Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruchill
Old Grey
post 10th Jun 2011, 12:09am
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,954
Looks like there's very few people on this site from the old Barnes Rd area, I used to live in the prefabs at the top of the street #8 in the mid 40's to the mid 50's.
Does any body know what happened to Jimmy, John or Pat Inscn, Mickey Quinn or Pat Gallagher they all lived at the top of Barnes Rd in the first close of the tenements.

Frank Jones
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Young barnes roa...
post 29th Jun 2011, 11:22pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,134
QUOTE (brian mclintock @ 16th Aug 2008, 01:47am) *
hi sally
just reading your message, i am brian mclintock, junior (the good one), brian mclintock is my dad, and his dad was jimmy, who still lives in ruchill, in bisland court. and my mum is cathy, got four sisters kelly, claire, charlotte, and rebecca. my mum and dad also lived in fife for a short tme when they were first married. how are you?

brian i went about with your cousin james(hamish) as he was known top guy knew your dad too i stayed on the corner of arnold street peace

+Quote Post
Young barnes roa...
post 29th Jun 2011, 11:31pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,134
QUOTE (Old Grey @ 10th Jun 2011, 12:02am) *
Looks like there's very few people on this site from the old Barnes Rd area, I used to live in the prefabs at the top of the street #8 in the mid 40's to the mid 50's.
Does any body know what happened to Jimmy, John or Pat Inscn, Mickey Quinn or Pat Gallagher they all lived at the top of Barnes Rd in the first close of the tenements.

Frank Jones

there was a pat gallagher his wifes name was dot stayed in the first close at the hazlitt street end when i grew up there in the 80-90s peace be with you frank

+Quote Post
*Elizabeth Barton*
post 21st Dec 2011, 11:16am
Post #34

Hello,

I'm hoping someone maybe able to help me track down class pictures from Ruckhill Primary school in Ruckhill Glasgow between 1971 - 1978. My primary 6 & 7 teachers name was Miss Bruce. Who went onto marry the local Church Minister.

I'm an old pupil and would dearly love to see what I looked like back then. I don't have any pictures and neither do any of my family members. So if anyone could help, you would be making this the best Christmas ever?

Thanks in advance

Elizabeth

+Quote Post
*brian horsfield*
post 1st Jan 2012, 10:35pm
Post #35

hi all , i was born at 29 ruchill street (the canal close) beside the old wooden bridge , does anyone know where i can get any photos of this building i can get pics of the old church and the bridge even the cooperage but not that building , had some relations that lived in colgrain st (the dunns) and the farrells in ruchill st and i beleive chancy crawford is related in some way.

+Quote Post
Yogihughes
post 21st Jan 2012, 12:53pm
Post #36

Visitor
Member No.: 10,297
The Pat Gallagher mentioned with the Insches and Quinns lived at 3 Barnes Road (below the Insches) and was best pals with Billy Hughes (3 Barnes Rd) and Jim McLeod at no. 9 (above McArthurs).
I also remember Jones living in the prefabs as I grew up there until I joined the RAF in 1967.

+Quote Post
*oldgrey*
post 8th Feb 2012, 04:05pm
Post #37

QUOTE (Yogihughes @ 21st Jan 2012, 12:09pm) *
The Pat Gallagher mentioned with the Insches and Quinns lived at 3 Barnes Road (below the Insches) and was best pals with Billy Hughes (3 Barnes Rd) and Jim McLeod at no. 9 (above McArthurs).
I also remember Jones living in the prefabs as I grew up there until I joined the RAF in 1967.

I'm Frank Jones we lived in the prefabs (#8) I remember a Billy Hughes & Jim McLeod vaguely, we left Barnes Rd in the mid 1950's but the Pat Gallagher is the same person that you are talking about also little Mickey Quinn.
I also served in the RAF for my national service around 1958-61

+Quote Post
*oldgrey*
post 8th Feb 2012, 04:39pm
Post #38

QUOTE (CAMPSIE @ 4th Oct 2010, 11:02pm) *
I came to live in Ruchill around 1957/58 we lived in a street that had a big green int at the very he front like a triangle at the narrow end there were prefab houses. I cant remember the street name but later moved into Bilsland Dr. just around on the left. Does anyone know the Boll family Mrs Boll was know as Ma Boll she had seven daughters, at home were Betty, Edna Carol and Jean and Evelyn who went to work in America sadly now not with us.
I remember a Billy Currie, Bobby Watson who had a sister Brenda? and Sally Horton, and John Boyle, Franna McMillan, Ownie McCann.

