Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milton
Avril
post 15th Oct 2009, 11:03am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Thanks for getting back Ashfield. All forgotton now, no problem and no harm done, keep the memories flowing smile.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 15th Oct 2009, 03:14pm
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Ashfield all is ok, bit back then, come oan hardly onybuddy hud a telly, so we thought it wis great that oor Aunt Marion hud wan. A canne remember hooses ahined the shoaps ???? By the way they had a car anaw, an a BEAUTIFUL HOOSE tee hee

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Oct 2009, 03:24pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I'm sittin' in a corner in a huff laugh.gif My relatives lived in Ronaldsay St which was down from the Square and there was a small field between the back of their house and the back of the shops. Their next door neighbours had a beautiful black and white spaniel. Ah'm no tellin' what else they had in case yi' think am boastin' laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Avril
post 15th Oct 2009, 04:59pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Ah remember the hooses behind the shops, ah used tae go tae the library there and ah had a pal who lived opposite the library. BTW Ashfield, Marion and me's auntie & uncle also hud a telephone and a washing machine away back in the 50's (as well as a tele and a car) rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 15th Oct 2009, 05:13pm
Post #20

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
Ahh well we lived in Possil then so we'd be coming out to see your TV's n washing machines n stuff wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............

+Quote Post
*m m*
post 15th Oct 2009, 08:33pm
Post #21

i lived in wot was called the new sceme or dolls houses at hillswick crescent and was havin a laugh about the telly carryon . have great memories of milton inc the pancakes out the back door of the city backeries . 40 a side fitbaw at miltonbank on a sunday wae awe the aulder boys wot a laugh .went to st augustines pri+sec .met cracking people from possil, miltom and cadder there.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Oct 2009, 05:39pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Avril @ 15th Oct 2009, 06:58pm) *
Ah remember the hooses behind the shops, ah used tae go tae the library there and ah had a pal who lived opposite the library.

Avril, was your pal called Madge or Margie by any chance??

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Oct 2009, 07:55pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Avril @ 14th Oct 2009, 12:41pm) *
... our Aunt & Uncle were the first family in Milton to have a TV ...

Our next door neighbours sister was the .......in Blantyre and when we walked all the way down to her house to watch Children's Hour we had to call into the wee shop first to change our jeely jars for money 'cos she charged a penny a head. (the money going to the Children's Ward in Hayrmaires (?) Hosp. in E Kilbride, where she was a nurse)
But I remember us all sitting quietly, cross legged, on the floor in the darkness waiting for Children's Hour ...
Try that today rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
*rabenutam*
post 19th Oct 2009, 08:03pm
Post #24

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 19th Oct 2009, 08:54pm) *
Our next door neighbours sister was the .......in Blantyre and when we walked all the way down to her house to watch Children's Hour we had to call into the wee shop first to change our jeely jars for money 'cos she charged a penny a head. (the money going to the Children's Ward in Hayrmaires (?) Hosp. in E Kilbride, where she was a nurse)
But I remember us all sitting quietly, cross legged, on the floor in the darkness waiting for Children's Hour ...
Try that today rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
*rabenutam*
post 19th Oct 2009, 08:43pm
Post #25

I lived in the milton,we move to Shapinsay st from carbeth st ,posialpark 1953 the year of the coronation,all of possil was decked out with flags and banners,dont remeber milton deck out,but it was all new ! fields & cows. We did not have a TV ,but went to neighbours house to watch childrens hour at 5pm.I remember that it was against the law to bet off turf,we had to put a pink card in the window to tell Tommy the bookie your dad had line to put on the dogs at night and horses mon - sat.The bus's were the 28,8 , 47. No trams and no pubs.I went to miltonbank school. I left milton nov 1963 and have not been back ,but have many ,many,happy memoirs of the Milton &possil.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 19th Oct 2009, 09:09pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 19th Oct 2009, 07:38pm) *
Avril, was your pal called Madge or Margie by any chance??

No, sorry ashfield, her name was Bernadette smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 19th Oct 2009, 09:15pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 19th Oct 2009, 09:54pm) *
Try that today

Same here Teeheehee, lights out, curtains drawn an' aw the weans sitting cross-legged on the floor biggrin.gif Do you remember walking down the road in the dark nights and you could always tell who the latest 'toff to get a tele' was? The house would be in darkness with a blue glow shining through the spaces in the curtains laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Oct 2009, 09:20pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 13th Apr 2010, 01:59pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi Rabenutam, what number did you stay in Shapinsay st, I lived in 42, also went to Miltonbank
I too went to see TV in mrs Lamonts ?? house, she ran the catalogue, so the kids went there to pay the instalments.
I left 1967 when I got married, visited my mother but once she died, there was no reason to return
I have been back in the past few years, to take photos for a friend, who lived in Mingulay st. Changed place, lot of demolition
Bye now, norrie

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 13th Apr 2010, 06:05pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Norrie, I lived in that street as well, not sure of the number might have been 32. Can't say it brings back happy memories though rolleyes.gif Oh, and I went to the other school laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.