Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cranhill
Rating 5 V
mad mac
post 31st Mar 2009, 02:12pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,729
we moved to cranhill 1965 my mum and dad and my brothers george mick gerry tam it was the first time we had a inside toilet and bath and we played football night and day the pals i can remember are jim mc lean john boyle paul mc carter david marshall chris burns john tennant bobby russell we all played on the sloped bit of grass at bellrock st and starpoint st we also played for st modans and saint maria goretti boys guild and the guys names i remember are gerry conner willy muir jim mc lean frank daly joe mc ghee jim daly brien farrell john crawely willy phinn rab mc guire bobby addams paul conway and many more also the guy who run it then was called tommy mc mahon who went to canada with his new wife avril .the good thing then was that there were all sorts of clubs on every night and you went to them
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Scottmac*
post 2nd Apr 2009, 11:44pm
Post #32

Hi all, moved to Bellrock St in 1984, but my gran lived in the crescent for years. I hung about with Spudo Brady, still my best m8 but called plain old George now also hung about wi Sezzie, Salty John Barrett, Gary Trotter etc good to read about fellow Cranhill residents, and btw whoever mentioned the science teacher with all the animals, it was Doc Hampton I think.

+Quote Post
kevster
post 24th Apr 2009, 06:37pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,848
Hi all, Kevin Barrett here and new to the site, i went to the Moady and the Greg, its good to read about names from the past. LINDAMAC I came from Bellrock court in Cranhill and was a mate of your hubby Niel (pele)Mc Donald. we went for a couple of beers the last time you were back here in Glasgow ( i think it was your 40th Linda ?) along with your son and John Williamson. John and i still mates and meet up for a few beers and the odd bike run, he's going to be a Granda this June. I have 2 older brothers Gerry and John and a younger sister Marian. I live in Stepps now as you all know not that far away. I recently went to see the band "Scheme"(yes they're still going) although only 2 of the original's left but still brilliant.(bet that brings back loads of Dalriada memories to most out there ?).
The last i heard Paul (taggsy)Mc Taggart was back staying in Cranhill. Stuart(minter) and his brother Gordon Munro still live there to. Sadly Billy Wilson also from Bellrock Court passed away a couple of years back. Still mates with Wilson Palfreman and Duster from Cranhill, they went to Cranhill sec.
To all now in Ozz thanks for rubbin it in about the great weather ( geeze sum) lol.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 25th Apr 2009, 03:34am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
QUOTE (kevster @ 25th Apr 2009, 05:06am) *
Hi all, Kevin Barrett here and new to the site, i went to the Moady and the Greg, its good to read about names from the past. LINDAMAC I came from Bellrock court in Cranhill and was a mate of your hubby Niel (pele)Mc Donald. we went for a couple of beers the last time you were back here in Glasgow ( i think it was your 40th Linda ?) along with your son and John Williamson. John and i still mates and meet up for a few beers and the odd bike run, he's going to be a Granda this June. I have 2 older brothers Gerry and John and a younger sister Marian. I live in Stepps now as you all know not that far away. I recently went to see the band "Scheme"(yes they're still going) although only 2 of the original's left but still brilliant.(bet that brings back loads of Dalriada memories to most out there ?).
The last i heard Paul (taggsy)Mc Taggart was back staying in Cranhill. Stuart(minter) and his brother Gordon Munro still live there to. Sadly Billy Wilson also from Bellrock Court passed away a couple of years back. Still mates with Wilson Palfreman and Duster from Cranhill, they went to Cranhill sec.
To all now in Ozz thanks for rubbin it in about the great weather ( geeze sum) lol.

OMG what Killed Billy wilson then sooooooooo young?G'Day tae ya Kevster,I remember you well,you danced with my best friend the night I met Neil LOL How the heck ur ye man? Neils said to give you his email address so you can email him for a catch up,we were home again last August september & october but tried in vain to find where John & Carol williamson were living ,it had been 6yrs since we had saw them last & hadn't transferred their address to the new address book etc ye know the auld story time passes ye think yer never gonna meet again so ye forget tae re add thum tae the new address book sorta thing anyhoo Kevster do please contact Neil he is wanting to contact you as well as John Williamson so give him Neils email as well would ye? hey perhaps if you can get their phone number we can frighten the crap oota thum by calling thum hehehe same goes for you Kevster send us yer number email addy etc via a PM so we can get Neil back in touch with you guys,he tried so hard to find you all when we were home last year celebrating our silver wedding yees missed oot oan a rerr party LOL

