Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kinning Park
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:47pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Kinning Park

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Kinning Park

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Steve Brown*
post 29th Mar 2008, 10:13pm
Post #2

I lived at 212 Seaward street 1968 - early 70s, I have great memories of that time, 'wee' mary's shop, the hub of the street. I went to Our Lady & St Margarets School, had a girlfriend called Rosemary whom I still have fond memories of.
I have tried to locate anyone from Seawaed Street (top end opposite the whisky bond, as it was then.) It seems like everyone from that era never existed, ive not been able to find anyone, but what a great and unforgettable part of my life, Kinning park ... brilliant!
Steve

+Quote Post
*Tommy D*
post 24th Apr 2008, 09:19am
Post #3

I remember Seward St although I lived on Mclellan St. I went to the Mags primary.Left in '59/60. Had a pal from Seward St. called Chuck Ripley.

+Quote Post
ninab
post 23rd Jun 2009, 02:20pm
Post #4

Resident
Member No.: 6,992
QUOTE (Tommy D @ 24th Apr 2008, 09:36am) *
I remember Seward St although I lived on Mclellan St. I went to the Mags primary.Left in '59/60. Had a pal from Seward St. called Chuck Ripley.

My ex-husband and his family all lived at 84 McClellan Street. Ringland McRoberts....Did you know him or his brother Alex?

+Quote Post
*Robert Brown*
post 28th Sep 2009, 09:54pm
Post #5

Lived at 7 Sleads street KP and went to Lambhill street school ,would like to contace people who lived In Sleads Street

+Quote Post
**Steve**
post 14th Oct 2009, 12:28pm
Post #6

Best of luck Rob hope you find someone from Slead Street? I havent managed to find anyone from Seaward Street ....yet!

+Quote Post
**Steve**
post 19th Oct 2009, 02:46pm
Post #7

QUOTE (Robert Brown @ 28th Sep 2009, 10:53pm) *
Lived at 7 Sleads street KP and went to Lambhill street school ,would like to contace people who lived In Sleads Street

Hi Rob best of luck in finding anyone that lived in Sleads Street, I lived in Seaward Street opposite the bondie (late 1960) and have not managed to contact anyone I knew, I don't know if "Wee Mary's shop was there when you lived in Sleads Street, the hub of the street.

+Quote Post
glezgaman
post 16th Nov 2009, 03:44pm
Post #8

Settling In
Member No.: 1,979
i was born in 1936 at 81 plantation st 1up above (The Cock O The North) pub on the corner of Craigiehall st. a couple of other family's at 81 were Archie & Kitty McDowall and family and the Hunters. My uncle Sammy married Gina Mills and lived at 24 Plantation st. My aunty Mary&uncle Bobby Craig lived at 41 Blackburn st. also my uncle George & aunty Gracie davidson lived at the Paisley rd West end of Maclean st. not forgetting my cousins the McAlpines at 94 Plantation st
Hughie Gourlay

--------------------
jist gon tae see a man aboot a dug

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 16th Nov 2009, 04:13pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
I lived at 248 The Paisley Rd. and my G'parents lived at 66 the Paisley Rd. W. I had aunts and uncles living in Plantation St., McLellan St. Howwood (?) St. Snowden St. etc. Cousins went to Lambhill St., now turned into flats I believe) I went to Scotland St., only saved by being turned into a Museum. I lot of my Mum and Dad's older relatives stayed in and all around the area.

Some of the names that may ring sound familiar: Barbour, Kelt, Musgrove, Currie, Carlton, Bannerman,Hughes, Rennie, Thompson and many more.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 16th Nov 2009, 05:39pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
Oh my word, Kinning Park, what a lot of street names coming back on reading these posts!

I always loved the name 'Kinning Park'. It meant 'home', and where my mum and dad brought up five children in a room and kitchen. When I was born, in 1950, my parents lived at 15 Blackburn Street, and not long after, they moved to a room and kitchen in 19 Blackburn Street. It was the close next to a wee shop run by a lady called Chrissie O'Donnell or McDonald or something like that, along with her daughter Jenny Crawford. Across the road, there was a grocer's shop, run by Mrs Annie Aird. At the corner of Blackburn St and the Govan Road, there was a shop called the Yankee Magazine Shop.

My aunt and uncle (my mum and her sister had married two brothers) lived in McLean St, and my paternal grandfather lived in Craigiehall St. My maternal grandmother, Maggie Lindsay, lived at 69 Paisley Road West, next door to 'Curleys', a food shop, where I remember queuing up and getting butter loose by the half pound from big barrels, patted into shape by the shop assistant, and wrapped in greaseproof paper. That was a special treat, for in those days, all we could afford was margarine (funny how they never call it margarine these days, it's 'spread').

I went to school at Our Lady & St Margaret's, in Stanley street, in what were called the 'huts', which were a kind of annex to the main school. My happiest schooldays were in that wee school, with a succession of lovely teachers, flowers of Scottish spinsterhood - for they were mostly spinsters dedicated to their children. My favourite of all was Miss McGuinness, and I still remember her kindly face and silvery hair.

