Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruchazie
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:03pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Ruchazie

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Ruchazie

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Margaret Spencer*
post 28th Aug 2011, 05:15pm
Post #2

Just browsed and found this page; My name is Margaret Spencer,I lived in Ruchazie between 1955-1969, first lived in Craighouse Street and pals with Rosemary McCann, Alice McCaffery, Remeber Jessie Wotherspoon, Ronald Bergin(his mum was my mums best friend, we called her Auntie Ella).

We then moved to Drumlochy Road and we lived next door to Linda Merrilees. Mrs Dick lived on the other side, Our ball went in to her garden one day and she told us she had stuck a knife in it; but on the Sunday we saw her ger on the Parkhead bus (the bus stop was opposite our house) with the ball, she was taking it to her grandson!!!! (wiked old Bisom) Also the Hughs's- Hellen, Cathleen, The twins- Edward and Gerald, Stella and Annmarie, There were also the Orsies (Hazel and I think she had a brother John and maybe a sister too? and the Sneddons who lived in the very last house in the row, I'm sorry if I can't remember more of you ( it was over 40 years ago)but, if you remember me or my brothers or sisters (Michael, Susan, Matthew, James, Maria and Hugh) please reply.

From there we moved to Boghall Street - opposite St Philips church and school. We lived next door to Thomas Tiffany, I was at school with Elizabeth McGee, Mary O'Donnel Margaret Stevenson, Ellanor Tassie, Francis Farrell, Thomas Fearnan, Jim Diamon (yes that one) Maureen McGregor. Margaret Robinson (or Robertson, sorry) Anne Aitken (now Vance) Mary Jane kirwan, Georgina McFaddgen and I used to babysit for the Docherty family who moved in to the top floor flat. I would love to hear peoples memories of Ruchazie, and the street games we played.Ruchazie

+Quote Post
benny
post 28th Aug 2011, 07:36pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I lived in Ruchazie from 1953 to about 1957, at 47 Milncroft Road - the 5 apartments. Our neighbours were :

1) The Banks family. Mr Banks was a postman Mrs Banks was English and - at that time - they had 5 daughters. Pauline, Patricia, Marion, Bernadette and Anita.

2) The Paterson family. Mr and Mrs Paterson, John, Eveline, May, Annie and, I think Cathie. There was also Fred - the lodger - who drove Crolla's ice-cream van and had a gold mine in Canada, or at least shares in one.

3) The Wilsons. The ones I remember are Mr and Mrs Wilson, Marianne, John, David, Ronnie, Robert and the bairn Laura.

4) The Docherty family. This was a big family. Apart from the parents, I can remember Tommy, Frank, Joe, and Brian the youngest boy, and Winnie, Cathie, Phyllis, Patricia and Dorothy for the girls. I believe there were also a few married family members - all in all, I think there were 18 in the family, including the married ones.

5) I think it was a family by the name of Mills who lived in the end hoose, but I couldn't swear to it after all this time.

I was only 5 when we moved to Ruchazie and about 9 when we flitted to Cranhill, while I was in hospital with Rheumatic Fever. A couple of my sisters had got married, my brother had gone to the Army, and the 5 apartment was too big for us - at least by the standardsd of those days.

My own family (O'Hara) consisted of my Ma and Da, my eldest sister Molly, then Betty, Charlie, Jenny, Josie, Cathie and myself Thomas, the youngest.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
zascot
post 29th Aug 2011, 05:56am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Im Alex. Rae lived at 32 Milncroft rd, opposite Elibank st. in our close were thhe Stevensons,Kings, Smiths,Fullertons,Frazers and Doigs, ran about with John Law and John Little. I went to St Philips and St Gregory`s. Knew Jim Diamonds Brother Laurie the Coils, Hyslops, Prices had good memories of Ruchazie moved there in 55 from Townhead then moved to Riddrie in 62 then out to South Africa in 71.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 3rd Feb 2012, 02:47pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
I stayed in Ruchazie from 1958-69 .I moved from Townhead and our house was at no 15 Craighouse Street ,right on the corner with Caprington street .People i remember are , The Donneleys ,the Merilees,the Raeburns ,John,Allan,Eddie ,Alan(nicky) Christine,Mary and Ina ,the Cassidy's The Rennies, Joe Mcmannus , Teddy and Charlie Crawford ,Willy Black ,Jim Cartwright ,Alec Smith .The Wrigglies (spel) The Dawsons .Teuchter Mckenzie.

I went to Ruchazie primary then Garthamlock secondary schools .Ruchazie was a great scheme then and i have many great memories .

If anybody knows any of these names i would love to hear from the them .

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 3rd Feb 2012, 03:48pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (weelew @ 3rd Feb 2012, 03:03pm) *
I stayed in Ruchazie from 1958-69 .I moved from Townhead and our house was at no 15 Craighouse Street ,right on the corner with Caprington street .People i remember are , The Donneleys ,the Merilees,the Raeburns ,John,Allan,Eddie ,Alan(nicky) Christine,Mary and Ina ,the Cassidy's The Rennies, Joe Mcmannus , Teddy and Charlie Crawford ,Willy Black ,Jim Cartwright ,Alec Smith .The Wrigglies (spel) The Dawsons .Teuchter Mckenzie.

