or wouldn't use their imagination when it came to looking at the need of the community. It was all slash and burn which everyone now agrees is not the way to go about things.

+Quote Post
*Glasgow Guest*
post 1st Jan 2015, 11:00am
Post #14

Such was the scale of Glasgow's housing problem in the years after the Second World War that the planners had little choice but to "slash and burn".

It would seem that distance does indeed lend enchantment as I have a clear memory of the slums of Townhead and elsewhere in Glasgow and in my view it would have taken a deal more than imagination to make these areas fit for habitation.

+Quote Post
GG
post 1st Jan 2015, 06:17pm
Post #15

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Such was the scale of Glasgow's housing problem in the years after the Second World War that the planners had little choice but to "slash and burn". ...

Arrant nonsense. That is the standard tired excuse espoused by increasingly desperate Labour party apologists who have run our city into the ground over the last seven decades, destroying huge swathes of communities and undermining the quality of life for hundreds of thousands of Glaswegians to such an extent that we have suffered the worst levels of health, education and social deprivation of any city in the UK. These same contemptible Labour party apologists are cognisant of the institutionalised ineptitude and corruption that provided the backdrop to the destruction and devastation of our city. The Tories, of course, had a significant hand in the idealogical, economic and psychological attack on Glasgow, but it is the self-serving Labour party cronies – increasingly controlled from a regressive and dystopian London citadel – that put boots on the ground to do the dirty work.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.