Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dennistoun
Marie Mclean (Mc...
post 22nd Mar 2009, 12:37pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,687
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 05:13pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Dennistoun

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Dennistoun

GG.

I was brought up in Plant Street in the 60s. We had an outside toilet and Mum used to fill an old tin bath every Sunday for our weekly bath! We had great fun playing round the midgy bins in the back court. We would play at kiss catch torture and kick the can. Only the very brave would hide in the dungey. I was an only child, so a wee bit better off than some of the larger families, but I remember all of us kids were very happy. My father kept a pony in the old stables on Duke Street. I spent many happy days in there being spoiled by all my dads rag and bone mates and helping with the horses. Oh happy happy days. My summers were spent in Campbeltown. My Mum comes from there and is living there now. She worked in Macfarlane Langs biscuit factory. Our whole family lived in the same close at number 33. All from Campbeltown. Mum used to bring home broken biscuits for all the kids.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*sharon calder*
post 10th Apr 2009, 04:19pm
Post #32

all of my aunts and uncles went to thomson street as did i they where lindsay and heron surname florence micheal robert roseann maureen violet my mum married francis calder im sharon calder went thro school with best friend dawn bryant all my family went on to either onslow drive or whitehill would love to here from any school friends of my family or me

+Quote Post
*Ian*
post 16th Jan 2010, 12:47am
Post #33

QUOTE (Jim Wilson @ 23rd Jun 2007, 12:35am) *
When I was born in 1936 at 26 Abercromby St.
Then we moved to 12 Craigmore St.
when I was 3 we moved to 18 Aitken St and we stayed there until 1960 then moved to the new town of Cumbernauld, called up there last year whilst touring Scotland and it was a shambles.
left there 1961 and came to New Zealand now retired and enjoying the good life.

I lived in Craigmore st too around 1968 but have never been able to find any history or pics of it.

+Quote Post
**Jill**
post 27th Jan 2010, 11:57pm
Post #34

QUOTE (sharon calder @ 10th Apr 2009, 04:17pm) *
all of my aunts and uncles went to thomson street as did i they where lindsay and heron surname florence micheal robert roseann maureen violet my mum married francis calder im sharon calder went thro school with best friend dawn bryant all my family went on to either onslow drive or whitehill would love to here from any school friends of my family or me

Hi.. I lived at 151 Sword Street between the year 1969 (born) to circa 1977. Our family name was Ryan. Both myself and my older brother went briefly to Thomson Street Primary School. I have great memories of living in Dennistoun and the freedom we had to wander the streets as small kids and the streets were FULL of kids. I believe that all kids from aged 4 became street wise beyond their years.

I remember....
Playing kick the can in the backie.
Dancing and singing on top of the midgie bin housing to entertain all the mums & housewives who were hangin ooot the back windaes watchin.. rolleyes.gif
Shock horror, wandering along the railway line searching for crab apples and having to lie back in the bush when a train passed, OMG.. eating!!! the crab apples which were most probably poisonous with toxic fumes.. haha.
I remember calling everybody Auntie and Uncle in the tenement we lived.
The Bower family that lived downstairs.
My first "boyfriend" Mark Scott who lived on the ground floor.
My best friend Jacqueline Connor who lived across the street. - Where are they now, I wonder.
Playing hide and seek in the condemned tenements in a neighboring street... condemned because they were falling down.. hmmm. .. but yet a wonderful playground at the time.
Hearing the sound of the drums as the Orange Walk paraded down Duke Street and all the kids running for streets to find it, as young at 4!
The best italian ice cream parlor on the corner of Sword St and Duke St. Beautiful classic cafe. I remember it vividly, as I do the owner...a small chubby Italian man with a hint of a Glasgow accent. Total eccentric. Wonderful.
Hearing church bells and running like to wind to catch the scramble (pennies thrown at a wedding for kids to "fight" for..), you and 50 other kids!!
Collecting glass bottles and receiving some pennies for them at the shop, then buying a "poke" of 3 for a half penny sports gums... bliss.
A bull escaping from the slaughterhouse on Duke St and trapping my mum and I in a phone box...Oh.. haha

I have an endless list of events and memories that would shock parents of today to the core, I myself now being a parent. But we survived and I have but great memories of having a carefree, playful, adventurous and fearless childhood.

If there is anyone here who remembers us living there or lived in this neighbourhood around this time, i would love to hear from you.

