Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drumchapel
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:27pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Drumchapel

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Drumchapel

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 19th May 2007, 11:27pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
I had 23 years in Drumchapel. Wonderful comunity spirit after coming from the deepest Bridgeton in 1970. Some folk said Dalmarnock though. The culture shock was the indoor toilet. We never had to ask a neighbour for the toilet key again, when they forgot to return it. We moved on a Friday, as my mum used to say Saturday flitting, short sitting.. Well that was 23 years until we moved in 1993. I posted a message before, all my previous houses have been demolished. Even the schools seem to have fallen by the wayside. Times were pleasant, and games a plenty. We looked onto a large grassed area with the Garscadden Woods in the distance. I recall the time walking up through the woods with two washing poles to give to my sister in Bearsden. I stood at a certain clear spot and waved poles so my wee maw could see with my binoculars! I was there for the Rane Place explosion in May 1978. That was a scary moment. For months that terrace sat with an "open view". I could now see Waverley School from my bedroom. Even in 1992 when it was scheduled for demolition, you could see the idiots running across the roof. One abiding memory was the shops closing at 1pm till 2.30pm. Although the Co-op took their half day.

+Quote Post
*ANGELA DEVLIN ( NEE JUNNER)*
post 5th Aug 2007, 07:53pm
Post #3

Although i was only 11 years old at the time of the Raine Place explosion in May 1978, i remember it well, it was truly shocking. Me and my sister Sonja were at the Guides in the church hall and we were rehearsing for a show, whilst on the stage we heard a huge rumbling noise and lots of banging and people screaming and shouting. The hall was quickly evacuated and it was then that we had discovered the terrible explosion. We (the Junners) lived in Ryedale Place at the time and my brother Colin drove an ice cream van round the scheme he was actually at Raine Place at the time of the incident thankfully he was unhurt, i remember a man named Frazer, cant mind his first name tho, he lived in one of the houses that was involved in the explosion sadly he was at home at the time however he was rescued. A few of my pals lived in Raine place and all were evacuated. My older brother John assisted in the aid of rescuing the trapped people along with his mates, i think it was caused by lead piping being stripped from the roofs of the tenement houses by youngsters. Yes it was months that Raine Place lay with a huge gap in the houses, all us youngsters thought this was amazing as you could see St Pius primary school from our house little do we know now just how lucky we were not to have been involved in the explosion. Sadly now all of this area in Drumchapel has gone, just grass land, Waverley Secondary School, which i attended, is now a site for houses i believe. Memories last forever though best of luck to all who remain there.

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 5th Nov 2007, 12:51am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
I lived in Drumchapel for years,summerhill road above the shops.
I remember the explotion in raine place,our hoose shook wae it
as we where just down the road from it.
I loved druchapel thats were I spent my childhood,happy memories smile.gif
and great people.I also stayed facing waverly secondary before
moving to cloan avenue as they were pulling down all the houses
to build the new sumerhill primary school.It has all changed since
I lived there.

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 5th Nov 2007, 01:26am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
A lot of my school pals stayed in Drumchapel [Inchfad Drive, Fettercairn Avenue, Monymusk Place] and I used to love going out to see them. Houses with kitchens and bathrooms, a rarity for me. I thought I was great because we had a toilet in the house and not on the stairhead, but to actually have a bathroom was a rare luxury. Happy days!

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 5th Nov 2007, 01:37am
Post #6

City Key Holder
hi maryhillgal, my brothers old girlfriend stayed in inchfad drive
monymusk place was that up the hill ?

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 5th Nov 2007, 02:08am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Cannae remember Celtchic, it's that long ago. I am going back to then 50's here. I cannae remember 2 minutes ago never mind the 1950's.

Cannae remember Celtchic, it's that long ago. I am going back to the 50's here. I cannae remember 2 minutes ago never mind the 1950's.

