Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govanhill
stratson
post 13th Dec 2013, 03:03pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Guest @ 2nd Jul 2013, 04:36am) *
Stratson,

My grandmother, Margaret Watson lived downstairs from Lila, at 19 Batson Street and my brother used to play with her Grandson Greg. Remember her fondly, we stayed in Govanhill Street.

I remember your Grandmother, also Alex her grandson, where in G/hill street were you?
yes Lila lived in my father's house, we lost Lila in 1981, Greg was killed 1999 aged 30, at least Lila was gone and did not have to live through his death, my niece Marilyn, his Mum, died of a broken heart xmas 2006, her husband passed away 2012. Lila's husband survived until November 2012 aged 87.
Trust you have traced your other relatives.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulG
post 22nd Apr 2014, 06:51pm
Post #47

Settling In
Member No.: 14
QUOTE (*Alan* @ 30th Mar 2012, 05:03pm) *
3. Calder cinema - 302, Calder Street - Opened 25.4.32 by Harry Winocour (W Regent) Arch. Cowieson's. s. 1,250. Sold, 1954, to Green's. Cl. 1967. Bingo until 1972. Dem. 1981.
[attachment=37662:govanhill3.jpg]

Saw my first "unaccompanied by adult" film at the Calder around 1964/65. It was "The Long Ships" starring Richard Widmark and Sydney Poitier. The Calder looks really shabby in that photo. I don't know if you are aware but some time after it closed as a cinema, it was used as a church. Our Lady of Consolation in Inglefield street burnt down and they used the Calder as a temporary church while the new one in Inglefield street was rebuilt.

+Quote Post
PaulG
post 22nd Apr 2014, 06:58pm
Post #48

Settling In
Member No.: 14
QUOTE (joycewilson @ 7th Sep 2012, 05:49pm) *
Some of Govanhill Area. Taken 27th May 2012.

[attachment=39064:Allison_...2012__2_.jpg]

That's my old house, the flat directly above the Halal meat place. That shop used to be "Le petit unique" cafe in my day. Nice to see the old supports for the trolley bus cables between the first and second floors are still there.

+Quote Post
**Rose**
post 12th Jul 2014, 01:58pm
Post #49

QUOTE (*monalisa* @ 25th Oct 2011, 11:52pm) *
I was born at number 11 Seath Street,in my grannies house, in 1958. She was called Martha Hendry and my grandpa was called Andrew Hendry. My grannie died in the 90's. We lived there for a while when my mum and dad split up, in the late 60's. I went to Holycross for a little while, don't know how long for, my memory is not that great. I can remember the Mcquilters, who lived across the road,and the eldest daughter was my friend at the time. We moved to England,but used to visit when ever we could. We are Billy, Jackie, Liz, Andrew and Deenna Milligan. Does anybody remember us?

+Quote Post
*Paul Kyle*
post 17th Jul 2014, 04:50am
Post #50

11 Seath Street bottom flat is where my mum was brought up by my gran Bella McWilliams. My mum Isa and her sister Ina and older brother Peter all stayed. I often stayed there and actually went to Victoria Primary School for a few years. Her family McWilliams all stayed locally.

I do remember her wee pal Mattie Hendry upstairs and I think I played about with her grandson Andy ? I was born 1960 so that will give you idea of timescales.

Paul Kyle

+Quote Post
*Barry Webster*
post 8th Nov 2014, 09:47pm
Post #51

Brought up with my sister in 56 Boyd Street, have fond memories of Calder Street Primary School, then Queens Park.
I wore my Govanhill upbringing with pride........." Snob end of the Gorbals" lol
Sad, very sad to see what's happened..who to blame, surely not just time. The Evening Times You Tube thingy, mentioned unbridled immigration and unscrupulous landlords.........

+Quote Post
Dougan
post 9th Jan 2015, 10:47am
Post #52

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,457
QUOTE (Paul Kyle @ 17th Jul 2014, 05:07am) *
11 Seath Street bottom flat is where my mum was brought up by my gran Bella McWilliams. My mum Isa and her sister Ina and older brother Peter all stayed. I often stayed there and actually went to Victoria Primary School for a few years. Her family McWilliams all stayed locally.

I do remember her wee pal Mattie Hendry upstairs and I think I played about with her grandson Andy ? I was born 1960 so that will give you idea of timescales.

Paul Kyle

+Quote Post
Dougan
post 9th Jan 2015, 10:58am
Post #53

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,457
Hi Paul we stayed at 16 Seath St bottom house across from your gran there was 11 of us back then big family's I went to school with a Linda McWilliams I remember she had a big brother Peter think a younger sister Beth it was a big family also remember a woman called granny Shaw she wasn't related she did the teacups , we left and moved to Carfin St when I was about 3 or 4 stayed there till I was 15 they pulled our houses down to make the health centre I went to Holy Cross Infants and then primary

+Quote Post
*PeWiNL*
post 21st Jan 2015, 11:56am
Post #54

Thomas Watson

Is there anyone who can help me with my search for any relatives of World War II casualty Thomas Watson, 40yrs old, son of Robert and Elizabeth Watson, of Glasgow; husband of Margaret Watson. of Anniesland, Glasgow.

He died november 21, 1944 and is buried in Maasbree cemetery, The Netherlands.

Any directions where to look or whom to contact are very welcome.

Thank you very much.

+Quote Post
clarkie57
post 21st Sep 2015, 10:13pm
Post #55

Visitor
Member No.: 30,848
My mother was born at 37 Carfin street in August 1935. Her surname was Armstrong but I think the person who lived in the house was called Reid. Can anybody out here tell me anything about this area.

+Quote Post
*Andrea Nicol*
post 3rd Aug 2016, 04:40am
Post #56

QUOTE (Barry Webster @ 8th Nov 2014, 09:47pm) *
Brought up with my sister in 56 Boyd Street, have fond memories of Calder Street Primary School, then Queens Park.
I wore my Govanhill upbringing with pride........." Snob end of the Gorbals" lol
Sad, very sad to see what's happened..who to blame, surely not just time. The Evening Times You Tube thingy, mentioned unbridled immigration and unscrupulous landlords.........

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.