Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shettleston
Rating 5 V
bilbo.s
post 10th Apr 2008, 08:38am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Jam jars fetched a halfpenny and ginger bottles 2d.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 10th Apr 2008, 12:11pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Hi Bilbo,

I've found plenty of people who had heard of cinemas which took jam jars in the twenties but never heard from anyone who actually did it.

I take it we're talking 1951/53 here. Did the cinema accept jam jars or did you take them to a shop to trade them in? Was there a deposit on jam jars?

Anybody else here ever take jam jars and trade them for cash or entry to a cinema?

+Quote Post
Millymouse
post 11th Apr 2008, 07:19am
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 2,602
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Apr 2008, 08:33 AM) *
I wasn't born in Shettleston but my mother went to Plains, Airdrie to give birth and I moved back to Shettleston at 6 days old on 6 June 1942. We stayed in a big semi-ruin called Wellshot House at 822 Shettleston Road, across from Deans pub.

On reflection. the area was like Little Italy with all the cafes, chipshops etc.- even the barber was Italian (Peter Eusebi) and also our doctor (Peter Capaldi).

I went to Shettleston Public School until I was 9, when I moved to Glasgow High ( my father wasn't well-off but it was the decision of my 2 maiden aunties who lived at no 822, next to the church. I suppose we were thought of as "toffs"but we were not snobs. My father was a bit eccentric in the way of collecting things and, at 10 years of age, I had not one bike but 5, which meant I had a lot of pals.

My favourite things were the Palaceum, when we saved up 14 jam jars to get sevenpence for the stalls. I remember seeing "Annie Get Your Gun" about 7 times.

My name is William Stewart and I later moved to North Mount Vernon (told you I was posh) with my aunties and my folks moved to Plains about 1954. I remember names like McCartin, Reilly, Milne, MacMillan, McLaughlin etc

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Apr 2008, 07:30am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Dexter:

We traded them in at a wee grocery store on Shettleston Road foe a ha'penny a time.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Apr 2008, 08:12am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Dexter:

We traded them in at a wee grocery store on Shettleston Road for a ha'penny a time. We also got cash there for discount coupons for soap powder etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
*joan wheatley*
post 20th May 2008, 02:31pm
Post #21

I was born in prefabs in Sheddens Pl. Near McKellar Watts. I went to St Marks primary then Charlotte Street. This was a great place to stay and I am still friendly with Eileen McGrath who lived opposite. Childhood was different then, you could happily go to parks and out to play without worry.
Always some new things to do rounders,kick the can,skipping ropes,not to mention scraps,peever etc. Great times.

+Quote Post
frankd2
post 26th May 2008, 05:33pm
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 5,377
SallyJ,
That was a lovely thing you did for your pal Rose!

+Quote Post
*Guest sally **
post 26th May 2008, 10:12pm
Post #23

Thank you i'm glad you liked it .Rose and I were friends since I was 5 yrs old.I have to share this with you too.Today I met an old school friend I havent seen for 49 years and she scannned 2 school photos I didnt have for me.I cant stop looking at them and the memories they have brought back!!!!!!!!!Did you come from Glasgow?thank you again for taking the time to e mail me

+Quote Post
Roderick MacGreg...
post 31st Jul 2008, 03:53pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,902
Calling all folks who were priveleged to be brought up in Sheddens Place. Great to see the names Joan Wheatley and Eileen MGrath above . It must be over 40 years since I saw you!
I am working in West Africa and was following the SkyNews coverage of the Glasgow east by-election last week and it hurt so much to see the way some of the area has become.
I was born in 15, Sheddens Place in 1950. The street was full of young couples starting a family after the war years. It was like a village of its own, and a pre-decessor to the "safe" cul-de-sacs of to-day with no through traffic. If any visiting child used bad language, any parent in the street would tell them to leave !
From the top of the street, the first pre-fab had an Old Shettleston Road address and housed the McKendricks; next house was the Conways, then the McGinn's and the dear Old Mrs Thompson at number 9. set back from the road behind a small green were the McKenzies; the Halls and us (the MacGregors at 15); then back to the road-side and there were the Grays' round the corner were the Dolans; then the Brackenriges; then the Wheatleys; then the Smiths; then the Canes and that took us to the 3 houses at the far end of the oval which backed onto the British Dyewood :-
The McColms; the Stapletons and the family with the dog called Shiela!
Then there was the row of houses which backed onto the railway, which were all demolished in the early sixties because the burn kept overflowing and really flooding out the families (Remember that photograph in the Daily Record, where they asked all the kids to sit along a fence which was almost covered in floodwater and just as the picture was about to be taken, the fence collapsed and the heading in the Record the next day bellowed "Drama as children swim for their lives in floods"!! )
The McQuades; then Mrs Crabbie; then the Clarks and the McGraths
Then there was a little break which accessed the burn and the coal works and one pre-fab road-side :- Mrs Lafferty
Then 3 houses set back from the road with a green in front and backing onto McTaggert and Mickels :-
The Menmuirs; The Morans; The smiths: Then roadside again The Parks; the Pollocks; and who? the the house at the top where a schoolteached lived and we thought he might be a millionaire because he owned a car! Wow!! I really enjoyed that trip down memory lane !

