Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvinhaugh
Rating 1 V
*Dan Harvey*
post 25th Jun 2012, 12:49pm
Post #16

QUOTE (florrie @ 12th Apr 2009, 12:52am) *
Hi All,
I lived in 5, dock st kelvinhaugh my name was florrie crooks my dad used to work iwth bubbly young until he was killed in an accident way back in about 1949, i'd love to here from anyoe who is sitll alive & remembers our family my eamils is flolatta@sympatico.ca

Hi Florrie,
Have just learned of this site and your message was the first one on the list but was dated April 2009 so hopefully I,m not too late in replying. My name is Dan Harvey and I was born at 12 Sandyford St way back in 1927 bur spent most of my Haugh days living at 1 Dock St. I knew both your parents and also your brothers Jimmy and Eddy and almost everyone else who came from the Haugh. I know that Eddy emigrated to Canada and settled in Toronto and that he was in touch with Billy (Stud) McGurk aand his nephew Frisco Ianello who like yourself was born at 5 Dock St. I left the haugh in 1968 and moved to Knightswood but I still pay an occasional visit to the old place. I think the school is all that remains of the old days but but just walking along Gilbert St down Sandyfford St and back along Kelvinhaugh St is great therapy for me at my advanced age. Hope you and the family are all well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ange11
post 22nd Apr 2013, 12:30pm
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 23,384
My dad was from the Haugh and lived in 1 Dock street John McTaggart (Taggs) i came across this site and told him about it and he recognised a few blasts from the past.

+Quote Post
*Jim Street*
post 8th Aug 2014, 06:58pm
Post #18

Hi, does anyone remember Chana Garrow from 50 Haugh Road and Jockey Garrow who worked in Bubbly Youngs. The Temple Bar and the Frying Pan favourite watering holes in the day.

+Quote Post
dougalgrant1
post 25th Aug 2014, 04:29pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,494
Hi Donnie Grant here,

Picked up on the posts above and i can see that my family name has been mentioned i lived in the top flat of 3 Dock Street. i lived next door to Eddie Boyce and his family. Your brother Eddie Crooks was pals with my brother Albert.

Everybody that has replied on this post are familar names to me.

It would be nice to hear from you all fa, the Haugh.

Any of the old chunky boys still about i would like to hear from them.

Aw ra best
Donnie Grant

+Quote Post
*Heather MCMINIGAL*
post 21st Jan 2015, 11:55am
Post #20

QUOTE (sandkin @ 7th Jan 2011, 05:13pm) *
Hi eddie, its sandra mckenzie here, i happened to come across this sight. How are you doing.

Hi All,

My name is Heather and I was born in 1947 in Stobhill and from then
I lived at 216 Kelvinhaugh Street, brothers Robert and Francis and sister Hazel Mclean. I went to Kelvinhaugh Primary and Miss Hepburn was my first teacher. I don't remember many names but Susan Sneddon and her sister lived next door. I have a photo of the primary 1 class and it shows Mary Hunter and Marion and A blond boy called Philip. We had a front door and a bathroom, so very lucky. My Dad, Robert McLean was a good friend of Gavin Bone and this family were one of the first to get. Tv in the street, I think. We all used to go to Gavin Bone junior's house to see Children's hour. A few years back, I went to the school. And met the janitor, Beatrice. Her father was ages with my brothers and she thought he had a photo of our house but I never got a copy or heard any further. There was a sweet shop next to us and a Policeman's Box. We used to buy halfpenny oxo cubes from the wee shop in Dock Street. My Granny came to live with us and we were rehoused to Knightswood and a different world around 1954. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers us.

Great to find this site.

+Quote Post
mathieson1
post 21st Jan 2015, 03:09pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,335
QUOTE (frank mclean @ 31st Dec 2011, 07:37pm) *
just found this site, know jack alexander well and the names mentioned in earlier post. I lived in the haugh, 216 kelvinhaugh st and went to the haugh school 1945 to 1953.Went to Woodside with james matheson and james boyce and was in the 212 BB. went to 2 summer camps in the early 50's with jackie.

Hi, I was born 1940 at 33 ? Gilbert St and went to the Haugh school then Woodside, I,m Billy Mathieson but my brothers Jim and Alex didn,t . I also was in the 212 B.B. My best pal was Eric Johnson who lived in the same close as well as the Glasgow family upstair.Mrs Glasgow and Mrs, Johnson used to look after me when I was a wee yin and I do remember Marion Harvey who lived round the corner. Happy memories indeed. We never forget our roots.

