Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pollok
Rating 5 V
*Guest*
post 28th Jul 2009, 08:57am
Post #16

Hi all. The wee hut in the park was one of the first summer play shemes. Mrs Lafferty was in charge. Lots of rounders played as I remember.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**curly sue**
post 23rd Dec 2009, 02:32am
Post #17

hopefully i will get it right this time, the site link is:

http://househill-community-youth-forum.webs.com

QUOTE (curly @ 29th Jun 2009, 12:49am) *
Hi Esther,

posted a link the other day dnt know if it worked, so I will post it again.

www.househill-community-youth-forum.webs.com

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 20th Jan 2010, 06:19pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
Thanks for the link Sue, i'll check it out later. I go over that bridge about three times a wee. My Mum lives in hartstone road and I visit her often.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
sousidemedic
post 2nd Mar 2010, 06:11am
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,184
All good memories folks, this is a good wee site. I lived in Lunderston Dr and remember the adventure playground with the wee social hut for playing table tennis, softball, rounders and football, all overseen by coaches in the summer. Who remembers gettin permits for the swimming at Craigy during the summer too? And dinner tickets for free meals in the summer holidays. I went to St Roberts, Houshillmuir, St Ignatius and Bellarmine. We'd go to shool camps at Fraserburgh and Dornoch, living in the classrooms of their Academies which were transformed into dormitories. I had too many pals to mention in those days, guys like John Connor, Alex MacNeill, Gary Cummins among lots of others.

+Quote Post
**Cateferguson2000@y**
post 17th Mar 2010, 09:27am
Post #20

Hi there, I was born in Old Pollok (Carnock Road) and lived there until I was 24. Went to school in Langton Road and then to Crookston Castle (all gone now!) I remember such a lot. My uncle, aunt and family lived in Househillwood (Haughburn Road) in the days before the whole area became known as Greater Pollok which I don't like. The individual names were so much better. My pal lived in Cornalee Road. There weren't many kids in Carnock Road but I do remember sisters Dorothy and Marjorie Smith. Also Paul who lived at the bottom of the road.

+Quote Post
**tab1980**
post 7th Jun 2010, 08:08am
Post #21

QUOTE (Sheenat1956 @ 16th May 2008, 10:58pm) *
I LIved in 2 Bargarren road in the late 60.s and early 70,s . I worked in the news agents when it was Strangs for a few years . I cant seem to find Bargarren on any map is it still there does anyone know. Its near the 50 terminus just off Cathill.

Hi, Your spelling it wrong it's Bargaran Road and its Calfhill. Hopefully you should find it on Google Maps now.

+Quote Post
plays54
post 22nd Nov 2010, 01:53pm
Post #22

Settling In
Member No.: 2,985
Used to visit Pollock frequently in my childhood in the late 50's / early 60's. My dad's parents lived there with his brothers and sisters. It seemed an awful long way away at the time as we used to travel over from Scotstoun by bus, underground and walking. We used to walk down from Paisley Road West to Mosspark Station and cross the White Cart Water. My grandparent's lived in Ladymuir Crescent. I used to stay over quite a lot and remember the shops opposite their house where I would often go over for loaves of bread, rolls or milk, or sweets. Remember playing around Linthaugh Road, Dormanside Road, Mieklerigg Crescent, and Templeland Road, and the occassional visit down to Crookston Castle if I could talk my dad's brothers into taking me there. Also remember the long dark crisp winter walks back to Paisley Road West to get the bus back to the City Centre. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 26th Mar 2011, 06:57pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
I spent a lot of my childhood in Old Pollok, Neilsland Square, Grandparents were Charlie and Jean Hamilton, who came from the Shaws, Charlie had a wee fruit and Veg van. I used to work in the van in the school holidays.

+Quote Post
partick boy
post 6th Sep 2013, 10:28am
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 10,952
Our family moved to Hapland Road from Possilpark in 1948 to a THREE BEDROOM SEMI-DETACHED..! And in front of the house was a huge triangle of grass to play on AND a big, big field alongside the house. And the houses at the other side of Braidcraft Road? - they were 100 yards away at least..! Never had or seen so much space except in a public park. Magic!
Oh, and we (as kids) used to walk to Corkerhill engine sheds and wander aboot the engines and talk with the drivers and firemen. Lordy, that wouldn't be allowed these days!

+Quote Post
**katie53**
post 14th Dec 2014, 04:04pm
Post #25

QUOTE (Guest jax * @ 7th Jan 2009, 04:26am) *
My family were Drummonds...was it them that you knew? They lived in Dormanside road. My mothers name was Betty.

I lived at 12 Bridgend Rd. Ann Richards stayed In the bottom. The Drummonds were in the middle and us and the Handleys were the top. The Tolans were the middle across from the Drummonds.

+Quote Post
*eleanor grogan*
post 7th Jul 2015, 08:38am
Post #26

I lived in 66 Dormanside rd pollok when it was the flats there moved away to balloch when I got married missed a lot of friends use to go to parkway pub and the cart pub I have tried to get in contact with Jackie gallagher his knick name was fesser he lived with his dad and sister janice he worked with electricity board would be nice to hear from him he was a nice guy my mum and dad were Peter and Joan no longer with us my brothers alan and Peter and sister linda has anyone got picture of Dormans ide before they knocked flats down I used to know Raymond Patterson he lived in linthaugh rd my pal was Suzanne Houston been in touch with Suzanne would be nice to hear from you.

+Quote Post
*Francis Toland*
post 1st Feb 2016, 08:49pm
Post #27

QUOTE (Ann Richards @ 9th Jun 2008, 09:54pm) *
smile.gif I was born 12 Bridgend Road went to Gowanbank & Craigbank I just remember playing outsideand NOT being "Feart" I rembember Families - Motherwell, Drummonds, Toland, McGrath, Boyle, MacClusker and many more. When I visit Pollok today I always wonder who I am standing beside or walking along the road with " Someone from my childhood, how brilliant would that be" I wonder about the guy who used to take photos of us kids (I always loved that) your Mammy wouldn't have much money but she always bought the photo. As for the rag man. Well, that was just great put a smile on my face everytime Give him yur brother old jumper and you got a sweetie. God, these days they want a wi game and they're still not happy. When I lived in Pollok I always wanted to live in a posh bit of Glasgow. However, as I've travelled I never once said I lived anywhere but good auld Pollok and proud of it. We might have been poor but that guy with the camera wasn't a perv and we could play till it was time to go in for a bath which wasn't a bath it was the kitchen sink. Great eh! the bathroom was to bloomin' cold. God bless Glasgow and the people of Pollok.

+Quote Post
*bauldie*
post 12th Feb 2017, 11:32pm
Post #28

QUOTE (Sheenat1956 @ 16th May 2008, 09:55pm) *
I LIved in 2 Bargarren road in the late 60.s and early 70,s . I worked in the news agents when it was Strangs for a few years . I cant seem to find Bargarren on any map is it still there does anyone know. Its near the 50 terminus just off Cathill.

Bargaran is still there, knew a guy called Tommy Scanlon who used to live there as did Gary McKendrick.

+Quote Post
*Gary McKendrick*
post 8th May 2017, 06:43pm
Post #29

QUOTE (bauldie @ 12th Feb 2017, 11:32pm) *
Bargaran is still there, knew a guy called Tommy Scanlon who used to live there as did Gary McKendrick.

Hi Bauldie, me and Tommy Scanlon actually lived on Calfhill Rd. I was at 71 and Tommy the close next to us.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.