Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1453 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
john.mcn
post 12th May 2013, 08:51am
Post #241

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Pretty much what some of us have been saying all along.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 12th May 2013, 09:26am
Post #242

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
What? Germans on our side? Experts say Scotland would do just fine? Tories falling out over Europe? Labour fall out with Better Together pals?

All together now...
"oh what a beautiful morning.. "

+Quote Post
serabash
post 12th May 2013, 11:28pm
Post #243

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
just found this , hope you enjoy. wink.gif

Scotland Inspires Me - By Gordon S.Kerman

I had heard about Scotland all my life, growing up in a Canadian family with a Scottish mum, whom I call M.

Before leaving Canada I travelled the length and breadth of it, from British Columbia to Nova Scotia and Dawson City, Yukon Territories to the border of the United States and beyond.

My first holiday in Scotland was in August 1995 for a two-week period. I was immediately taken by how different and beautiful the country was in comparison to Canada. While waiting for the bus into the city I noticed something that set a seed of understanding. A tourist, having her bags loaded into a taxi, didn’t notice papers and a £50 note which had flown out of her grasp. An observant Scot quickly responded, handing them back to her. Her body language said it all.

After my two weeks of inspiring bliss, awe-filled events and sights, touring the highlands, walking all over Edinburgh and seeing some of the most beautiful women I’d ever laid eyes on, the holiday was over.

I knew then that I had to come to live and work here. I belonged.

My first week back in Canada was spent calculating finances, logistics and doing a feasibility study. It was going to take seven years of focused determination to be able to arrive on my own terms: single and with a decent nest egg to see me through a long holiday and searching for a job.
After two years of focus, a reality occurred, a different tactic was needed. The exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and the pound was moving the seven year goal post closer to twelve years. So after much deliberation and determination my focus adjusted to locating a job in the USA, as the exchange rate was almost double at that time. That process took me a full year and involved contacting agencies and companies alike. Finally making two contacts that confirmed job offers, I accepted the best one and received a signing bonus, travel expenses, moving costs and rent on a flat for the first month.
The money was far better and it allowed me to pay off my debts and build a healthy nest egg much, much quicker. Three years in the States and my plan was ready.

Touch down in Edinburgh, 9th of August 2001. My life in Scotland began.

The first five month period of my life here was all about immersing, as it still is today. I met people from all over the world, including my closest friends who are from Scotland, Wales, England and Ireland. I delved into everything and enjoyed all aspects of what Scotland has to offer including my friends’ company. This did the trick and convinced me that I would remain in Scotland for the rest of my life.

After the first year had passed, I started to take a keen interest in politics and, being my own man, it was necessary for me to do the appropriate research and find out for myself ‘what-was-what’. While scouring the papers to see what people from Scotland were being subjected to I gained some insight into what our other three countries were being influenced by. My research lead me to libraries and online networks, taking the time to investigate the fiction, spin and cover ups that affect everyone’s lives to the government’s advantage.

My understanding soon turned to outrage, not only on a personal level, but also on many levels of decency and integrity. I simply couldn’t believe the political hierarchy, condescension, arrogant child’s play and fervent denial of Scotland’s requests on even a basic level. At that point, my respect for the UK government was equal to absolute zero. All of it plunging from the depths of the unionist ideology, in almost authoritarian terms. How else would you describe political parties in one country that can’t say or do anything until their masters down south in another country approve it? My political vote had a name.

From the highland energy grid to the constant assault of taxes on our resources, the list of areas where resentment occurs with complete legitimacy is now so mired in union that the best method of fixing it is to vote it out. Accordingly, resolving union-specific issues for Scotland and England, leading to the resolution of country-specific problems in our two nations.

The revelations I read about led to an understanding of how to view unionist parliamentarians when they spoke, wrote and took action. It’s called observational cynicism. Observing what they don’t want you to know or ask.

Currently, the people of our nations are being sold a bill of goods, over and over again, blatantly meant to purposely mislead voters into believing an idea that makes the government seem all powerful, well beyond its own abilities and competence, in order to facilitate a façade. The people had to sign this blank cheque, not knowing the contents of the goods and were expected to immerse into the mindset of acting the part, having it rule their lives, and to protect it, no matter what the cost. This is the very definition of a con. An approach designed specifically to enhance the lives of government, while the people they represent are expected to believe that the government are entitled to that life, creating an atmosphere of hierarchy that divides the people.

This then, is not an opinion, but rather, this is the cold hard truth. An archaic idea based on the premise of a con. There are many shows on TV at the moment exposing the perpetrators of scams and cons, but the most elaborate one that is right in front of our eyes, is that the unionists are conning people, and it goes unnoticed. For their part the main stream media could certainly use a public bare-bottom spanking.

