Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1182 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possilpark
Rating 4 V
Dunkeld
post 31st Jul 2008, 05:30pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,903
I lived at Mansion St for the first 14 years of my life. Educated at East Keppoch, followed by Possilpark Secondary School. I remember the Vogue; The Astoria; The Mecca for pictures. Saracen St of course, for a pie shop there.
Pals Drew Reid, from my tenement, Billy Mallis from Mansion St. Billy Grieg and Billy Johnson, fishing pals from Hawthorn St. Jim Taylor; Jim Clark. Heather St George, Helen Rankin, Netta Clooney, from East Keppoch. Jim Cromb, Tom Hatch, from Possil sec School.
It's a strange world. I lived in England for over 30 years. Spain for a bit, now I find myself in China. I would be happy to hear from any old pals or schoolmates. Boy! have I got some tales to tell!! Looking through these post though I'm not the only one who wandered. Not the only one who could spin a few yarns.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sylviajane
post 31st Jul 2008, 09:05pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 5,875
Hi Dunkeld, What no. of Mansion Street were you at? I was at 68 above the pub from 1958-1973

+Quote Post
Dunkeld
post 1st Aug 2008, 03:28am
Post #18

Unpacking
Hi SylviaJane. I lived at 75 across the road from you. My Pal John Mallis lived in your block I think. We moved in 1964

+Quote Post
sylviajane
post 1st Aug 2008, 04:16am
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 5,875
Ah yes I remember the Mallens they were next door to us....

Small world!

So you were next door to McDonalds the grocer?

Where are you now?

+Quote Post
Dunkeld
post 1st Aug 2008, 06:58am
Post #20

Unpacking
I was 3 doors down From Mr McDonalds. Do you remember the wee Tallis? The boys were Marco and Romano Di Giulio. Mario Di Guilio ran the shop. Mario was the father. Battersby's the butchers was 50 yards further down on the same side. I'm trying to remember the newsagents that was near Battersby's D.A Campbell was the off licence at the Hawthorn St end of Saracen st.
Colin Scullion was opposite you, next to MCDonalds. Maybe you remember Francis and Gerald Lynch too. I guess at 73 Mansion St.
Billy Dallas on your side married my pal Drew Rieds sister Sandra. They had blonde twin stepsisters Angela and Andrea.

+Quote Post
*McCann*
post 16th Aug 2008, 01:38am
Post #21

my mother lived in no, 85 Denmark street in the early 60's, for the first few year of her life, next to the bookies, and the clinic, 85 Denmark street is now situated across the road and is the health centre. She remembers Mclaughins the bakers, Vanity fayre, and the lido cafe, (not sure if thats stil there). later moved to bisland drive, ruchill

+Quote Post
*Dave Shearer*
post 23rd Aug 2008, 10:51am
Post #22

Born 42 Sunnylaw Street 1963

went to St Cuthberts from 68- 69

moved to Parkhouse 69

went to St Augustines from 69 - 79

my da was brought up in square from 1930s with his brothers and sisters, Ralph , George , Tommy Betty , annie , my dad John who was was a Carterby profession when he was young boy. until 1942 called to Arms until 1947. his family worked at Rollox Springburn.

Then after war worked as a lorry driver until late 50s and i beleive he became first TOA Taxi driver in square

known to all as Spot we where a normal sized family i had 4 brothers and 1 sister

Alice, Robert, Marshall, Andy, Johnny and myself

as young boy i remembered a few neighbours Wilkies next door to us upstairs Smiths next closes the McKinnelys and of course the Coopers and there was another person who used to come to our house from Back of our street all i remember was he was called Jimmy the painter reasons unknown lol biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Dave Shearer*
post 23rd Aug 2008, 11:08am
Post #23

QUOTE (flam @ 16th Mar 2008, 02:57pm) *
Hi Corrigan.You would probably remember the Police Box,The ladies and Gents toilets,McManus,s Pawn,Perottis Fish and Chip shop {Later to become Peter Buonacorsis-Peters Snacks} Sammy Devines fruit shop,The Laundrette,Hacksons,The Saracen pubs,The Possil Picture House,Bennetts,and Forresters Stores and many more within a 100 Yards of Saracen Cross Cheers Flim