Neils email is as follows neilmac61@live.com.au

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
the daleks
post 1st May 2009, 10:08am
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,864
good to hear from so many people, trying to keep the "old cranhill" torch lit. It was the best place to grow up, in the 70s & 80s especially, a real thriving community, with its own arts project, newspaper, and the fantastic park. The park brings back memories from the good 70s summers, esp 1976, and it was packed day and night with bowlers, tennis hopefuls, pitch n putters, footie players, couples walking hand in hand, and families lying across blankets, guzzling diluting orange.I always point out to people, cynical about the East End, that they missed out big time being brought up somewhere else; we really had it all, and not to mention ready made pals for all ages. believe it or not, i can remember almost everyone who has contributed to date, and nice to hear from the Mcmanuses, who i think all deserted us for sunny Glenrothes; great family. Nice also to read the poignant memories of those who have died, good to keep their memory alive.I also remember well the Barrett family, another nice family, from the Court, as was pell Mcdonald who is mentioned earlier. Pell lived near his fellow"Ginger Ninja" Tam Smith, who i have met within the last 10years give or take a year or two. Does anyone remember "Big Drew" who lived on Bellrock St, across from Startpoint St, and used to play with all the younger guys at football on that patch of grass at "Starry". He always wore his (tartan) slippers, and tried his best to oust the youngsters, even though he was yonks older than them. The he would go to the Golfhill van that came round, and smoke his lungs out during his "rest". Hundreds more stories to follow.

+Quote Post
mad mac
post 1st May 2009, 12:20pm
Post #36

Unpacking
now there there is a name from the past big drew low the most famous man in cranhill we played a lot of football with drew and after every game he bought the juice at the golfhill van he also went everywhere with us and played a big part in us growing up in cranhill when ever i meet my pals from cranhill and we talk about the past his name always crops up does anybody know how he is he must be a good age now

+Quote Post
the daleks
post 4th May 2009, 01:57pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,864
A fellow Dalek reminded me recently of the Cranhill gangs circa 1974/75. There was the Cranhill fleet, and the Cody, although for all i know, it could all have been the one. They fough The Ziggy from Ruchazie, over the old wooden bridge at the Lognstone flats, though when i say "fought", what i mean was they took it in turns to run at each other, lobbing bricks and bottles, and the only ones who got hurt were the ones that fell, who would get a mini-kicking from the other gang. When a woman tried to cross the bridge, they would all shout "hold your fire" trying to look like a bunch of goodies, then go back to throwing missiles. It was always good to watch, and the ringleaders were like small-time celebrities and dressed accordingly. The attire of the day was the long black crombie, with the wee red silk hankie in the pocket, argylle jumpers, levi stay press troosers, and spats, which were either black n white, or black n brown. Terry or Adam brogues, and weejins were also in at the time, as well as Simon shirts. I can remember Billy (BOW) Ross, Cammy Martin, Brian(BJ) Johnston, and a guy called Randall being involved in the scene, but to be honest, they werent really bad guys if you know what i mean.

+Quote Post
mad mac
post 6th May 2009, 12:17am
Post #38

Unpacking
QUOTE (the daleks @ 4th May 2009, 02:26pm) *
A fellow Dalek reminded me recently of the Cranhill gangs circa 1974/75. There was the Cranhill fleet, and the Cody, although for all i know, it could all have been the one. They fough The Ziggy from Ruchazie, over the old wooden bridge at the Lognstone flats, though when i say "fought", what i mean was they took it in turns to run at each other, lobbing bricks and bottles, and the only ones who got hurt were the ones that fell, who would get a mini-kicking from the other gang. When a woman tried to cross the bridge, they would all shout "hold your fire" trying to look like a bunch of goodies, then go back to throwing missiles. It was always good to watch, and the ringleaders were like small-time celebrities and dressed accordingly. The attire of the day was the long black crombie, with the wee red silk hankie in the pocket, argylle jumpers, levi stay press troosers, and spats, which were either black n white, or black n brown. Terry or Adam brogues, and weejins were also in at the time, as well as Simon shirts. I can remember Billy (BOW) Ross, Cammy Martin, Brian(BJ) Johnston, and a guy called Randall being involved in the scene, but to be honest, they werent really bad guys if you know what i mean.

+Quote Post
nessie80
post 31st May 2009, 01:20am
Post #39

Settling In
Member No.: 6,961
My step dads family came from Cranhill, his name was Gerry McCulloch, and he had a sister May who was married to a Jimmy Pollock, there kids names are James, mary and Linda. All the lassies used to work for Watsons Catering, and me and my ma would work with them on weekends, back in the early 70's. I know Jimmy moved to Saltcoats back in the early 90's.My brother James has been trying to trace the family, as they lost touch after Gerry and my ma died, and he moved away to Nottingham to go to university. I know he would love to hear from any of them. my e-mail address is glescalassie@yahoo.com....

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 31st May 2009, 05:16am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
QUOTE (the daleks @ 1st May 2009, 08:37pm) *
good to hear from so many people, trying to keep the "old cranhill" torch lit. It was the best place to grow up, in the 70s & 80s especially, a real thriving community, with its own arts project, newspaper, and the fantastic park. The park brings back memories from the good 70s summers, esp 1976, and it was packed day and night with bowlers, tennis hopefuls, pitch n putters, footie players, couples walking hand in hand, and families lying across blankets, guzzling diluting orange.I always point out to people, cynical about the East End, that they missed out big time being brought up somewhere else; we really had it all, and not to mention ready made pals for all ages. believe it or not, i can remember almost everyone who has contributed to date, and nice to hear from the Mcmanuses, who i think all deserted us for sunny Glenrothes; great family. Nice also to read the poignant memories of those who have died, good to keep their memory alive.I also remember well the Barrett family, another nice family, from the Court, as was pell Mcdonald who is mentioned earlier. Pell lived near his fellow"Ginger Ninja" Tam Smith, who i have met within the last 10years give or take a year or two. Does anyone remember "Big Drew" who lived on Bellrock St, across from Startpoint St, and used to play with all the younger guys at football on that patch of grass at "Starry". He always wore his (tartan) slippers, and tried his best to oust the youngsters, even though he was yonks older than them. The he would go to the Golfhill van that came round, and smoke his lungs out during his "rest". Hundreds more stories to follow.

