Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gay Pride Event Leaves Glasgow, Pride Scotia 2007 moves to Edinburgh
GG
post 9th Apr 2007, 12:06pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The gay pride festival which started a controversial row involving Strathclyde firemen is to be relocated to Edinburgh. This year's event, Pride Scotia 2007, will be moved to the capital in an apparent effort to avoid a repeat of the issues which occurred at the Glasgow festival last year, when nine members of the Red Watch team at Cowcaddens Station were disciplined for refusing to hand out leaflets at the event.

The experienced firefighters - with many year's service between them - claimed that they objected to attending and handing out the fire safety leaflets on moral or religious grounds. Some of the men also protested that it was not their jobs to conduct public relations work at an event where, they claimed, officers had previously been subjected to ridicule or harassment.

The crew members were eventually formally disciplined for refusing what was deemed as a core duty, that of relating fire safety and prevention advice. The incident sparked a public outcry, which may have played a part in the event's organisers deciding to transfer the Pride Scotia parade to the east coast.

The Pride Scotia 2007 event is scheduled for 23rd June, and organisers say they expect a large contingent of Scottish gay, lesbian and bisexual firefighters. Fire Brigades Union secretary Kenny Ross commented:

"There will be no repeat of the nonsense of last year. Lothian and Borders Fire Service will have members joining in the event, so will the police."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 9th Apr 2007, 01:37pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 3,416
How lucky for Glasgow. Pity about Edinburgh though.

--------------------
One of lifes chosen. I am a Scot

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 9th Apr 2007, 03:24pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
mad.gif I recall that news last year & believe I posted my views within its topic.I did not agree that any of the firemen involved should have been forced to attend a gaypride street parade due to the constant exposures to jibes from public & or some inadvertant gaypride mockery of the firemen to be looked upon as icons of a sexual display in support of them rather than a team of true firefighters utelising the time to carry out their job via delivery of fire prevention materials to the mass public. Iam no Gay Basher in fact I know some Gay people personaly & they accept me as Iam & I accept them as they are ,I will hug them & embrace them as decent humanbeings but I will never endorse nor embrace what they do amidst their lifestyles not only in private but now in public too since it then involves my life being affected moraly as the Gay pride shove their sexuality down my neck as something I must accept.If my child came to me & said they are Gay, Iam sure it will not be what I wanted for them(since I hope for grandchildren one day) but I will never reject them I would still love them & hug them But I wont want to know what they do within their private lives as its not my business.It is my Bussiness when something is thrust forth into my face & rammed down my neck as being correct when in my heart I have chosen to believe otherwise,lets agree to disagree let them who want to assist help & them whom do not want to help then dont send them. when clearly you can send others whom want to assist Gaypride marches etc.

Edinburgh it seems is a better place for these marches since Iam sure as the Capital of Scotland it will draw more attentions to gay pride & their movement on a whole as well as perhaps be a larger area with more fire stations within it to povide firemen whom are willing to respond to that particular portion of the job in regards to fire preventions data to mass public(if not then give firemen whom choose to help from all fire stations a chance to experience the day). My only hope is Edinburghs firemen will be treated wisely & less publicly & Be approached moreso on a voluntary level than the publicised bedlam the poor Glaswegian firemen found themselves amidst last year

Good hard working men of differing opinions were threatened & punished for their so called non support of their jobs & Gays too amidst the Gay pride novement marches.Why did that even have to occurr in support of Gaypride at all Edinburghs welcome to them thats all I can say. The so called Gay pride in being Gay are hardly being fare if a non gay firemen with seperate & differing morals such as the abovementioned glasgow firemen had & were called out publicly & humiliated for not complying with their job to march in the midst of ridiculing thoughts & judgements of others looking at them as more than simply firemen delivering fire prevention & it doesnt take a mastermind to see that Gay pride often use the fireman as an iconic sexual symbol of being Gay.

Why should the firemen be forced into having to comply with gaypride rights & attend & promote the gay pridemarch whilst in all aspects of their sexual origins,religeous belief systems & morals They (the firemen) were being cast aside in order to promote fire preventions to mass crowds while Gay sexualitys are being thrust forth into the public arena at the same time ,who will pay attention to the firemens leaflets ???????????? Firemen at the cost of their own beliefs etc & their sexuality on display against their will & what for ? oh yes thats right in order to support fire prevention in a gay pride march even though they moraly think it is wrong,their guilty as charged then...................NOT!!.
Lets Hope Edinburgh gets it correct this time & avoid the mess of last year & ask their Firemen to volunteer their services that day instead of attacking the men which they did last year thus making it a huge media sensation & a cruel hardship for those usualy dutifull men as insubordinates when truthfully all they were was simply not in agreement to appear with gaypride . Has it come to this wherein the minority overule the majority for their political agendas yet again!