Jill

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 17th Feb 2010, 07:44pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Lovely wee stories there Jill, ye sound jist as daft as me.

Did the same thing wi railway strolls, walked through the tunnel up at Alex Parade / Barnhill many a time, ducking intae the deidman holes when a train came scudding alang. Wus mair scart o' getting caught wi the railway polis than getting squished by a train.

How did we survive, it's a wee miracle.

I had a wee pal who lived wi his Maw in Sword St, jist aboot the timeframe you mentioned. Was called Shuggie Someit or Other, cannea recall atm, some pal, eh!

He was a wee guy, wi curly hair and went to Whitehill school.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
dougmc
post 19th Feb 2010, 03:05pm
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,153
Hi all from Oz downunder!

Interesting to read your accounts. My great grandparents and their family lived at 594 Duke Street.

Sadly, I guess there may be nothing there anymore.

George McIndoe was a shoemaker and died in 1897. One of his sons George became a builder moved to Oz in 1907 and settled in Melbourne where I hail from!

I wonder if any of you still know of any McIndoe's in the Dennistoun area?

cheers from downunder

Dougmc

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 21st Mar 2010, 10:42pm
Post #37

i lived at 54 mcintosh street, off dunchatten street at duke street. i went to golfhill primary then on to onslow drive secondary.

my old man had a "cobbler" shop in dunchatten street. i used to hang around my "auntie lina's" ice cream cafe. anybody out there recognise these details?

big jo....

+Quote Post
*rab keay*
post 17th Sep 2010, 11:01pm
Post #38

QUOTE (Guest @ 21st Mar 2010, 11:44pm) *
i lived at 54 mcintosh street, off dunchatten street at duke street. i went to golfhill primary then on to onslow drive secondary.

my old man had a "cobbler" shop in dunchatten street. i used to hang around my "auntie lina's" ice cream cafe. anybody out there recognise these details?

big jo....

big joe just read your message, i myself stayed at fifty dunchattan st above lena,s cafe.born and bred in single end straight across from cafe next to chippy. mother and father moved to to new house at top of street. dad worked in wardens the butcher,on corner of dunchattan st and mcintosh street. i myself went to golfhill then onslow drive

+Quote Post
beth
post 7th Jan 2011, 08:13pm
Post #39

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
just picked up this thread now.Allan lived in lower Fisher Street from birth 1947 until we married and emigrated to 57 Edmund Street in 1969. We left there in 1972 to move to SA. Used to buy my oysters and ginger from lena's cafe. Aunt Jean lived up the road in Cardross street. allan's brother, Walter lived up the top end of Dunchattan Street. family name Duncan

+Quote Post
Drew
post 10th Jan 2011, 05:15pm
Post #40

Resident
Member No.: 6,118
QUOTE (betty2 @ 26th Jun 2007, 09:26am) *
Was there not a cinema there called "The Park" and do any of you remember the bluebird cafe

still here in glesca

I remember the Park and the Bluebird. both were on the north side of Alexandra Parade on Meadowbank Street with the Parade Cinema on the south side of the Parade. The Park was demolished in the late 1950's I think and the Parade was a bingo hall by 1966 although I think it did have a short reprieve at some stage.
I was brought up in Culloden Street b 1951. the Parade, Park and bigger Rex cinema at the start of the Edinburgh Road were all used by us. I recall going in to the Bluebell for a penny ice lolly before going to the minors on a Saturday morning. When the Parade stopped being a cinema we all moved to the ABC Minors at the Rex, which was quite posh for us.

+Quote Post
Drew
post 10th Jan 2011, 05:23pm
Post #41

Resident
QUOTE (Luceo @ 26th Jun 2007, 04:39am) *
I think the cinema near the Parade Cinema might have been the Dennistoun Picture House in Armadale Street. For a picture and some more information follow the link:

Dennistoun

Luceo

Luceo,
The Dennistoun Picture House was the third cinema in this immediate area and was not the Park. The Park cinema was in Meadowpark St north of the Parade on the east side of the street. I recall the Dennistoun Picture House but dont know if I was ever in it.

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 16th Feb 2011, 07:37am
Post #42

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
QUOTE (*Jill* @ 28th Jan 2010, 12:20am) *
Hi.. I lived at 151 Sword Street between the year 1969 (born) to circa 1977. Our family name was Ryan. Both myself and my older brother went briefly to Thomson Street Primary School. I have great memories of living in Dennistoun and the freedom we had to wander the streets as small kids and the streets were FULL of kids. I believe that all kids from aged 4 became street wise beyond their years.

