Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pollok
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:58pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Pollok

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Pollok

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sugaqueen
post 7th Mar 2008, 12:21pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 5,393
i must say i have lived in pollok all my days,when i was younger it was the place to be i loved my childhood,it was fun, the rag and bone man,playing in the streets,tig skipping ropes,two man hunt,blue murder, kick the can,life was easy we lived across the road from the pollok police station,and they never even chased us or nothing,cause going back to that day all kids were good and had respect for adults and each other if you did do something that your neighbours werent happy about it was a kick up the #### or they got you buy the scruff of the neck and took you hame and boy were you crapping yersel,nowadays the kids says ill get the police te you or am gonna phone childline for you, we used to shop at the shops at pollok roundabout think it was galbraiths,then went to the hypermarket,up until the pollok center was built now its the silverburn center that looks fantastic although at the back end there is a bingo and farmfoods now dont get me wrong i love that shop but i mean come on it dont look right next to this big center, how pollok has changed, with the building work that has been going on i think pollok will stand out as a great district to live you get back what you shell out and pollok seems to be going up and im proud to live there. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
CAT
post 7th Mar 2008, 01:37pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Quite right to be proud sugaqueen !!
My mum still lives in pollok althought at 86 silverburns not quite her thing. She thinks "it wis built wi the toffs in newton mearns in mind."
My mother moved from househillwood to corkerhill when the house were built in the early 50's she stayed there for 40 years until moving to neilsland.
I go over every week and I quite agree there is certainly a lot of work being put in. Just so long as its to benefit the whole community I think it's great.

+Quote Post
Sheenat1956
post 16th May 2008, 09:55pm
Post #4

Settling In
Member No.: 5,631
I LIved in 2 Bargarren road in the late 60.s and early 70,s . I worked in the news agents when it was Strangs for a few years . I cant seem to find Bargarren on any map is it still there does anyone know. Its near the 50 terminus just off Cathill.

+Quote Post
*Ann Richards*
post 9th Jun 2008, 09:46pm
Post #5

smile.gif I was born 12 Bridgend Road went to Gowanbank & Craigbank I just remember playing outsideand NOT being "Feart" I rembember Families - Motherwell, Drummonds, Toland, McGrath, Boyle, MacClusker and many more. When I visit Pollok today I always wonder who I am standing beside or walking along the road with " Someone from my childhood, how brilliant would that be" I wonder about the guy who used to take photos of us kids (I always loved that) your Mammy wouldn't have much money but she always bought the photo. As for the rag man. Well, that was just great put a smile on my face everytime Give him yur brother old jumper and you got a sweetie. God, these days they want a wi game and they're still not happy. When I lived in Pollok I always wanted to live in a posh bit of Glasgow. However, as I've travelled I never once said I lived anywhere but good auld Pollok and proud of it. We might have been poor but that guy with the camera wasn't a perv and we could play till it was time to go in for a bath which wasn't a bath it was the kitchen sink. Great eh! the bathroom was to bloomin' cold. God bless Glasgow and the people of Pollok.

+Quote Post
magadoo
post 24th Nov 2008, 12:39am
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,247
I moved to pollok from gorbals in1952 I was 4. whenwe moved in it was like coming to a mansion after coming from a single end in the gorbals where 6 of us lived with an outside lavatory. we lived in linthaugh road for 12 years and then moved to leithland road to a(back and front door) oh the bliss we were coming up in the world. it was still nthe old shops at the roundabout bu there were a wee row of shops dotted all over there was one just up the road from us and a butchers van sat there.too.

+Quote Post
*Guest jax **
post 7th Jan 2009, 04:09am
Post #7

QUOTE (Ann Richards @ 9th Jun 2008, 09:45pm) *
smile.gif I was born 12 Bridgend Road went to Gowanbank & Craigbank I just remember playing outsideand NOT being "Feart" I rembember Families - Motherwell, Drummonds, Toland, McGrath, Boyle, MacClusker and many more. When I visit Pollok today I always wonder who I am standing beside or walking along the road with " Someone from my childhood, how brilliant would that be" I wonder about the guy who used to take photos of us kids (I always loved that) your Mammy wouldn't have much money but she always bought the photo. As for the rag man. Well, that was just great put a smile on my face everytime Give him yur brother old jumper and you got a sweetie. God, these days they want a wi game and they're still not happy. When I lived in Pollok I always wanted to live in a posh bit of Glasgow. However, as I've travelled I never once said I lived anywhere but good auld Pollok and proud of it. We might have been poor but that guy with the camera wasn't a perv and we could play till it was time to go in for a bath which wasn't a bath it was the kitchen sink. Great eh! the bathroom was to bloomin' cold. God bless Glasgow and the people of Pollok.

