Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kinning Park
Rating 5 V
post 25th Jul 2011, 09:22pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,570
Attached Image

MrsSnuffy Admiral Street showing the "The Old Toll Bar" not sure of the year though?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 25th Jul 2011, 10:33pm
Post #32

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
That looks fairly recent.

Perhaps too late for MrsSnuffy now, but this image shows the view from Admiral Street:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Admiral+Stre...cbp=12,315,,0,0

+Quote Post
*Beth Wilson*
post 27th Jul 2011, 05:37am
Post #33

Alex MacPhee,
You wrote long ago, but in researching my family I cannot believe the coincidence.
My Grandfathers family live at 19 Blackburn Street in Govan since the late 1800's to the mid 40's.
My great grandmother was Sarah Young. My grandfather was Mungo McAllister. I believe there was a Hettie, Katie, Sadie, Georgie, Jimmy, Archie and Alec. My grandfather moved to Canada with my mom and aunt and Nana in the mid 50's and we have lost a large majority of oor tree. DO you happen to have a pic of 19 Blackburn.
If anyone else know the family, we are looking to piece a few things together,
Cheers,
BEth

+Quote Post
*Andy Hamilton*
post 1st Aug 2011, 06:55pm
Post #34

QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 10:59pm) *
I lived at 212 Seaward street 1968 - early 70s, I have great memories of that time, 'wee' mary's shop, the hub of the street. I went to Our Lady & St Margarets School, had a girlfriend called Rosemary whom I still have fond memories of.
I have tried to locate anyone from Seawaed Street (top end opposite the whisky bond, as it was then.) It seems like everyone from that era never existed, ive not been able to find anyone, but what a great and unforgettable part of my life, Kinning park ... brilliant!
Steve

+Quote Post
yingying
post 11th Sep 2011, 02:22am
Post #35

Settling In
Member No.: 11,584
i was born in the suffering general in govan i grew up in MIDDLESEX STREET right beside the nut and bolt factory i cant remember the number i lived beside the YOUNGERS & the McINTYRES we lived across the road from wee TOMMY & JOHN CRAIG both of them played football professionaly tommy was a great wee player so was john we used to play in the adventure playground it was at the scotland st end an old piece of ground with an old bus in it we spent hours in it every dayi went to the wee maggies we had an outside toilet if you went to the toilet at night time you would kick the door to scare away any rats and hold the door shut with an old piece of string so nobody could pull the door open we flitted to avon street in tradeston MANAGOBBY it had an inside toilet modern living at last we had nothing but they were great times GOODNIGHT may your god bless you a KPnut

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 12th Sep 2011, 03:45pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Beth Wilson @ 27th Jul 2011, 07:23am) *
Alex MacPhee,
You wrote long ago, but in researching my family I cannot believe the coincidence.
My Grandfathers family live at 19 Blackburn Street in Govan since the late 1800's to the mid 40's.
My great grandmother was Sarah Young. My grandfather was Mungo McAllister. I believe there was a Hettie, Katie, Sadie, Georgie, Jimmy, Archie and Alec. My grandfather moved to Canada with my mom and aunt and Nana in the mid 50's and we have lost a large majority of oor tree. DO you happen to have a pic of 19 Blackburn.
If anyone else know the family, we are looking to piece a few things together,
Cheers,
BEth

Beth,

I don't know if you're still registered, and can see this, but I've only just noticed your post, as I've not been able to log in to this forum for some time.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of 19 Blackburn St, or Blackburn St at all. I've been searching for a long time, but with no success yet.

I can't remember all the names in number 19, but I do remember the names Boyd, Friel, Crawford, and Brown, if that's of any help.

Alex

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Sep 2011, 10:04pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Am I glad to see you back, Alex. biggrin.gif
Gonnae no' stay away so long, please. wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
yingying
post 25th Sep 2011, 11:53pm
Post #38

Settling In
Member No.: 11,584
to tradeston lassie i seen you were wondering where the cunyon was you would walk up past the maxwell park and just before you came to the pollok estate park the cunyon was on the right hand side of the road it was an amazing place to play at there were 7 hills some small some large it was great riding over them on your bike there was also a large flooded part where we would make rafts out of old doors or large lumps of a cork type of material that was dumped there it was better than going to the boring makie park i have some wonderful memories of playing there as a young boy yours truely joe dyer a tradeston boy

+Quote Post
stratson
post 29th Sep 2011, 12:09pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 16th Nov 2009, 05:59pm) *
I lived at 248 The Paisley Rd. and my G'parents lived at 66 the Paisley Rd. W. I had aunts and uncles living in Plantation St., McLellan St. Howwood (?) St. Snowden St. etc. Cousins went to Lambhill St., now turned into flats I believe) I went to Scotland St., only saved by being turned into a Museum. I lot of my Mum and Dad's older relatives stayed in and all around the area.