It is becoming a dangerous thing to have an opinion that differs from the Gays sexuality preference since when you get down to the nitty gritty that is all it is, is it not just a lifestyle choice? Unlike the poor firemen of last year I dont owe Gaypride a reasonable reason or excuse for my beliefs nor will I offer apology or lose my job for being of opposing opinions to those whom are gay either. No Iam not a Gay Basher either so save your hands the typing,I have my opinions Iam keeping them.Good luck Edinburgh you will need it since where theres Gay pride troubles are bound to follow,Don`t know if there were any insubordinate policemen last year However it matters none since like the firemen the police force are looked upon to carry out public duty of care so Good luck to all non Gay folk on Gay pride day.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Elma
post 9th Apr 2007, 04:59pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Isn't it time we had a "Straight Pride Day" parade. If the gays can flaunt their sexuality in public surely we can too!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
championi26
post 9th Apr 2007, 05:39pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
Its good to see the anti gay feelings come from outside the City,and we are a little bit more open here....I for one think its a shame when we lose ANY events to other Cities...as they bring most welcomed Tourism here..along with many £££££££££££

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 9th Apr 2007, 06:51pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
I have seen the gay pride parade on television here in Toronto with the way they were dressed and carried on it certainly was not what i would have taken my kids to or my grandkids to see

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 9th Apr 2007, 07:20pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Championi 26 you never fail to amuse me ,How you can grieve cash lost by Gay pride movements march for & within Glasgow & call yourself more open or at least Glasgow is more open than us, then you in the same breath chastise inderectly 2 major tourists whom have & will revisit Glasgow & spend plenty from the moment they exit the plane in Glasgows fair city so Championi we are outsiders in your eyes then are we?tuttut what a nasty attitude to your expats we are tourists with whole familys still contributing there man what are you thinking? incedently I have to buy my pound sterling at 2 & a half dollars a pop so perhaps me as an outsider shouldnt regularly bother with spending my cash in your fair city since Iam a non open outsider that may well add cash to your society regularly, seems as though we Ems you & I are tourists being treated as outsiders. you have given me insight into your very own hostile attitude that reeks of dissmissal to those whom are expats touring their hometown which is their birthright may I add we are not outsiders at all & still have family there daily contributing to that same society as well as contributing to your economy in other fashions ie pension funds etc shares & the likes so lets not get mean to the expats championi26 by the way you go on about us being outsiders worth rejecting yet we are the sort of people that contribute to Glasgow yet
you eagerly welcome sexual deviations instead tuttut!

Cameron I have no idea why anyone would want to take their kids to such an event & I wonder would they do it as quickly if it were prostitutes both male & female showing & selling their wears in a parade,me thinks probably not this march is an embarrass ment to Glasgow let Edinburgh have it & there will still be a steady stream of folk who shall want bonnie Glasgow in their intinery due to the fact that march isnt on in Glasgow thus why how come they can visit Glasgow that day to get away from all the devations etc so Glasgow just may well do better than your pessamistic views anticipated Championi26.

--------------------

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 9th Apr 2007, 07:43pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
2 gays hosting Scotlands new year
show WHAT next

+Quote Post
championi26
post 9th Apr 2007, 08:18pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
I never ever said anything about you being an outsider linda....we are all from the same stock in our fair city....just doesnt seem right to call people of a different sexual oriantation devients....Ihave seen the gay pride twice and It was all good fun...be a bit more open minded..we all have opinions....on how we should live our lives...I never realised there was so much anti gay feelings here ...............life is too short to argue or squabble

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 9th Apr 2007, 08:37pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Lindamac,
Are you sure you read the same post by Champ 26 as I did? That post seemed a rather mild reply to a highly (for some) controversial subject! unsure.gif

On the other hand your response was a bit vehement. Wow.

Sorry, Glasgow has seen so much damage done to it by past intolerence that it seems a shame to see we ex-pats add fuel to the flames. sad.gif

GB

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 9th Apr 2007, 08:48pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi, Champ

Sorry, our posts must have crossed paths rolleyes.gif

Something is amiss here and I would be very surprised if we do not hear from some of the other members on this. It's early times yet, I think. unsure.gif
GB

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 9th Apr 2007, 11:10pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Is it just gay people that participate in this festival?I had no idea there was one held in Glasgow.I am more familiar with the gay carnival held in Sydney every year, they televise it.A lot of people gay and straight go to watch it and it is by all accounts a good night out.
I am not opposed to gay people , but I do feel it is uncalled for that they have to flaunt their sexuality so openly and flamboyantly in public.If everybody could participate and have a laugh, get dressed up and do their own thing for a day would it take away the stigma of it being a gay carnival?