+Quote Post
Roderick MacGreg...
post 8th Aug 2008, 06:55am
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,902
Rod MacGregor Sheddens Place, Shettleston...... Realised I got some detail wrong in my post of 31st July! After the March family were the Cruikshanks' The Backenridges were the family in the top right corner round "the scheme" between the Stapletons and the McQuades. Remember a steam locomotive jumped the rails and ran down the embankment into their back garden? We were famous for a day! Also the family between the Pollocks and the top of the street were the McCleans

+Quote Post
*Michael Donnelly*
post 7th Mar 2009, 12:15pm
Post #26

Dear Readers, my name is Michael Donnelly, my father William was born in Grace Street anderson, around 1929-30. after his national service, he and my grandfather(also, michael donnelly) along with my grandmother, moved to pettiegrew st glasgow. i belive he was the first person to build a garden in the street at the time, around early 50,s. my father move to dundee in the late 50,s where he met and married my mother. from the age of around eight till i was around 12 i went every year to glasgow for my 6 week school holidays staying with my granparents and visiting all my relatives in glasgow. i have many fond memories of the state cinema and the odeon, where i saw many of films. my grandfather and father drunk in the marquiss and the drum pubs where i myself started around my 17th birthday lol i also have many memories of the apollo theatre and the savoy disco where i had many a great evening in glasgow city centre. so if there are any donnelly,s out there who this may ring a bell with please post a reply.

+Quote Post
Marnie
post 9th Mar 2009, 01:11pm
Post #27

Resident
Member No.: 6,507
Hi I am new to Shettleston site. I moved to Easterhouse from my beloved Possilpark in 1956. I started Wellshot Secondary in 1958, and have stayed in touch with my dear friends Roseann (Dunlop) Paton and Moira (Higgins) Condron. We all have great memories of Wellshot Secondary and were heartbroken to leave in 1961, Bilboa is correct I remember taking jam jars back to the grocery store for refunds when I was a child in Possilpark, in fact if you had a 2lb jar you could get a penny back. Bilboa we have a lot in common, Mount Vernon and the Central Hotel I believe you worked for my father in law.

+Quote Post
drew1952
post 9th Mar 2009, 03:16pm
Post #28

Visitor
Member No.: 6,582
Hello All, my Great Grandfather and Grand Father lived at Woodbank Barlinnie they both worked in the prison I think GG Dad was the Chief clerk of the prison. Can anyone tell me how near this is to Shettleston please.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 17th Mar 2009, 06:33pm
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
i used to live in 31 annick street,our neighbour was margaret and george thompson ,they had a family of 2 girls and a boy i think the girls were sylvia,and margo anne the boy was called george . margaret had a son thomas who lived with her mum.george's family lived in easterhouse? i remember he had a sister called terry.I remember when margaret and george were flitting they had a horse and cart ,halfway to the new house the horse keeled over and died on them,it was hilarious, they got slagged for that for ages. that would have been about 1970/71 i think. margaret came down to ayr to visit me with her youngest son lee, that was the last time i saw her. anybody know who it is i am talking about. i thinh they moved to garthamlock?

+Quote Post
*margaret wade nee ditty*
post 24th Apr 2009, 04:40am
Post #30

QUOTE (delia @ 6th Aug 2007, 03:22pm) *
I STAYED IN SHETTLESTON FROM 1934 TILL 1950 I STAYED IN PETTIGREW ST WE MOVED 2 POLLOCK AFTER I WAS MARRIED I STAY IN FAIRBURN ST NOW IN EAST KILBRIDE. LOVE 2 HEAR 4 ANYONE FROM ROUND ABOUT THERE DELIA

Hello Delia
My name is margaret and i live in Powell River B C Canada
Iwas born on Shettleston rd not far from the school where i went when i was five and then we moved to 915 shettleston rd above heneys grocery store at the time which was 1939 til 1954
when my family emmigrated to toronto. My mother was margaret glover and she married
campbell ditty but folks called him davie. I have cousins in the area but have lost touch.
My husband of fifty years would like to take one trip to scotland but its difficult to book not knowing how but we are working on it . I went to wellshot rd secondary school for a couple lof years before leaving for canada. Wonder if you could look in the telephone directory for
Glovers or Dittys in Shettleston or Parkhead. Wouldnt it be a miracle if you and i had known each other at one time. We lived almost on the cornet of Kenmore st and my name was
margaret ditty.

now to figure out how to send this regards margaret

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.