Gday mate says Pell himself to you yer self Dalek Matey,he asks who ur ye? LOL laugh.gif He wants tae catch up with ye & find oot more aboot ye & The ither Ginja Ninja Tam Smith whom was a good pal of Neils,hope you won't mind sending a PM through meLindamac aka Linda Macdonald Neils other hauf. so if you wouldn't mind Dalek please let us know whom you are frae amongst the many fabulous buncha folk frae Cranhill biggrin.gif or if ye prefer sending Neil an email then ye cin dae so via this address........ neilmac61@live.com.au

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Adamswell
post 1st Jun 2009, 06:40am
Post #41

Settling In
Member No.: 6,226
QUOTE (tam mc manus @ 31st Mar 2009, 01:37pm) *
we went o cranhill in 1965 and stayed at 124 bellrock st have many great mems from that time my brothers were george mick gerry we all went to the mody and the greg and played with boys guild football team.i can remember david marshall jim mc lean bobby russell .chris burns john boyel paul mc carter john veich cambell adamson john tennant joe rafferty.had my first pint in the daliada

Tam,
My friend Linda-mac told me about this site and I joined it recently she rang yesterday and told me about the comment you made about some of the people you remember from Cranhill. She was particularly interested in the name Paul McCarter as that's what my married name is and she was wondering if it was a relation of mine. If its the same Paul you are talking about who lived in Startpoint Street he is my husband Jack's brother. Shouldn't be two Paul McCarters surely.....!!
Wilma

--------------------
Take time to make time for to-morrow may be too late

+Quote Post
mad mac
post 2nd Jun 2009, 10:42pm
Post #42

Unpacking
QUOTE (Adamswell @ 1st Jun 2009, 07:09am) *
Tam,
My friend Linda-mac told me about this site and I joined it recently she rang yesterday and told me about the comment you made about some of the people you remember from Cranhill. She was particularly interested in the name Paul McCarter as that's what my married name is and she was wondering if it was a relation of mine. If its the same Paul you are talking about who lived in Startpoint Street he is my husband Jack's brother. Shouldn't be two Paul McCarters surely.....!!
Wilma

Wilma, The paul mc carter i am talking about.Had a brother called mick cant remember jack the last i heard paul was in jersey hope this was of help

+Quote Post
Adamswell
post 3rd Jun 2009, 09:24am
Post #43

Settling In
QUOTE (mad mac @ 2nd Jun 2009, 11:11pm) *
Wilma, The paul mc carter i am talking about.Had a brother called mick cant remember jack the last i heard paul was in jersey hope this was of help

Tam,
Paul McCarter also has two other brothers, Michael and Joseph and his older brother is Jack or John which is his proper name but is always called Jack. Paul used to go to work in Jersey.. and was over there again recently to work. Paul is now living in Liverpool but was over here about 4 years ago visiting us with his wife June. I will email Paul and ask if he knows you and get back to you when I can.

Wilma

--------------------

+Quote Post
mad mac
post 4th Jun 2009, 11:24pm
Post #44

Unpacking
QUOTE (Adamswell @ 3rd Jun 2009, 09:53am) *
Tam,
Paul McCarter also has two other brothers, Michael and Joseph and his older brother is Jack or John which is his proper name but is always called Jack. Paul used to go to work in Jersey.. and was over there again recently to work. Paul is now living in Liverpool but was over here about 4 years ago visiting us with his wife June. I will email Paul and ask if he knows you and get back to you when I can.

Wilma

wilma, that's brilliant me and paul were good mates way back along with john boyle,jim mc gill,big jock mc lean ,hammy and a lot more .I could tell a lot of stories about the dalriada but they would shut this board down but please give him and his family my best wishe's

+Quote Post
Adamswell
post 5th Jun 2009, 01:10am
Post #45

Settling In
QUOTE (mad mac @ 4th Jun 2009, 11:53pm) *
wilma, that's brilliant me and paul were good mates way back along with john boyle,jim mc gill,big jock mc lean ,hammy and a lot more .I could tell a lot of stories about the dalriada but they would shut this board down but please give him and his family my best wishe's

Tam,
I am pleased that you have found a long lost mate in Paul...oh! by the way he has another brother Owen who came out to Australia also. I have already emailed Paul's wife (Paul still may be in Jersey) so just waiting on a reply and will let you know.....maybe you both could exchange email addresses and get to chatting about old times.

Glad to be of assistance. Wish I could find some long lost pals too, but its been a long while since I left Glasgow (1965).
Wilma

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.