Our family left Kinning Park in 1957 for the newer post-war housing estates springing up in places like Pollok. But strangely, my heart was always somewhere in Kinning Park, SW1. A few years ago, on returning to Glasgow, I went there to see the streets I grew up in, and the wee school where my education started. Things have to change, I know, but how sad that it was all gone. The site of the wee school had been razed, and where in my memory I was looking through the school gates and seeing scores of bairns in short trousers running and turning and birling and swinging and playing at being Spitfires shooting down the Jerries, there was nothing but wee houses. It's irrational, I know, but I felt a kind of sadness that part of my history had been bulldozed into oblivion.

I have no photographs from that time. And if any others who have history in Kinning Park have any pictures of the streets from that time, it would be wonderful to see them.

Alex

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
carmella
post 16th Nov 2009, 06:13pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Alex
if you go to Virtual Mitchell and do a search you'll come up with 76 photos of Kinning Park - many will be way before your time, but up to the 50s and 60s I bet some of the old buildings, and certainly the streets will still be the same. You'll find as you go through that there are pictures from 1900 mixed in with those of 1964 or 1970 etc., no definite order.

If you just keep clicking 'next' you'll get up to 1964 and beyond.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...iO30=&pg=27

I also found 2 or 3 of your old school.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 16th Nov 2009, 06:15pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Alex, I may have a couple of old pictures of the plots behind McLellan St., (you can just make out the wee swing park that was there in one but the other is of a cousin with the family dog and not very focused. I will see if I can locate them but it will take a wee while. I will also ask my cousin, if she has any. She was just a few years younger than my Mum and sort of inherited all the old pics. But she also stayed in McLellan St., although her married name was Anderson. My g'aunt Helen (Nellie) stayed down near the bottom end, first floor. She was the one that walked to McLellan St. the night of the Clydebank blitz. Other names I remember from around there are, Hughes, Heart,Sinclair, McKay, Skinner, Bilsland. My, the more you think, the more you remember. I also have an old picture of our class at Scotland St. with a lot of names on it, will try and dig that out too. Have to dig into the family tree and I haven't done that for a while. Do you remember the lady who had the dairy, I think on the south side of The Paisley Rd. W just past 66 who used to give Xmas parties at her house, which was across the street and a wee bit further up. The picture halls were numerous, with the Lorne, Capital, Corky, Mosspark, Aldwich and Westway all coming to mind. We used to walk from the Paisley Rd. as far as the Aldwich and Westway on fine Saturday afternoons. There used to be a great little bakery on the same street as the Cessnock subway but you had to cross the Paisley Rd. to get to it. By the way, just a wee family note, my Uncle John spent nearly all his demob money in the little cafe just to the right, as you came out of the close at 66, well at least, that it the family story. Well he also bought a juke box! By the way another name is Agnes McLean, I did not know her but her Mum was a great friend of my Gran's.

+Quote Post
tradeston lassie
post 16th Mar 2010, 09:34pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,268
Hi Gallusbisom, I was interested in your names, I am researching my husbands family tree, and he has Musgroves, and Barbours, in his tree, his gggrandmother was a Catherine McGinnis wo had a daughter Isabella who married a William Musgrove, would this be connected to you, would love to hear from you, I am a Tradeston lassie myself, but he his frojm govan

+Quote Post
eieio
post 23rd Mar 2010, 10:45am
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,298
I was looking for old photos of Kinning Park when I stumbled on this website. Just like Gallusbisom, my granny also lived at 66 Paisley Rd West and all six members of my family were born there...before,like Alex McPhee, we were all farmed out to Pollok. I have very clear memories of the place...my granny's name was McLellan and her next door neighbour was Mrs Stirling. They were great pals ..Mrs Stirling was in The Orange Order and my granny was a devout Catholic...but every year we all, granny included,hung out the window at 66 to wave to Mrs Stirling when "The Walk" came past. We were on the top floor and I think the Hislpos were there...and I remember Susan and Bill McDonald who had a daughter Aileen and a son Iain (he had Cerebral Palsy}lived on the ground floor at the entrance to the close. The Crescent Bar was next door (on the corner of Rutland Crescent). I also remember Curleys (oddly enough for exactly the same reasons as Alex McPhee) as well as The Criterion Cafe up near The Toll and Galls the haberdashery shop....as well as The Gaumont ? or was it The Odeon that later became The Irish Club for a while....The Old Toll Bar, Woolies,The Clachan....boy are the memories coming back now !
I haven't been in Glasgow for 32 years so maybe some of the places are still there. Will be back in August...but I don't suppose I will recognise much of it.
I would love to see any photos that anyone has of the area (I know about Mitchell site) When I was there in '78 I was determined to get a photo of 66 before they pulled it down....but never managed it...hence my search.....progress is diabolical intit !

+Quote Post
**Steve**
post 24th Mar 2010, 05:45pm
Post #15

FAO eieio

Saw that you were looking for old photos of KP, ive just found what looks to be a good site, in the process of going through it myself ... "urbanglasgow.co.uk"(various interesting links to other sites).
Noticed a few good photos of KP, theres a good one of Admiral Street (circa 1973) you can clearly see Jim Baxters pub, I worked in the butchers shop that was there, "Robert Edwards" the newsagents shop that was next to the butchers shop was owned Robert Edwards brother, you can see the two steps you had to climb to enter the shop, not sure when these shops closed but it was a crackin place to work and live, I lived in Seaward Street, hope this is useful to you.
Regards
Steve.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.