Some of the names that may ring sound familiar: Barbour, Kelt, Musgrove, Currie, Carlton, Bannerman,Hughes, Rennie, Thompson and many more.

Hi G.B. just reading K.P. posts. The Bannerman family are my relatives. Their mother was sister of my mother. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Castlegirl
post 30th Oct 2011, 07:09pm
Post #40

Visitor
Member No.: 7,088
QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 11:39pm) *
I lived at 212 Seaward street 1968 - early 70s, I have great memories of that time, 'wee' mary's shop, the hub of the street. I went to Our Lady & St Margarets School, had a girlfriend called Rosemary whom I still have fond memories of.
I have tried to locate anyone from Seawaed Street (top end opposite the whisky bond, as it was then.) It seems like everyone from that era never existed, ive not been able to find anyone, but what a great and unforgettable part of my life, Kinning park ... brilliant!
Steve

I'm a highly experienced novice so don't know if this will reach Steve Brown's post. Did you have lots of brothers and I think 3 wee sisters? And Andy Hamilton did you go out with one of the Campbell girls? I think her name was Linda. If you're the very same Andy you had a moped bike? If you're not the same Andy sorry for my mistakes.

+Quote Post
Castlegirl
post 30th Oct 2011, 07:29pm
Post #41

Visitor
Member No.: 7,088
I was told an old cine film exists of K P, but I don't know if it's true and I've never come across it . Apparently an old resident took the film from around the early 50's to K P's demise. If anyone has heard of this film or could pass on a copy I'd be very grateful as I've not been able to find it.

+Quote Post
*Robert Fisher*
post 10th Nov 2011, 03:35pm
Post #42

QUOTE (Steve Brown @ 29th Mar 2008, 09:39pm) *
Steve

+Quote Post
alexander3544
post 11th Nov 2011, 05:23pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,615
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 16th Nov 2009, 03:39pm) *
I lived at 248 The Paisley Rd. and my G'parents lived at 66 the Paisley Rd. W. I had aunts and uncles living in Plantation St., McLellan St. Howwood (?) St. Snowden St. etc. Cousins went to Lambhill St., now turned into flats I believe) I went to Scotland St., only saved by being turned into a Museum. I lot of my Mum and Dad's older relatives stayed in and all around the area.

Some of the names that may ring sound familiar: Barbour, Kelt, Musgrove, Currie, Carlton, Bannerman,Hughes, Rennie, Thompson and many more.

I lived at Paisley Rd Toll, was the Barbour you mentioned a lad called Graham from Plantation St. Also you mentioned Currie was that Willie Currie who went to Lorne St and Lambhill St.schools.

Alex Marshall

alexander3544@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
rumcdonald
post 28th Nov 2011, 07:37pm
Post #44

Resident
Member No.: 7,818
QUOTE (*Steve* @ 24th Mar 2010, 12:04pm) *
FAO eieio

Saw that you were looking for old photos of KP, ive just found what looks to be a good site, in the process of going through it myself ... "urbanglasgow.co.uk"(various interesting links to other sites).
Noticed a few good photos of KP, theres a good one of Admiral Street (circa 1973) you can clearly see Jim Baxters pub, I worked in the butchers shop that was there, "Robert Edwards" the newsagents shop that was next to the butchers shop was owned Robert Edwards brother, you can see the two steps you had to climb to enter the shop, not sure when these shops closed but it was a crackin place to work and live, I lived in Seaward Street, hope this is useful to you.
Regards
Steve.

I've tried for years to find old pics of Mair St Plantation, where my husband was born..in the Thomson household. I've found Zilch!! Also trying to find an old pic of St Margarets Chapel on Stanley St. I've googled the street, but am not sure what I'm seeing. What is the smaller bldg beside the school..the one that's half demolished? Is St Margarets chapel gone??
To think I use to work in Gray Dunns in the mid 60's...wish I'd taken a few snaps then!!! Ruth

+Quote Post
**steve**
post 24th Jan 2012, 02:32am
Post #45

All Kinning Parkers,

Just been round the place, sad to see all the places that have been destroyed with the M8 but the old Kinning Park is still there.... long may it be so....

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.