I forgot about them toilets where spotless well looked after , Pawn shop brings back the memory of reading in Times that found someones body stuck down the chimmney when it was getting pulled down. i remember also time i brought my dads good suit there with a note for casheir from my maw going up those dark stairs until you reached the office with its big wooden doors for peoples privacy scarey thing those days for a young boy and if they didney take it aff you you went across the road to the other pawn office to try your luck biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JanetteMc
post 6th Sep 2008, 07:34am
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,019
QUOTE (buntyq @ 1st May 2007, 12:39am) *
What a great idea, Martin. You've started something. This Board will go on for years. My family moved from Springburn, where I was born, to Possilpark when I was about six. During my visit home in 2005 I was pleased to see that the closes where I lived in Ardoch Street are still there but I think the wee Methodist church is gone as well as the Church of Scotland at the corner of Bardowie Street. I left Possilpark in 1948 for America when it was still a thriving district of working folks. The Wee Possil was our first picture house. That was where my mother took me to see "The Raven" and I had nightmares for months. Poor soul, she thought it would be about birds!! The name was changed to The Avon when the Mecca was built - a wee bit more classy. Bardowie Street. I can just taste the fish and chips dowsed with vinegar from Perrotis. I lately read that the Scots use lemon on their fish and chips - no for me. Next door to Perrotis was the bakery where I could buy a bag of broken biscuits or fetch a loaf of Cuttin' Bread (day old) with the black and white crusts. (On my first visit back when my Dad died I brought a loaf back to America. I was so scared Customs would take it from me.) Next to the bakery was Gilchrist the Butcher. My mother always had her mince ground from a piece of meat. She said they put rubbish into the readymade mince. Our M.D. had his practice on that side of the street. For the long wait, if you weren't that sick when you went in chances are you would come out with something.

Someone take it from there or else I will be hogging the Board.

+Quote Post
JanetteMc
post 6th Sep 2008, 07:47am
Post #25

Unpacking
I was born at 26 Allander St,Possilpark,when I was 15.I worked in Perrotis fish and chip shop with my 2 sisters, the Perrotis were great people, their real name was Bonnacorsi. my auntie lizzy McVey lived most of her life in Sunnylaw Street,anyone remember them? My name was Janie Connor, married dad or Robert McCormack from Stronend Street. Have lived in California for 32 years now.Iwent to StTeresas primary school then St.Cuthberts. Would like to here from somebody from Possil or Cumbernauld.My first time on this site. Bye for now.

+Quote Post
JanetteMc
post 6th Sep 2008, 07:54am
Post #26

Unpacking
QUOTE (Dave Shearer @ 23rd Aug 2008, 11:55am) *

moved to Parkhouse 69

my da was brought up in square from 1930s with his brothers and sisters, Ralph , George , Tommy Betty , annie , my dad John who was was a Carterby profession when he was young boy. until 1942 called to Arms until 1947. his family worked at Rollox Springburn.

Then after war worked as a lorry driver until late 50s and i beleive he became first TOA Taxi driver in square

known to all as Spot we where a normal sized family i had 4 brothers and 1 sister

as young boy i remembered a few neighbours Wilkies next door to us upstairs Smiths next closes the McKinnelys and of course the Coopers and there was another person who used to come to our house from Back of our street all i remember was he was called Jimmy the painter reasons unknown lol biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JanetteMc
post 6th Sep 2008, 08:03am
Post #27

Unpacking
My dad worked as a die-caster at St. Rollox Foundry,I also went to St, Cuthberts in 1957/60 I actually qualified to go to St.Augustine's but my dad got drunk and spent the money for my uniform at the pub and the bookies.So I never got to go there,I remember the pawnshops very well, my dad called his suit the weekend suit, because Monday through Friday it belonged to McManus the pawnshop, however I would never trade one of those days for anything,they were the happiest days of my life/ Bye for now.

+Quote Post
Isabella
post 18th Sep 2008, 07:07am
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,633
QUOTE (sylviajane @ 31st Jul 2008, 10:09pm) *
Hi Dunkeld, What no. of Mansion Street were you at? I was at 68 above the pub from 1958-1973

+Quote Post
Isabella
post 18th Sep 2008, 07:13am
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,633
Hi Did you by any chance know the Carroll Family they lived in Mansion Street at the corner of Saracen Street.The lived there for quite a number of years there were 3 boys, Joe,James and Peter and a girl named Alice.

+Quote Post
brian432
post 28th Sep 2008, 08:41am
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
QUOTE (Dave Shearer @ 23rd Aug 2008, 11:55am) *

moved to Parkhouse 69

G'day Dave
I remember your family. I lived at 34 directly under the McKinnelys. I think I'm around the same age as your brother Marshall. Do you remember the Flavells, Majors, Higgins or Robbs? I remember when your Da drove a taxi.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post

1182 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.