I have some really bad memories but thankfully to the Boll family I have very good ones to.

We kids used to play over the fields on the other side of the railway tracks. I remember the fish and chip shop just before the railway bridge.

I also remember going to the Carrs Keg at Charing X does anyone remember it.

You and I are talking about the same place but at different times. We used to call the tiangular spare ground between Emerson St & Barnes Rd " THE SQUARE" and the fields over the railway tracks was "THE DAISY" I also remember the chippie on Bilsland Drive at the bridge.
Fond memories of those times, nice to read your post Campsie, Now living in Canada will be 73 in a couple of months, all the best.

+Quote Post
debbieanneuk
post 8th Feb 2012, 05:21pm
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,389
QUOTE (3Dayman @ 10th May 2007, 10:31am) *
God I remember that swing. Ye used tae dae a worky uppy oan it. Stayed in Cromer Street at the time. Many many fond memories of growing up there in the 70's.

Hi there,I grew up there too and also lived in cromer street(11),could possibly know you.I am Deborah Lawrie and have a brother Stephen and two sisters Maureen and Kirsty.Would love to know who you are.get back in touch if poss.Debbie

+Quote Post
*james mclintock*
post 7th Jul 2012, 08:36pm
Post #40

QUOTE (Young barnes road @ 30th Jun 2011, 12:37am) *
brian i went about with your cousin james(hamish) as he was known top guy knew your dad too i stayed on the corner of arnold street peace

That would be myself then Hamish ! who would this be? I remember the area well and have lots of fond memories growing up hear. Great times.

+Quote Post
PHC
post 14th Aug 2012, 11:09am
Post #41

Settling In
Member No.: 13,255
Anybody on here who attended the old Our Lady of the Assumption RC school at the top of Mayfield Street? Old wooden building, no longer there. Top two classes had to be housed in Ruchill Primary round in Leighton/Brassey Street.

+Quote Post
**jimmy**
post 17th Sep 2012, 10:33pm
Post #42

QUOTE (Young barnes road @ 30th Jun 2011, 12:46am) *
there was a pat gallagher his wifes name was dot stayed in the first close at the hazlitt street end when i grew up there in the 80-90s peace be with you frank

+Quote Post
**jimmy**
post 17th Sep 2012, 10:38pm
Post #43

QUOTE (Young barnes road @ 30th Jun 2011, 12:46am) *

I remember your family, they were friends with the mcsorleys from barnes road, also friends with the mc cartneys and dochertys, billy was a laugh, used to imitate the mad man stevie mcgraw.

+Quote Post
**jimmy**
post 17th Sep 2012, 10:49pm
Post #44

QUOTE (PHC @ 14th Aug 2012, 12:24pm) *
Anybody on here who attended the old Our Lady of the Assumption RC school at the top of Mayfield Street? Old wooden building, no longer there. Top two classes had to be housed in Ruchill Primary round in Leighton/Brassey Street.

I remember that, i went to the school and when it was closed down so we cold move to the new school built next to the chapel in bisland drive i cried but at least it was a lot closer to my house in barnes road.

+Quote Post
*Lilian McKeown*
post 24th Sep 2012, 01:26am
Post #45

QUOTE (PHC @ 14th Aug 2012, 12:24pm) *

The school was St Bernadettes and I started school there as well as my two brothers Jim and Tham McKeown. The headmistress was Mrs Bradley.
We lived at 201 Bilsland Drive and then moved to 78 Whitworth Street next to the swing park. Does anyone remember the shops across from the park? Staffords (two old sisters owned it). We always bought from the "penny tray" frozen jubillees etc ... Leos chippy.... The dairy where "wee Agnes" worked and the chemist and post office and a baby wear shop. I know a few names mentioned on here and it brngs back memories.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.