Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milton
possilboy
post 13th Apr 2010, 11:09pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi rabentam what number of carbeth st i lived there 1945 to 1963
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rosielee
post 21st Oct 2010, 09:15pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,110
QUOTE (ashfield @ 15th Oct 2009, 11:50am) *
Avril, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my reply. My apologies if it sounded confrontational smile.gif

I think my parents were the last to get a telly a fridge....and the list ...goes on but sure as hell made me apprectiate such luxuries later in lfe...Our kids havnt lived! I often wonder at how my mother manager to cook, clean, feed five of us on a daily basis. I lived in Egilsay Terrace and went to local shops for penny frozen bruised fruit. I did go out with a guy Alex Calder who lived near Liddlesdale shops and went to St Augustine annex.

+Quote Post
baggymaggs
post 22nd Oct 2010, 01:49am
Post #33

Settling In
Member No.: 8,867
biggrin.gif hi rosielee i mooved into milton from lyon st in 1963 first in scalpay st then ensay st was away for a couple of years and then back to liddesdale rd and now in shapinsay st and i am now working in the care home that thay built whare that annex used to be. oh boy its a changed place dont you think. my ma used to send me up to liddy shop for five woodbine cigs. i know people who wont let the kids do anything by themselfs and thats a bit sad. i went to chirnside school and then to colston when it was safe to walk with your pals. i know people bad mouth the place but if you have grown up in milton you know its not all bad its got a lot of great people and i will allways stick up for our milton.xx baggymaggs. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
See you later xx

+Quote Post
bds1958
post 22nd Oct 2010, 07:54am
Post #34

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,862
QUOTE (bds1958 @ 14th Aug 2009, 02:21pm) *
Grew up in Vallay Street, No. 23, opposite the park from 1962 to 1975.

Any other old Vallay Streeters out there?

Noticed recent post from Possilboy regarding living in Carbeth St, Possilpark.

I was born and lived my first 3 years at 85 Carbeth St before my parents moved to the Milton.

Does anybody remember "Big Scotty", the polis man that used to patrol the Milton?

--------------------
" a nation of sheep results in a government of wolves"

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."

“The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 22nd Oct 2010, 07:07pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
welcome to all the new ones on the board hope you enjoy bds 1958 part of carbeth st before it had been knocked down cheers

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
baggymaggs
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:00am
Post #36

Settling In
Member No.: 8,867
smile.gif hi all i remember big scotty very well he brought my da home a couple of times because he fell off the bus drunk and could not walk down that lane from liddy to scalpay st ho! ho! the good old days eh! he was a good polis and a nice man too. he allways talked to us kids and told you when it was time to get home if it was getting dark. you would not see that now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
See you later xx

+Quote Post
flam
post 12th Nov 2010, 04:35pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All Are you talking about Big Scotty who stills walks along the Canal towpath ,from Lambhill to Balmuidy Rd Bridge , and does he originate from the Fife Area..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
bds1958
post 12th Nov 2010, 05:52pm
Post #38

Super Resident
QUOTE (flam @ 12th Nov 2010, 05:21pm) *
Hi All Are you talking about Big Scotty who stills walks along the Canal towpath ,from Lambhill to Balmuidy Rd Bridge , and does he originate from the Fife Area..Cheers Flim

Ask him if he was the local "Polis" in the 70's around Milton?

He may be in his late 60's or early 70's.

--------------------

“The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Nov 2010, 04:20pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Rosielee @ 21st Oct 2010, 09:01pm) *
... I did go out with a guy Alex Calder who lived near Liddlesdale shops and went to St Augustine annex.

In my first job my mentor was a guy called Alex Calder. He belonged to the Glasgow Wheelers (Cycle Club). Would it be too much of a coincidence that this was the same Alex Calder (ca. '59)

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
flam
post 16th Nov 2010, 10:48am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi bds1958 ..Big Scotty did serve in the police force around the Milton/Lambhill/Cadder area but I do not know the years.. Big Scotty I reckon looking at him would be around the 60/70 year old mark ,his first name is Jim, I know his second name, but I think it would be wrong to put it on without his permission..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
bds1958
post 16th Nov 2010, 03:39pm
Post #41

Super Resident
QUOTE (flam @ 16th Nov 2010, 11:34am) *
Hi bds1958 ..Big Scotty did serve in the police force around the Milton/Lambhill/Cadder area but I do not know the years.. Big Scotty I reckon looking at him would be around the 60/70 year old mark ,his first name is Jim, I know his second name, but I think it would be wrong to put it on without his permission..Cheers Flim

Agree about his name. You could always PM me and I could give you my name. Not that I was in much trouble but there was one wee incident that still raises a smile when I think about it. He probably wouldn't remember me.

I remember him patrolling Vallay Street, where I lived, during my "formative years"; 1965 - 1975.

Thanks for the dialogue.

bds1958

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 16th Jan 2011, 01:39am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I moved to Liddesdale Rd 1964 from Grove St Cowcaddens. Went to St Augustines Primary and Scondary but my sister and brothers went to St Joe's. I have brilliant memories of Milton. Moved away in 1984 when thing started going downhilll. Everyone knew Big Scotty, though dont know anyone who had a good word to say about him. Always knew if he was in the scheme on Monday, someone would be lifted by Friday usually for something stupid.
I've not been up for a couple of months now and still have friends there but its not the place it used to be by a long shot.
Cheers Mary
ps. Think everyone knows Big Scottys real name and where he stayed.

+Quote Post
Mugginz
post 7th Apr 2011, 09:59pm
Post #43

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,642
biggrin.gif We moved from Barloch St to Liddesdale Squ in 1953. We moved in while the shops underneath still only had bare light bulbs. We got the telly for the Coronation, and had a big hoose party wi aw the neighbours! Went to Chirnsyde Primary, then High Possil. Ref: Alex Calder - there was a Calder family in one of the corner closes in the square. Christine was in my class all through school, and her Mammy was a dinner lady at Chirnsyde. (in they days you only got the job if you were a widow). Jings I could be here aw night rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
barbara mcdonagh
post 15th Oct 2011, 02:27am
Post #44

Special Visitor
Member No.: 11,173
here are two pictures of my niece Margaret Campbell Miltons first Gala Queen taken in 1974

+Quote Post
barbara mcdonagh
post 15th Oct 2011, 02:29am
Post #45

Special Visitor
Member No.: 11,173
QUOTE (barbara mcdonagh @ 15th Oct 2011, 03:13am) *
here are two pictures of my niece Margaret Campbell Miltons first Gala Queen taken in 1974

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.