I went to Ruchazie primary then Garthamlock secondary schools .Ruchazie was a great scheme then and i have many great memories .

If anybody knows any of these names i would love to hear from the them .

Hi Weelew suprised you never metioned the Dukes who lived at 38 Craighouse st from the mid 50s up until the 90s my wife is one of them and my brother in-law Wullie Rigley also married into the family, unfortunetly Wullie died of Asbestosis a few years ago but the rest of his brothers are still living in Glasgow.
One of the grandkids is a DJ/Presenter on one of the local radio stations Christopher (Chris) Duke

+Quote Post
weelew
post 5th Feb 2012, 12:17am
Post #7

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 3rd Feb 2012, 04:04pm) *
Hi Weelew suprised you never metioned the Dukes who lived at 38 Craighouse st from the mid 50s up until the 90s my wife is one of them and my brother in-law Wullie Rigley also married into the family, unfortunetly Wullie died of Asbestosis a few years ago but the rest of his brothers are still living in Glasgow.
One of the grandkids is a DJ/Presenter on one of the local radio stations Christopher (Chris) Duke

Hi Davy i think we communicated before about t the Duke 's Ruby and i think Josephine if i remember correctly .My7 PC went on the blink and because i had problems witn my eyes through diabetes i did not get another untill recently when i got an op in one of my eyes which helped me a lot .I was stuggling with one of my daughter's laptops which was murder to see . Did you or your wife recognise any of the other names i mentioned .

Regards
Weelew

+Quote Post
margie
post 5th Feb 2012, 02:22am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hi All, Did any of you know a guy called Jim Hutchison? I think he lived in Drumlochy Rd in the early sixties. cheers Margie. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
weelew
post 5th Feb 2012, 10:09am
Post #9

City Key Holder
Hi margie , I went to school with a guy called Jim Hutchinson ,but i think he stayed in Croftcroin road ,may be mistaken .

+Quote Post
margie
post 5th Feb 2012, 12:16pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hi Weelew, Thanks for reply. Maybe it,s the same one but when I knew him he lived in Drumlochy Rd. What school did you go to? cheers Margie.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 5th Feb 2012, 12:46pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
Hi Margie ,i went to Ruchazie primary the on to Garthamlock secondary.

+Quote Post
**Irene Seddon**
post 5th Feb 2012, 12:52pm
Post #12

Does anyone remember a John Buchanan? He had a sister called Grace, his Father was called Robert. They used to live in Bridgeton in the early 50's, then moved, if I remember to Ruchazie Square. He used to be in the Bridgeton Boys Brigade. Their Captain was A Tommy? Corrigan who married a Guide leader from Morecambe. Wondered if John was still alive and well.

+Quote Post
irene seddon
post 5th Feb 2012, 01:12pm
Post #13

Settling In
Member No.: 11,516
Do not know if I was logged in on my last reply! Does anyone remember a John Buchanan, his sister was Grace and his Father was Robert. He moved to Ruchazie Square (I think) from Bridgeton in about 1954. he was a member of the Bridgeton Boys Brigade, who's Captain was called Tommy Corrigan. Captain Corrigan married a Guide Leader from Morecambe. Wondered what became of John?

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 5th Feb 2012, 04:01pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Hi I lived on Claypotts Road #5, moved there around 1954. The house was brand new.Having a bathroom was fantastic. We wanted to have a bath every night.Trying to remember who lived up our close.There was a girl in the close Irene Dawson, On the second floor Doreen Hussey. Her father was a bus driver.Then across the road was the Purcell's.Eight girls
I remember that Docherty family . There was also a big family that lived on Balmoral st, they were called Dalbeck's . Craigend St Sadie Jackie and Anne Alen, The Gilligan's, Three girls .Phil Marie and Roseanne. Anna Flynn ,high Ruchazie. The Doyle's on Balcomie st. Jo ,Jack Maureen and Phylis.The Oliphant family two boys . Oh I am trying to remember ,I see the faces but cant remember all the names. There was a nice family up the next close to us on Claypotts the Ballantynes three kids Gerrard and two girls .I went to St Thomas's because there were no schools when we moved in. Stayed there until I moved on to Charlotte St.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 6th Feb 2012, 07:17am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (weelew @ 5th Feb 2012, 12:33am) *
Hi Davy i think we communicated before about t the Duke 's Ruby and i think Josephine if i remember correctly .My7 PC went on the blink and because i had problems witn my eyes through diabetes i did not get another untill recently when i got an op in one of my eyes which helped me a lot .I was stuggling with one of my daughter's laptops which was murder to see . Did you or your wife recognise any of the other names i mentioned .

Regards
Weelew

Hi Weelew

I think your right we did talk a while ago about this, Josephine is my wife while Ruby was married to Wullie Rigley.
My wife said that Joe Mcmannus was her first love wub.gif but she dosent know any of the other names.
She asked if you remembered the Knoxs, Webbs, Harvies and Bensons who all lived in the five apartments as well as the Nuns that lived in one of the houses facing onto Caprington st

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.