Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milton
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:53pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Milton

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Milton

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*brian_mc_05@hotmail.co.ukE10F7C*
post 21st Jun 2008, 12:10am
Post #2

i used to live in 243 ashgill road, just across fom chirside primary, right on the bend. i have great memory's about living there

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 4th Jul 2008, 01:57pm
Post #3

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
My BB footbal team used to play regularly at Chrnide. There were loads of red ash pitches. Last time I passed it was very overgrown.

+Quote Post
bds1958
post 14th Aug 2009, 12:25pm
Post #4

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,862
Grew up in Vallay Street, No. 23, opposite the park from 1962 to 1975.

Any other old Vallay Streeters out there?

--------------------
" a nation of sheep results in a government of wolves"

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."

“The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 14th Aug 2009, 03:48pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
My Favourite Aunt Marion lived above the shops in Liddesdale Square then moved round to Liddesdale rd. They were the first family tae huv a tv an aw the wains went there to watch the 5 pm shows, a canny mind whit they wur. A stied therr wan summer and hud the best time. Ma cousin Avril stied therr tae, come oan Avril geez yer stories xx

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 9th Oct 2009, 09:43am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Hi Marion I remember those shops and when I was wee I thought they were so far away, most of the time we'd walk there and on special occasions got on the bus, lol. I wonder if I'd ever seen you, not that I can remember, though I did try lol, I used to look up at the windows in the residences up top.

Anyhoo's I was born at 24 Castlebay Street, my Grandparents lived there, below them lived the Rielly's, my aunty Margaret, married Tony Rielly at the time,... our family were the Adairs. On the bottom of the close was the Hunters, Valda, was a dance teacher (sadly she passed away). I think next to my Grannies lived the McGuigan's, I only remember Allanah, Im not sure though, maybe the Mann's lived in the close aswell, on bottom of the close next to the Hunter's, lived "Dan the Ice cream man" I think, not too sure of that though.

I have quite a few memories of living there, we used to play across the road in the vacant lot, swinging on ropes off the trees,... trying to catch mice in the dirt mounds, climbing trees, going over to the bakery where they made bread and getting the mis'shaped (rejected) bread. We'd run back to grannies for the butter to eat it, those were the days, lol.

Twice I had the fire brigade rescue me lol, once because I climbed a tree so high I didnt want to climb down, and secondly because I got my head stuck in a railing in someones landing lol...funny now but not then, hmm.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 14th Oct 2009, 02:05am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi marion the shows on telly at 5 back then where the lone ranger and cisco kid then super man whith george reeves about 1960 it all changed and they had a glasgow entertaiment show for half an hour thats where the beatles first performed on brittish tv after that was francie and josie cheers john

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Oct 2009, 08:01am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
See post below.....

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Oct 2009, 08:04am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Marion Niven Dougan @ 14th Aug 2009, 05:53pm) *
My Favourite Aunt Marion lived above the shops in Liddesdale Square then moved round to Liddesdale rd. They were the first family tae huv a tv an aw the wains went there to watch the 5 pm shows, a canny mind whit they wur. A stied therr wan summer and hud the best time. Ma cousin Avril stied therr tae, come oan Avril geez yer stories xx

Aunt Marion & Uncle George, who lived above the shops in Liddesdale Square, were indeed the first people to have TV. It was fascinating to a 6 year old, my big brother used to take me up there for 5pm to watch BBC's Children's Hour with my cousins, I vaguely remember it started with a roundabout going round. My cousins and I even used to sit and watch the test card laugh.gif It was a treat to stay at Aunt Marion's and Uncle George's, I went about with their daughter and we often stayed at each other's houses. I was a teenager when they moved round to Liddesdale Road, I remember one night when I was about 13, it was getting late and even although I only lived a couple of streets away Aunt Marion said, 'Och just stay the night, Uncle George will pop in and tell your mammy,' but what did I do? 'ran home and got my jim jams' laugh.gif

As you know Tori, I remember the Adairs from Castlebay Street. I went to school with your aunts, I also vaguely remember Valda the dance teacher.

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th Oct 2009, 11:25am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Avril @ 14th Oct 2009, 10:09am) *
Aunt Marion & Uncle George, who lived above the shops in Liddesdale Square, were indeed the first people to have TV.

The first people to get a TV rolleyes.gif My aunt lived round the corner from the shops and I used to love the malt loaf (not the sickly sweet kind) they sold in Galbraiths and the barley sugar sticks from the chemist. Occasionally we would go over to the newsagents at lunch time from primary school to get our fix of penny caramels.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Oct 2009, 11:42am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Aye Ashfield, as Marion says, our Aunt & Uncle were the first family in Milton to have a TV as far as we knew and back in the early to mid 50's all the weans in the neighbourhood used to pile in to watch BBC Children's Hour, it was like a Saturday afternoon at the cinema laugh.gif

Our Aunt Marion lived above the newsagent and used to work in it so you probably bought your penny caramels from her biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th Oct 2009, 05:52pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Avril, I don't want to get into a fight but my aunt and uncle, who lived behind the shops, had a telly in 1953. I know because all the family went up to see the coronation (I was bored!!). It was an extremely small viewing screen and resembled a goldfish bowl. Actually it would have been more interesting if it had been a goldfish bowl. I forgot to mention the apple and rhubarb tarts that they sold in Galbraiths with pastry crusts lke scotch pies, fabulous. Pretty sad that my only good memories of Milton concern food rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 14th Oct 2009, 06:45pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
I'm not joining in on the TV in Milton debate biggrin.gif but I am on the rhubard tarts ! I loved them - by the dozen! I can still see them sitting on the shelf some of them with a wee bit of rhubarb escaping round the rim .....................

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Oct 2009, 09:28pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 14th Oct 2009, 07:57pm) *
Avril, I don't want to get into a fight but my aunt and uncle, who lived behind the shops, had a telly in 1953. I know because all the family went up to see the coronation (I was bored!!). It was an extremely small viewing screen and resembled a goldfish bowl. Actually it would have been more interesting if it had been a goldfish bowl. I forgot to mention the apple and rhubarb tarts that they sold in Galbraiths with pastry crusts lke scotch pies, fabulous. Pretty sad that my only good memories of Milton concern food rolleyes.gif

Sorry ashfield, I'm not in the least bit interested in fighting over petty differences of opinion. we obviously didn't know your aunt and uncle but as I said in my last post, Marion and myself's Auntie & Uncle were the only ones as far as we knew in Milton that had a TV in the early to mid 50's in other words we're not saying that no-one else did, just that Marion and myself didn't know anyone else that had a TV in those days. What does it matter anyway, we were only reminiscing and recalling happy childhood memories?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Oct 2009, 10:54am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Avril @ 14th Oct 2009, 11:33pm) *
Sorry ashfield, I'm not in the least bit interested in fighting over petty differences of opinion. we obviously didn't know your aunt and uncle but as I said in my last post, Marion and myself's Auntie & Uncle were the only ones as far as we knew in Milton that had a TV in the early to mid 50's in other words we're not saying that no-one else did, just that Marion and myself didn't know anyone else that had a TV in those days. What does it matter anyway, we were only reminiscing and recalling happy childhood memories?

Avril, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my reply. My apologies if it sounded confrontational smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.