Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvinhaugh
Rating 1 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:45pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Kelvinhaugh

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Kelvinhaugh

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
florrie
post 11th Apr 2009, 11:37pm
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,028
Hi All,
I lived in 5, dock st kelvinhaugh my name was florrie crooks my dad used to work iwth bubbly young until he was killed in an accident way back in about 1949, i'd love to here from anyone who is sitll alive & remembers our family my eamils is flolatta@sympatico.ca

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 12th Apr 2009, 12:30am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Hi Florrie,

Ahmm, alive jist, ah think.

Great tae see you, come oan in huv wee seat and pit yer feet up.

Right you loat, whos turn tae pit the kettle aon and get the cakes in!?

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
mortymoose
post 22nd Jul 2009, 12:38pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 7,224
Good afternoon from Namibia, My father Jack Alexander was born up the Comet Close 210 Kelvinhaugh Street in 1941 and is currently sitting right here next to me exploring this fantastic site.

His memories of that era and place:

I remember a David Crooks who lived in Dock Street.

Went to Kelvinhaugh School till 1954. Then Woodside, Left the haugh around 1963 and moved to the Kingsway....

Lived next door to Danny and Hughie McGuire.... names I remember from those days.....

Davie Johnston, Jim Mattheson, Jim Ferguson, The McGee's, The Boyces...... to many to mention .....

The old chunkie boys...

Anyone remember my dad?

--------------------
Son of A Clydesider!

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 15th Dec 2009, 12:51pm
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
Wasn't at school there myself, but two close connections in the family taught there probably around the time your dad wa there. They always spoke of the place (never badly) so I think it was memorable for them. Spoke about it so much I feel I know it myself.
Sadly can't ask them now if if they remember your dad.

+Quote Post
mortymoose
post 7th May 2010, 12:08pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 7,224
@ Keno,

My Dad is around for his yearly PC Visit, out of curiousity what were the names of yer folks!

Regards

Jock from "The Haugh"

--------------------
Son of A Clydesider!

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 8th May 2010, 07:10am
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
Both were female, not too many male primary teachers in these days, or at least not many I came across. Names were Matheson and Randall.

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 12th May 2010, 12:01am
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
When I was an apprentice painter, I worked for the Corpy. I was sent to work at Kelvinhaugh Fire Station.
I used to get there by the ferry at Stag Street, Govan. (And that wisnae yisterdae - circa 1975?)

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
charmcg
post 12th May 2010, 12:35pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 7,636
QUOTE (mortymoose @ 22nd Jul 2009, 12:41pm) *
Good afternoon from Namibia, My father Jack Alexander was born up the Comet Close 210 Kelvinhaugh Street in 1941 and is currently sitting right here next to me exploring this fantastic site.

Went to Kelvinhaugh School till 1954. Then Woodside, Left the haugh around 1963 and moved to the Kingsway....

Lived next door to Danny and Hughie McGuire.... names I remember from those days.....

Davie Johnston, Jim Mattheson, Jim Ferguson, The McGee's, The Boyces...... to many to mention .....

The old chunkie boys...

Anyone remember my dad?

Dont recallyour dads name but we lived at 55 Ferry rd and drank in the Stirling Castle Bar run by Andie Main Hughie was married to Isobell and we ran about with them Danny was killed in a car crash on his way home from work (skidded on wet leaves ) this was in the late sixties we are Charlotte & Bill McGrath 70 and 74 years of age so round about your dads age ,we moved to East Kilbride in 73 so lost touch with the old crowd ,couple of other names John&Marion Harvey,Harry Nairn the Oliphants

+Quote Post
Eddie Boyce
post 4th Nov 2010, 04:47pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,182
QUOTE (charlotte mc grath @ 12th May 2010, 12:21pm) *
Dont recallyour dads name but we lived at 55 Ferry rd and drank in the Stirling Castle Bar run by Andie Main Hughie was married to Isobell and we ran about with them Danny was killed in a car crash on his way home from work (skidded on wet leaves ) this was in the late sixties we are Charlotte & Bill McGrath 70 and 74 years of age so round about your dads age ,we moved to East Kilbride in 73 so lost touch with the old crowd ,couple of other names John&Marion Harvey,Harry Nairn the Oliphants

Hi it's Eddie Boyce here I remember your dad and his brother (Matt) very well. They played left and right back for the 212 boys brigade football team. I was born on 3 dock street next door to the Grants. My cousins the Hossacks lived in the close. A member of the Haugh Chunky.

TO BILLY MCGRATH- Andy main lives down beside me in Troon still see most of the old crowed.

+Quote Post
sandkin
post 7th Jan 2011, 04:56pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,397
Hi eddie, its sandra mckenzie here, i happened to come across this sight. How are you doing.

+Quote Post
sandkin
post 7th Jan 2011, 04:59pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,397
QUOTE (mortymoose @ 22nd Jul 2009, 12:16pm) *

The old chunkie boys...

Anyone remember my dad?

+Quote Post
Eddie Boyce
post 10th Feb 2011, 05:02pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,182
QUOTE (sandkin @ 7th Jan 2011, 04:34pm) *
Hi eddie, its sandra mckenzie here, i happened to come across this sight. How are you doing.

Hi Sandra its nice to hear from you , I am doing fine, enjoying retirement, not been in the Haugh much since my mum died, still visit the west end as my son lives there now. Hope you are well, are you still in Blackie Street?

+Quote Post
frank mclean
post 31st Dec 2011, 07:20pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,281
just found this site, know jack alexander well and the names mentioned in earlier post. I lived in the haugh, 216 kelvinhaugh st and went to the haugh school 1945 to 1953.Went to Woodside with james matheson and james boyce and was in the 212 BB. went to 2 summer camps in the early 50's with jackie.

+Quote Post
*dorothy Maclean*
post 7th Jun 2012, 12:54pm
Post #15

i was born in overnewton street and lived in the swing park when i was a kid. happy memories of kelvinhaugh

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.