My family were Drummonds...was it them that you knew? They lived in Dormanside road. My mothers name was Betty.

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 23rd Apr 2009, 08:45pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
click on add reply type post then click add reply

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 23rd Apr 2009, 08:56pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
I lived in Priesthill from 67 - 85. when I was a kid I loved Househillwood park.It was like being in the countryside with the long stretches of fields over the bridge from the park.I remember there was a wee hut where we played table tennis and other games in the summer.I remember some of the trees in the park had chains on them.Do I remember this right? Anyone know the history behind it?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
jimbo
post 11th May 2009, 08:09pm
Post #10

Resident
Member No.: 6,826
hello jim mcgeachy here
i lived in brock rd for 28 years i remember trying to cimb up the wall of crookston castle to get birds eggs and i used to sneek into leverndale's grounds to see if i could see a looney i am a bad boy

+Quote Post
*Esther*
post 23rd Jun 2009, 01:24am
Post #11

I also remember the trees with chains on them ....It was about 1978 I was about 9 years old I would go there with my big brother and the story was that people back in the olden days would be hung from those chains....I came back to visit my mom 2008 and the trees had been burnt down or had been taken down ...does anyone remember these trees or am I going crazy?

+Quote Post
curly sue
post 26th Jun 2009, 11:45pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,292
QUOTE (Boydy @ 23rd Apr 2009, 09:13pm) *
I lived in Priesthill from 67 - 85. when I was a kid I loved Househillwood park.It was like being in the countryside with the long stretches of fields over the bridge from the park.I remember there was a wee hut where we played table tennis and other games in the summer.I remember some of the trees in the park had chains on them.Do I remember this right? Anyone know the history behind it?

Hi there Boydy,

I was just reading your comments about the Househill(wood) Park, and agree with you completely, I actually came across a wee site think it is quite new but it might be worth a wee look it's all about that area and has some photo's of interest, and yes there are trees there with chains on them, dont know if you remember the big tree just on the right as you go out the gates at the bridge it had brickwork imbedded in the bottom of it, sadly they have sawed it down. but the fossilised tree is there just out side the gates at the burn.

http://househill-community-youth-for..

+Quote Post
*sheena lecky*
post 26th Jun 2009, 11:52pm
Post #13

QUOTE (curly sue @ 27th Jun 2009, 12:02am) *
Hi there Boydy,

I was just reading your comments about the Househill(wood) Park, and agree with you completely, I actually came across a wee site think it is quite new but it might be worth a wee look it's all about that area and has some photo's of interest, and yes there are trees there with chains on them, dont know if you remember the big tree just on the right as you go out the gates at the bridge it had brickwork imbedded in the bottom of it, sadly they have sawed it down. but the fossilised tree is there just out side the gates at the burn.

+Quote Post
*sheena lecky*
post 26th Jun 2009, 11:55pm
Post #14

QUOTE (curly sue @ 27th Jun 2009, 12:02am) *
Hi there Boydy,

OMG, I remember going there and snoggin. Wasn't feart to cut through it at night either...........changed days. I'm gonna check out the web site you recommended.

+Quote Post
*curly*
post 29th Jun 2009, 12:51am
Post #15

QUOTE (Esther @ 23rd Jun 2009, 01:41am) *
I also remember the trees with chains on them ....It was about 1978 I was about 9 years old I would go there with my big brother and the story was that people back in the olden days would be hung from those chains....I came back to visit my mom 2008 and the trees had been burnt down or had been taken down ...does anyone remember these trees or am I going crazy?

Hi Esther,

posted a link the other day dnt know if it worked, so I will post it again.

www.househill-community-youth-forum.webs.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.