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 5th Nov 2007, 02:11am
Post #8

City Key Holder
laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm a bit like that myself at times

+Quote Post
annepat
post 15th Nov 2007, 07:19pm
Post #9

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,300
Was born at home there, 276 Drumchapel Road. Molder sister and two brothers went to St Pius Secondary. Now my grand-daughter goes to nursery there in the Drumchapel Family Learning Centre, her mum is a nursery nurse in there too.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 15th Nov 2007, 07:40pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
I worked on the first school a primary school in Drumchapel i think it was back in 1956 i had just started my apprenticeship as an electrician i really thought i was the bees knees when you have just turned 16 you feel you are on top of the world . That was when Dunlop tyre factory was out there also so it is a lot of years ago ,i just suddenly feel old tongue.gif

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 15th Nov 2007, 09:15pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
I stayed in drumchapel for about 20 years, I went tae st.sixtus primary & then st.pius secondary.
I stayed above the shops in summerhill road and have lots of happy memories of my childhood there.I then moved tae knightswood & then I got my own house in summerhill rd across the road fae waverley secondary.the houses where being demolished so I got a move tae cloan ave.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 16th Nov 2007, 06:40am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I had a friend who lived in Moraine Drive in a bungalow there, that was before they started to build the corporation houses in the early 50s.

+Quote Post
The Duke of Drum...
post 27th Nov 2007, 02:16am
Post #13

Settling In
Member No.: 5,182
I lived and worked (part time) in Drumchapel. Our Family moved from Maryhill in 1964 to this new place l had never heard of before called Drumchapel. We had an inside toilet in Maryhill but no bath, and at times l wish we hadn’t as my grandmother insisted we bathed in cold water if there was no hot water (bloody immersers). I remember that across from Drumry School there was a farm and one day we found a giant rat nailed to a tree, well you can imagine, every wean in Drumry School running across Drumry Road to see this monster of a rat nailed by its tail to the tree. Sadly Drumry School is about to be demolished as the weans are now at the new school on the other side of Abbotshall Drive. Living and growing up in Drumchapel wasn’t as bad as some would have you believe, well at least not for us. We lived in Dunkenny Road which has changed little since it was built and it has even escaped the demolition crew in there latest remodernisation of the 'Drum'.
How many of us can remember the shopping centre back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Long before Gateway and Somerfield supermarkets, Drumchapel Shopping Centre or the Arndale Shopping Centre as it was known was a great place to shop. Shops like the upstairs restaurant, Cochrane’s?, the Laundrette, Woolworths, John Menzies at the front of the shops then you had Clydebank Co-op, paint shop, shoe shop, chemist, butcher, Bowie-Castlebank laundrette at the left hand side of Dunkenny Square (remember the giant triangular Arndale Shopping Centre sign and the water fountain and the underground toilets) A Chinese restaurant and the Gas board showroom (below the caretakers house) on the right of the square even a Arnotts department store at the top of the square. Further up there was Sellyens clothes shop, Mckays clothes shop, a paint shop and a printers. Beyond that was the Bookies then an Off Sales then 'The Golden Garter' night club and 'The Hills Hotel' with 'The Rigg Public Bar' on the ground level of the hotel, which is were l worked from 1979 until its closure in 1988. Next to 'The Hills Hotel' was Ronaldos Chippy then further up was 'The Girning Gates' pub and across from it was Presto's supermarket (now Drumchapel Opportunities). There are shops that l just can’t remember so if you know them please add them to the list.

If you click on the below link it will take you to my photos of Drumchapel. Click on the photos to enlarge them.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/562170@N21/

Hope you enjoy and remember the better times spent in ‘The Drum’.

If you have any photos taken in Drumchapel, regardless of quality, please email them to me and l will put them up on the site. I am trying to get 1000 photos and so far there are about 250, so come on help me out here.

Thanks,
The Duke of Drumchapel

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 27th Nov 2007, 05:53pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Hi Duke,,,,,, loved the photies and in particular the one of the street at night ,,Lass smile.gif

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 27th Nov 2007, 09:46pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Great story Duke and wonderful photo's.
Welcome to the board! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.