Within the current climate of politics in Scotland, all of the bits and bobs of it are being thrown in your face right now. The essence of the con does not require a microscope to view it, and couldn’t be more neon in nature or plastered more openly on a billboard. As such, it is affecting our life in a negative way, as it always has done.

So please tell me, if someone in your life or someone you knew of was being affected by this, how would you react?

My granddad always teased me by saying, “I don’t know where to hit you to save your life” In essence, this is exactly the problem that has arisen. All of you, intentional no voters and the undecided, need to understand that you don’t have to put up with any of this. This is not ‘Britishness’, it’s a mindset of arrogance. You can start living a life that is free from it.

Scotland’s people are undervalued, they are peripheral thoughts and Scotland’s resources are highly prized. The UK government and certain others view Scots as the summer’s midges, an annoyance in the ear and therefore to be treated as children on the playground. This is highlighted by the approach that the UK government has taken in the past and present with regards to what they tell us about our resources.

I’ve lived here under Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and now David Cameron so I am witness to how each one of them has treated Scotland.

Doesn't it make you wonder why supporters of independence have a passion for it? They can see all of this and the political patterns set by history as well as the present day conditions set by the parliamentarians. They feel that it is incumbent upon them to advise people of that history and what will be set in place for future generations should the UK government be allowed to continue in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

Independence supporters have the vision to see more effectively managed future resources and the ideas and energy to think further. Especially so, given Scotland's historic and present contributions to the world.

It's right in front of our eyes, crying out like a neon sign, "Where is your self- belief, your fight, your desire to make Scotland a nation that is revered as a country to live in?”. There is a world waiting for the people to make the choice to stand on our own two feet, so that others will make the choice to change not only their lives, but also the lives of the future generations.
A yes vote win will provide all encompassing changes, each in its own time. It will be written in books, that we were the catalyst for a myriad of positive developments on the world stage. Of this, I am completely confident. I believe so much in the people of Scotland that no amount of money or anything else would make me turn my back on them.

We need a no camp win like we need another world war. The union is archaic, dysfunctional and highly hypocritical. This see-sawing tactic has got to stop. The no camp comes out with ridiculous comment after audacious comment, spreading manure like a farmer does to pasture. They leave the nation thick with it, fuelling the worst of the human condition, in supposed debates.

Upon Independence, new policies will start working. Right now, they only exacerbate the issues and cause undue levels of incremental resentment. Scotland's people suffer the effects of problems not felt down south; the bedroom tax is one such example of the “let them eat cake” thinking. This is much like Canada and how it saw the effects when American financial systems went into meltdown. Canada would have been in absolute tatters had there been any kind of monetary or political union with the US or the UK. Much the same as Scotland is in tatters because of decisions made south of the border. It has to end.

The monetary issue of keeping the pound that the UK government is rattling cages with, is the best possible short-term policy to help the UK and allow Scotland to stand on its own feet and start to make its own way on the world stage. Canada achieved this on April 17th 1982 with the signing of the Canada Act by the Queen. Where is the new Governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney from? He is a Canadian and was the eighth Governor of the Bank of Canada and Chairman of the G20’s Financial Stability Board. It was stated that he was the best person in the world to be the new Governor of the Bank of England. There is no reason in the world that Scotland cannot take the same type of strategy and forward thinking to select the best candidate for the job of maintaining a solid and sound fiscal responsibility.

In summary, no doubt we will have our own specific date to be celebrating for centuries to come. The date when we become a viable, healthy, powerful nation contributing to the world on our own terms.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th May 2013, 06:15am
Post #244

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Gordon S. Kerman for President!

What a refreshing, piece, which should gain the widest publicity.
I do hope he is ACTIVELY campaigning.

A rounded, and well thought out, interpretation of Scotland's ills, it's past problems, and where it might be, in the very near future.#

There are many signs of a clear and unmistakable pace to the YES coming
Youth are expressing it - business is expressing it - and above all, the people are expressing it.

I hope we can look forward to the new bank of England man, doing a bit of moonlighting lol

I have just one problem. I'd like to see where all this debate is going on?? For it sure as hell not being evident down here. I dont think there's a single unionist who could offer up a valid reason (on the evidence of the last 50 years - sorry - I keep repeating myself!) for Scotland remaining a chattel of Westminster.

THANK YOU SERABASH - keep spreading the word (as long as its not Lurpak!) Excellent find.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 13th May 2013, 06:54am
Post #245

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Serabash, where did you find this article (Gordon S. Kerman)? Is he from Radio Free Scotland (which I can't find now)? Has that bit the dust?

Anyway that was an interesting perspective.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 13th May 2013, 08:20am
Post #246

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
The healthiest cities in the UK

Another 10 reasons to vote yes, why is there only one Scottish City in this list?