+Quote Post
*jean boyd*
post 30th Jan 2015, 11:58am
Post #22

I came from Dock Street and was born 1949. My name is Jean Cowan. I have a sister Christine and a brother John. My mothers maiden name was Oliphant. I went to Kelvinhaugh School.

+Quote Post
**Charburn**
post 13th Jun 2015, 06:40pm
Post #23

QUOTE (dougalgrant1 @ 25th Aug 2014, 04:37pm) *
Hi Donnie Grant here,

Picked up on the posts above and i can see that my family name has been mentioned i lived in the top flat of 3 Dock Street. i lived next door to Eddie Boyce and his family. Your brother Eddie Crooks was pals with my brother Albert.

Everybody that has replied on this post are familar names to me.

It would be nice to hear from you all fa, the Haugh.

Any of the old chunky boys still about i would like to hear from them.

Aw ra best
Donnie Grant

+Quote Post
simona
post 28th Oct 2015, 04:15pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 31,724
Hi, Simona from Italy here.
My mum is Leslie Mac Dougall, she was born in 220 Kelvinhaugh Street in 1941.
Her father was Alexander Nairne Mac Dougall, my grandmother was Molly
and his brother was William (Billy).
She went to Kelvinhaugh Primary School.
Anyone remembers my mum or the Mac Dougall family?
Please let me know.
Thank you.
Simona

+Quote Post
Mlm
post 29th Feb 2016, 09:09am
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,721
QUOTE (Dan Harvey @ 25th Jun 2012, 12:57pm) *
Hi Florrie,
Have just learned of this site and your message was the first one on the list but was dated April 2009 so hopefully I,m not too late in replying. My name is Dan Harvey and I was born at 12 Sandyford St way back in 1927 bur spent most of my Haugh days living at 1 Dock St. I knew both your parents and also your brothers Jimmy and Eddy and almost everyone else who came from the Haugh. I know that Eddy emigrated to Canada and settled in Toronto and that he was in touch with Billy (Stud) McGurk aand his nephew Frisco Ianello who like yourself was born at 5 Dock St. I left the haugh in 1968 and moved to Knightswood but I still pay an occasional visit to the old place. I think the school is all that remains of the old days but but just walking along Gilbert St down Sandyfford St and back along Kelvinhaugh St is great therapy for me at my advanced age. Hope you and the family are all well.

+Quote Post
Mlm
post 29th Feb 2016, 09:11am
Post #26

Unpacking
Hi,Dan,Did you work as. Storeman for bubbly youngs in kelvinhaugh st.

+Quote Post
Mlm
post 29th Feb 2016, 09:22am
Post #27

Unpacking
QUOTE (Heather MCMINIGAL @ 21st Jan 2015, 12:03pm) *
Hi All,

My name is Heather and I was born in 1947 in Stobhill and from then
I lived at 216 Kelvinhaugh Street, brothers Robert and Francis and sister Hazel Mclean. I went to Kelvinhaugh Primary and Miss Hepburn was my first teacher. I don't remember many names but Susan Sneddon and her sister lived next door. I have a photo of the primary 1 class and it shows Mary Hunter and Marion and A blond boy called Philip. We had a front door and a bathroom, so very lucky. My Dad, Robert McLean was a good friend of Gavin Bone and this family were one of the first to get. Tv in the street, I think. We all used to go to Gavin Bone junior's house to see Children's hour. A few years back, I went to the school. And met the janitor, Beatrice. Her father was ages with my brothers and she thought he had a photo of our house but I never got a copy or heard any further. There was a sweet shop next to us and a Policeman's Box. We used to buy halfpenny oxo cubes from the wee shop in Dock Street. My Granny came to live with us and we were rehoused to Knightswood and a different world around 1954. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers us.

Great to find this site.

Hi Heather,Do you remember a girl called Linda Frame,I moved and have lived in England many years ago and I always wondered what became of her.

+Quote Post
*alexander drake*
post 24th Jun 2016, 08:58am
Post #28

QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 05:45pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Kelvinhaugh

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Kelvinhaugh

GG.Eddie Boyce

My dad Drakie lived in Dock Street and Blackie Street, my grandmother Sadie Drake (nee Girvan) was born and raised in the Haugh her whole life, they had 3 sons Alex, Ronnie and Stephen.

+Quote Post
Mlm
post 23rd Aug 2016, 08:24am
Post #29

Unpacking
QUOTE (Mlm @ 29th Feb 2016, 10:22am) *
Hi Heather,Do you remember a girl called Linda Frame,I moved and have lived in England many years ago and I always wondered what became of her.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.