I remember....
Playing kick the can in the backie.
Dancing and singing on top of the midgie bin housing to entertain all the mums & housewives who were hangin ooot the back windaes watchin.. rolleyes.gif
Shock horror, wandering along the railway line searching for crab apples and having to lie back in the bush when a train passed, OMG.. eating!!! the crab apples which were most probably poisonous with toxic fumes.. haha.
I remember calling everybody Auntie and Uncle in the tenement we lived.
The Bower family that lived downstairs.
My first "boyfriend" Mark Scott who lived on the ground floor.
My best friend Jacqueline Connor who lived across the street. - Where are they now, I wonder.
Playing hide and seek in the condemned tenements in a neighboring street... condemned because they were falling down.. hmmm. .. but yet a wonderful playground at the time.
Hearing the sound of the drums as the Orange Walk paraded down Duke Street and all the kids running for streets to find it, as young at 4!
The best italian ice cream parlor on the corner of Sword St and Duke St. Beautiful classic cafe. I remember it vividly, as I do the owner...a small chubby Italian man with a hint of a Glasgow accent. Total eccentric. Wonderful.
Hearing church bells and running like to wind to catch the scramble (pennies thrown at a wedding for kids to "fight" for..), you and 50 other kids!!
Collecting glass bottles and receiving some pennies for them at the shop, then buying a "poke" of 3 for a half penny sports gums... bliss.
A bull escaping from the slaughterhouse on Duke St and trapping my mum and I in a phone box...Oh.. haha

I have an endless list of events and memories that would shock parents of today to the core, I myself now being a parent. But we survived and I have but great memories of having a carefree, playful, adventurous and fearless childhood.

If there is anyone here who remembers us living there or lived in this neighbourhood around this time, i would love to hear from you.

Jill

My father was born at 127 Sword Street but a bit before your time. He left in 1923 ! We walked up Sword Street in 1987 and he was surprised he didn't see anyone he recognised. He was at Thomson street and Onslow Drive. He moved to Ballindalloch Drive when he was 14. I walked past Thomson Street school about ten years ago. It had been converted into flats then.

+Quote Post
Drew
post 15th Mar 2011, 03:32pm
Post #43

Resident
QUOTE (Dave Todd @ 9th Aug 2008, 09:40pm) *
Hi folks - I lived at 293 Onslow Dr and went to Ali Parade from 1960-66. I remember 'rakin the midgies' , Climbin' the dykes and making gang huts in the air raid shelters in the back green with my pals - Jimmy & Gordon Thomson, Gordon Bryce , Stewart McIndoe and the Lupi's ( Mario and Carlo in Cumbenauld road) where are you all now ?

Now living in Cotswolds -

David, good to see you are still keeping an eye on the old place. Hope all is well,
Drew McFarlane

+Quote Post
mayaustralia
post 19th Aug 2011, 10:05am
Post #44

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,460
QUOTE (valleyboy38 @ 5th Mar 2008, 05:10pm) *
Welcome to the board May somebody will know you im sure its a wee world in here

thanks for the welcome valleyboy38, hoping someone will remember some of the families i was brought up with. our close faced the alisons haulage yard, the house there was a family called hamiltons great people. then the washy was directly attached to them. the hanleys were our neighbours. big family sally,marree,vera,kate. the nelsons lived up the next close margaret and betty and 2 brothers. someone might remember mary joyce she was a money lender and a lifeline to most people in the area.couldn't get up the close on a friday night packed with people waiting to pay her, most could only afford the interest.I have a sister sadie, my parents died very young,left a family of six kids all at school except the youg one that was me. my sister was married at 16 with a baby and she took over the family this was the only way to keep us out of the orphanage.my dad had a paper round in the gallowgate he was called mick mcdonald came from the malvern,his brothers were will,andrew the youngest who i have heard had something to do with a new bridge that was built in the 60s or 70s maybe somebody will remember.I think that is enough to go on with.great to hear you all keep it coming mayaustralia

+Quote Post
Waverley 87
post 6th Sep 2011, 12:08pm
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,602
Hi May
I noticed your post and showed it to to my wife Isobel who lived at 151 Bluevale St from her birth in 1950 to the mid-sixties her maiden name is Walker, she has 2 brothers Drew and Thomas, she knew all of the families you mentioned and it took her back to her childhood she spoke about it for hours.

Regards
Waverley 87

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.