1) Bristol
2) Birmingham
3) Cardiff
4) Oxford
5 Edinburgh
6) Liverpool
7) London
8) Manchester
9) Sheffield
10) Southampton

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 13th May 2013, 08:32am
Post #247

Mega City Key Holder

Maybe because streets where there used to be a range of shops now house takeaways, off licenses and bookies?
I do believe the SNP are going down the right road to right this though, the minimum pricing on booze is a start and what will be to some a painful expensive road, what i hope follows is the taxing of foods that have a link to obesity, this is a ticking time bomb and it's only fair the cost of treatment comes out of the pockets of the ones gorging themselves. The other way is for the local authorities to limit the number of takeaways shops in a given area, it is a bit shocking and indicative of our society that takeaways far outweigh shops that sells fruit, veg, milk and bread.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
serabash
post 13th May 2013, 09:17am
Post #248

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
QUOTE (DavidT @ 13th May 2013, 07:11am) *
Hi Serabash, where did you find this article (Gordon S. Kerman)? Is he from Radio Free Scotland (which I can't find now)? Has that bit the dust?

Anyway that was an interesting perspective.

david I am a member on glesga folks and bonny on there posted that article so I am sorry I don't know, but I will ask her where she found it. wink.gif I just felt it needs as much exposure as possible thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 13th May 2013, 09:36am
Post #249

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (wee davy @ 13th May 2013, 06:32am) *
Gordon S. Kerman for President!

What a refreshing, piece, which should gain the widest publicity.
I do hope he is ACTIVELY campaigning.

THANK YOU SERABASH - keep spreading the word (as long as its not Lurpak!) Excellent find.

O wad some Power the gift tae gie us, To see oursels as ithers see us!

I can't remember if it was Burns or Dylan who came up with that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 14th May 2013, 06:36pm
Post #250

Mega City Key Holder
`I think there's something quite ironic, that the day after Mr Brown frae Fife throws his considerable weight behind the NO campaign, the next day he was exposed as FULLY responsible (amongst others) for Labours 'come one come all' policy, into the UK.

Yes. POLICY! (Mr Mandelson has admitted it)

Glaswegians - if THAT doesn't say something to you about LABOUR - then nothing will. Your automotons without a mind of your own, Cybermen, or Daleks!
PLEASE vote for the possibility of a bright new future for your children and grandchildren - I beg you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 15th May 2013, 09:30am
Post #251

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Do you actually understand the meaning of "ironic"?

What, with you being a Scot living in North Yorkshire, ENGLAND (and presumably enjoying doing so) but professing your desire for your fellow Scots to vote to terminate the union with England?

"Ironic" indeed. laugh.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th May 2013, 01:10pm
Post #252

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 15th May 2013, 09:47am) *
Do you actually understand the meaning of "ironic"?

What, with you being a Scot living in North Yorkshire, ENGLAND (and presumably enjoying doing so) but professing your desire for your fellow Scots to vote to terminate the union with England?

"Ironic" indeed. laugh.gif

The irony I refer to, I think you perfectly understand, mattie.

As for a Scot expressing his view on any particular subject, I don't think it makes a blind bit of a difference where he makes it from. How do you know I'm not the guy who just arrived back from the ISS after playing 'Space Odyssey'?? unsure.gif

Nice to see you posting btw

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 17th May 2013, 09:19am
Post #253

Mega City Key Holder

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22566183

I'm all for the right to protest, but this wasn't one of them. This was mob mentality ironically shouting racist and go home at the same time. What ever happened to reason and debate to debunk a persons views, nowadays we just get some e-mates together to shout, intimidate and harass people we dont agree with.
I personally think that Farage is on the money with a lot of what he says regarding immigration , it needs to be controlled and it needs to be limited, this doesn't mean people born here of a different ethnicity aren't Scottish,English, Welsh or even British, frankly that some idiots link the two just shows that people should converse with others who hold different views and not try to shout them down or ban them. You cant understand people by ignoring them and if you cant understand them then you'll be ignoring a lot of people who agree with their views, thats how apathy sets in and governments get in with a small percentage of the vote.
Anyway i fully welcome parties of all opinions into the Scottish electoral system, it pointless calling for 'FREEDOM' when it's only for people you agree with.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 17th May 2013, 10:08am
Post #254

Mega City Key Holder
STV debate between Nicola Sturgeon and Michael Moore.
This went out on air last night 16th May 2013
http://m.stv.tv/news/politics/225688-nicol...endence-debate/

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 17th May 2013, 07:32pm
Post #255

Farrage is a posh twit but the ones who trapped him the pub wer just rascist idiots.

+Quote Post

1453 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.