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 10th Apr 2007, 01:24am
Post #13

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
"I do feel it is uncalled for that they have to flaunt their sexuality so openly and flamboyantly in public."

I think the reason they do this is because, in order to avoid persecution, they were obliged for many years to make sure that the matter of their sexuality did not become public.

On the matter of the firemen, I don’t think it can be right to refuse to promote public safety on “moral grounds”.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 10th Apr 2007, 01:29am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Well I think it's a shame I really do.

I think Glasgow would have shown the World given the chance, that the same mistakes wouldn't have been made again.

I for one am disappointed.
{Chookie check ma spellin...ah remembert} laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 10th Apr 2007, 05:32am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Okydoaky Championi26 & GB so perhaps your judgements of me being vehment & the fact that Chasmpioni has began his post with the sentence..................................."It is good to see that anti Gay feelings come from outside the city,and we are a little bit more open here"...........................Championi I read that as you suggesting you were glad the anti gay attitudes I had submitted via my post came from outside the city since Glasgow & Its folk are more open. Please then explain what part of that sentence doesnt create an outlook of me being an outsider to Glasgow? & tell me please do,your inuendo that why should I be seen & regarded as closed to the openness of Gays sexuality? I stated my honest opinion straight to the point based upon your post which in its appearances excluded me as an oustsider with no rights to have a closed mind on gay sexuality I have as much right to remain closed as you & Glasgow have to being openminded do I not?

I would clearly like that explained if your post was misunderstood by me then do please set me straight but dont cast me down for not having your opinions please as my opinions are as valid as anyone elses. since my own understanding of the English language is all I have & is the only way I could read your statements with then show me please exactly what it was you truly meant if it is me at fault here & misinterpreting your posts,whilst Iam on this subject i actualy read between your lines & I felt you said it with a point of tuttut yourself towards people outwith Glasgow whom arent as open as Glasgow what else does your post mean then if it was not that iam speaking as a closed minded outsider from Glasgow person? how else can what you say be interpretated? It also appears to me that you backfired on your statement somewhat when you say in one hand Glasgow needs the cash these things bring then on the otherhand you sort of appeared to me as contradictory when you spoke of being glad it was others outside responsable for their closed attitudes etc mate the cash comes to Glasgow via folk like expats regularly so what do you mean? outsiders not living in Glasgow spend regularly & whom can determine wether or not Glasgow will or wont get share of the profits anyways since there are others like me in your opinon whom are closed minded & may want to escape the Gaymovement into Glasgow for a cultured day out wherein they will spend time & moneys within glasgow instead of Edinburgh,are you so qualifyed in all your topic arenas that you know for sure Glasgow will suffer loss & anyway as an advocate of Glasgow you insulted me to a degree wether or not it was direct or indirect you made your feelings clear about me at the start.I would appreciate both yourself & GB explaining to me what I have done so wrong that Iam vvehement?your explanations for clarity would be appreciated Thankyou..

Since your posts & mines have brought a certain level of judgement from GB towards me as well as your self,I will stand & be counted. However indirectly you want to say it that is how it reads to my interpretations of the English language as I understand it. GB what are you suggesting regarding your statement wherein you state "sorry,Glasgow has seen so much damage to it that it seems a shame to see we expats add fuel to the flames" what did you mean when you furthermore state within post 7 that something is very amiss here I would be surprised if we do not here from some of the other members on this,it is early times yet" what do you mean here? seems to me you also pass judgement upon me to the point of chastising me for my opinons & post ,accusing me of being vehement. I say that is a bit unfair of you to state this to me,Iam wondering what attitude you are using GB? theres no sides in discussions & debates topics are subjects for debates opinions & personal choices being portrayed just because Iam outside Glasgow & dont want to support Gay pride movements doesnt make me anti gay it just makes my sexuality preference as one that is preferred as opposite to gays & to remain private would anyone take their kids to a sex industry parade? gay pride movement is renowned for displays of their sexuality by way of costumery & floats depicting half naked people displaying physical touch & kissing to all the world on purpose to expose their sexual preference hence why I sort of agreed with Ems post as amusing also when shesort of mentioned about straight parades or words to suchlike effect. Iam almost feeling like theres judgements & threat to me because of my opinions I already have stated time & again why cant we have our say & agree to disagree it saves the nonsense that arises wherein people get taken out of context etc I stand by what my opinions are &all should stay with the boundaries of our own posts instead of picking at & judgeing other folks posts,why cant one just read the posts disagree state that & agree to move along Iam not looking for any trouble with anyone here seems to me iam being judged unfairly for my posts.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.