Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nitshill
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:55pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Nitshill

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Nitshill

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marydee
post 19th Apr 2007, 08:40pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Is there nobody out there from Nitshill not even me but when they drew in the pavements of Priesthill at 5.30 the cafes and the chip shop in made Nitshill the place to be. Down Shilton, Linnhead or Glenmuir on to Cleeves Road through the brickie on to Peat Road and the night life was there. Vic's Cafe at the corner with the lovely Tom Faccenda and Umberto then the Chippy the Royal Oak and later on the Cavendish and Lynach's the bookies unfortunatly I was too young for the last three. Gordon McDowell and his pal Johnnie O'Donnell were probably the main attraction and their Ma's had no problem with us hanging about.

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 28th Jan 2009, 12:41am
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
I used to go to Nitshill a lot when I lived in Priesthill.Do you remember the Railway Inn? The Levern water and Royal oak have been demolished,it's only the Cavendish left.The petrol station is also gone.Do you remember the Mini market I think it was Jewish people that owned it.It was a dear shop but you could get groceries 3 hours after everything else was shut.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
*looby00*
post 1st Jul 2009, 12:04pm
Post #4

hi, I came from peat rd [341] across from peat rd motors[used to be logan's cafe] we moved there in 1955 I went to househillmuir school then onto muirsheil then overtown av before going onto Bellarmine school.My da worked from the colehill in nitshill.he wiz the local coleman.We had moved from room n kitchen in west st in tradeston and this big 4 apt wiz like an enormous palace with an inside toilet WITH A BATH,big back n front garden.my friends there were patricia kelly maureen o'donnel,susan burrows[nitshill] theresa harte[househillwood] I now stay in thornliebank

+Quote Post
tracystreet
post 6th Feb 2010, 11:42pm
Post #5

Settling In
Member No.: 8,081
I lived in 91 Pinmore St. Nitshill and also in 51 Lunderston Drive, Priesthill in 1960's and went to St Bernards School. then St. Bellarmines I remember going on to the railway crossing/bridge to wait for trains to come under and we'd get all the soot on us. I also remember when the first diesels came out. We used to go picnics on the 'big field' too. Can any one else remember this?

+Quote Post
*mumsiedoc*
post 16th Jul 2010, 02:52am
Post #6

Attached Image
I lived in 138 Hartstone Road, Househillwood before it changed to Nitshill. Left there in July 1963 to migrate to Australia with my parents and my brother Ian Hopkins. I am Ellen Hopkins.

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 16th Jul 2010, 08:02pm
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
Lets face it, anyone who lived in Priesthill or Househillwood had to frequent Nitshill. It was the only place you could get a pint. The Househill Tavern, The Royal Oak, The cavendish, The Levern Water (Lavvy Watter) Hotel, The Railway Inn, The Volunteer Arms and on the outskirts - The Niaroo! Priesthill - Dry! Pollok - Dry! So the next stop was either the Parkway at Mosspark or The Trade Winds Hotel at Arden.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Burgessian
post 16th Jul 2010, 08:11pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 8,642
Jackie Connors Garage.

+Quote Post
marydee
post 16th Jul 2010, 09:03pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Mumsiedoc I may have the wrong lad but did your brother have a pet jackdaw? My Grannie lived at 126 Hartstone Road and I think you went to Australia at the same time as my Auntie Betty and Uncle Peter O'Brien.

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 17th Jul 2010, 03:30pm
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
A wee Kerryoot frae the G101! Telling the 2 bob mob to "go forth and multiply" when you were leaving!

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
*mumsiedoc*
post 20th Jul 2010, 11:42pm
Post #11

Hi Marydee, Yes you have the right lad. We did have a pet jackdaw. I know the O'Brien lads. Haven't seen them for years. Their Mum and Dad were members of our local theatre group along with me and my dad. My dad was the musical director. My brother is on face book. Look up John Hopkins or Ian Hopkins. I am also on face book under Ellen McLeod.

+Quote Post
*Peggy Ramage*
post 24th Jul 2012, 04:46am
Post #12

My Great Aunt, Mary Howden, owned the Railway Inn. I am very sad to see that it is no longer there. I spent three months there - summer of 1968. She sold it shortly after that to one of the Breweries and retired to Troon.

+Quote Post
*pauline glen*
post 1st Jul 2013, 07:06pm
Post #13

QUOTE (tracystreet @ 6th Feb 2010, 11:50pm) *
I lived in 91 Pinmore St. Nitshill and also in 51 Lunderston Drive, Priesthill in 1960's and went to St Bernards School. then St. Bellarmines I remember going on to the railway crossing/bridge to wait for trains to come under and we'd get all the soot on us. I also remember when the first diesels came out. We used to go picnics on the 'big field' too. Can any one else remember this?

Hi did u know a rose ann kane from pinmore street

+Quote Post
*pauline glen*
post 1st Jul 2013, 07:12pm
Post #14

QUOTE (tracystreet @ 6th Feb 2010, 11:50pm) *

im looking for a rose ann kane from pinmore street do u know her

+Quote Post
webb823
post 13th Apr 2014, 02:23pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,946
Hi my name is jim Boyle born 1954 at 96 hartstone rd moved to 7glenlora terr 1960 I remember all of the old priesthll &nitshill my first job was in galbraiths in househillwood rd I also drank in all the pubs in nitshill does anybody remember me

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.